Audeze - MM-Series - MM-500
Mar 10, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #346 of 369
I have a head scratcher, something I've never encountered. So afer I bought my MM-500's I bought a reasonably priced (read off-shore) 4.4mm balanced cable to try out. Sounds great. So a couple months later, fairly recently I bought a Corpse Cable Grave Digger 4.4mm to Mini XLR, great cables, at least to me as I have 3 others of different configurations. So I plug in the Corpse Cable and I get very reduced sound from the left cup and nothing from the right cup. Reverse the headphone connectors and same thing. So I'm thinking shoot, a cable issue. So I pop the cheap cable back in and all is good. So I'm very surprised but thought what the heck, try the Corpse in a different pair of headphones so I plug the Corpse into my LCD -4Z's and much to my surprise everything in both cups sound great, even better than great!

So then just for the heck of it I plug the unbalanced cable that came with the 500's in and using a 1/4" to 3.5 adapter try them and everything is fine. So for some reason the MM-500's don't like the 4.4mm balanced Corpse but the 4Z loves the 4.4mm balanced Corpse. But the MM-500's are fine thru the cheap offshore 4.4mm balanced and the standard Audeze cable. All being driven directly from my SONY NW-WM1A DAP which always (knock on wood) performs flawlessly. Very odd, anyone have any thoughts? Thank
Strange, I have bought a custom cable from Marco custom cables with Aeco 4pin xlr and furutech mini xlrs on other side and never had issue. Also using the same cable for Atriums.

Mar 10, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #347 of 369
No issues for me with a Norne Audio cable terminated 4.4mm, using with MM-500.

Jul 31, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #348 of 369
I have a head scratcher, something I've never encountered. So afer I bought my MM-500's I bought a reasonably priced (read off-shore) 4.4mm balanced cable to try out. Sounds great. So a couple months later, fairly recently I bought a Corpse Cable Grave Digger 4.4mm to Mini XLR, great cables, at least to me as I have 3 others of different configurations. So I plug in the Corpse Cable and I get very reduced sound from the left cup and nothing from the right cup. Reverse the headphone connectors and same thing. So I'm thinking shoot, a cable issue. So I pop the cheap cable back in and all is good. So I'm very surprised but thought what the heck, try the Corpse in a different pair of headphones so I plug the Corpse into my LCD -4Z's and much to my surprise everything in both cups sound great, even better than great!

So then just for the heck of it I plug the unbalanced cable that came with the 500's in and using a 1/4" to 3.5 adapter try them and everything is fine. So for some reason the MM-500's don't like the 4.4mm balanced Corpse but the 4Z loves the 4.4mm balanced Corpse. But the MM-500's are fine thru the cheap offshore 4.4mm balanced and the standard Audeze cable. All being driven directly from my SONY NW-WM1A DAP which always (knock on wood) performs flawlessly. Very odd, anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!
Speaking as someone who's been a cable maker in the past, my best guess is connector tolerances. Some times the male/female connectors tolerances vary slightly causing a bad or no connection in bad cases, or at worst can outright damage each other or starlight up not fit. This is mostly with connectors from different companies - which will usually be the case.
A bad/uneven connection could cause a much higher resistance if it hits just "right" or wrong, if you will.

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #349 of 369
Reminds me a lot of my issue with Schiit Audio's XLR input, and hartaudiocables XLRs plugs.

On their own, neither have ANY issues. My Schiit Jotunheim 2's XLR works with everything I"ve connected to it... but is intermittent with every single hart audio cable I've have used in the XLR plug. They fit a little loose and jitter a bit when touched, causing phasing/balance issues.

But the Hart Audio cables work 100% fine with any other XLR input amps I've used.

It's JUST those two together that don't work.

Aug 20, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #350 of 369
I am sad to report i have been getting more and more hairline/stress fractures on the plastic connector between the drivers and rods. Today, it eventually gave and broke down. I hope Audeze can work with me and offer a solution, as this seems to have just happened from daily normal wear/tear and the stress that comes from the bands going around your head/ears. You can tell that the origin point of stress is from where the screws connect. I absolutely babied/took care of these things. They have either been on my head, or on my headphone stand. I can't fathom how this could of possibly happened unless this is a point of weakness in the design or the unit I have is defective in some way.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #352 of 369
I am sad to report i have been getting more and more hairline/stress fractures on the plastic connector between the drivers and rods. Today, it eventually gave and broke down. I hope Audeze can work with me and offer a solution, as this seems to have just happened from daily normal wear/tear and the stress that comes from the bands going around your head/ears. You can tell that the origin point of stress is from where the screws connect. I absolutely babied/took care of these things. They have either been on my head, or on my headphone stand. I can't fathom how this could of possibly happened unless this is a point of weakness in the design or the unit I have is defective in some way.
Same happened to me few months ago, just by wearing them. But the new carbon lcd-5 headband I got is still working fine hopefully it will stay like that.

Aug 20, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #354 of 369
Aug 20, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #355 of 369
Sorry to see this but thanks for sharing! I'm curious to know how common this issue is. I also wonder if the screws are being over tightened from the factory. Hopefully Audeze will take care of you and get to the root cause.

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #359 of 369
I notice how little people talk about this headphone.

Recently I got it and really enjoy it. Due to its really low power requirement characteristic, I just run it with my Apple or questyle dongle and I get a enjoyable sound.

The only thing I notice is the bass dont slam quite deep, but it’s also the same thing I felt with with the lcd 5 and I’m not into the affair of EQ. Other than that I enjoyed the sound a lot . I think it’s not often you get good quality sound that’s easy to drive especially for planar.

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #360 of 369
I sold it recently just because of headfi influence to buy more unneeded gear (really dangerous place here :))...but I can say I really got a small increment when I got Utopias. The mm's are really great deal for the money especially it can be purchased used for very low price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back