Audeze - MM-Series - MM-500
Sep 11, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #212 of 380
Just swapped in the Neotech UPOCC 4x 22AWG solid core silver cable [Furutech terminations, Mundorf Supreme solder]:

IMG_20210114_092624380.jpg

No EQ. Everything sounds just about right to me. Looks like the Audeze MM-500 may be staying around for a while--perhaps a long(er) while. : )

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #213 of 380
I think MM-500 may become understate headphone. Not a flagship, not using super exotic technology, don't have option to choose artistic colour, and coming from big name brand in headphone market (instead small and unique company).

However, MM-500 speak high by itself to anyone who ever tried it and compared it to other solid contender in this price range. The technical capabilities are really great, timbre presentation is accurate, and still able to deliver some musical notes to enjoy.

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #216 of 380
Had a lengthy--as in: "I had to tear myself away(!)"--session with the MM-500 last night, rounded out by listening to both Star Tracks albums (Erich Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops Orchestra/TelArc DDD).

The Audeze proved remarkably adroit and capable in their rendering of these recordings, with a generous and credible sense of 3D space, as well as orchestral scope, sweep and scale; technically proficient, energetic and focused, yet without losing musicality and aesthetic engagement.

From what JAnonymous5150 has (preliminarily) related about the MM-500's sound characteristics (vis-a-vis Audeze LCD-2C, LCD-X, LCD-4, LCD-5), then given my own listening preferences and what I myself am similarly hearing from the MM-500, I am now relieved that I was able to bypass the LCD-X interim "experiment"/expenditure en route.

Frankly, the only other Audeze product that I have spent any appreciable amount of time with were the (original) LCD-2. To me that Audeze "house sound" was too dark, lacking the HF balance I would want.

I listened to *Henri Mancini's "Life Force" theme three times: well sorted out, weighted and proportioned. Here are the Mancini, Kunzel and Williams offerings, respectively:

*(I consider Mancini a composer, arranger and conductor of true genius.)

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #217 of 380
You could have liked LCD-X 2021 though, many prefer them over MM-500, but in the end it all boils down to personal preferences, choose your poison situation as neither one is perfect.
Just saying as you are "glad" for not trying, you never know what you'll find.

Sep 15, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #218 of 380
As is wont in your commentary (on this thread and others), Andrew_WOT, you have a valid point.

Thank you.

However, based on the reviews and impressions gleaned so-far from those who have actually heard the LCD-X (in one or more of its iterations) alongside the MM-500, the LCD-X 2021 may not have been de-coupled quite enough from Audeze's traditional tuning (and/or what of my own experience with Audeze has clung to my memory) to suit my listening preferences.

Should opportunity arise, I would like to eventually a/b the LCD-X and the MM-500. But meanwhile, given my limited resources, both time- and dollar-wise, the MM-500 will have to do for now.
:beerchug:
[Home-brewed kombucha toast!]

IMG_20220913_171525131[1].jpg
(raspberry-ginger, with a splash of cherry)

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #220 of 380
Had a lengthy--as in: "I had to tear myself away(!)"--session with the MM-500 last night, rounded out by listening to both Star Tracks albums (Erich Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops Orchestra/TelArc DDD).

The Audeze proved remarkably adroit and capable in their rendering of these recordings, with a generous and credible sense of 3D space, as well as orchestral scope, sweep and scale; technically proficient, energetic and focused, yet without losing musicality and aesthetic engagement.

From what JAnonymous5150 has (preliminarily) related about the MM-500's sound characteristics (vis-a-vis Audeze LCD-2C, LCD-X, LCD-4, LCD-5), then given my own listening preferences and what I myself am similarly hearing from the MM-500, I am now relieved that I was able to bypass the LCD-X interim "experiment"/expenditure en route.

Frankly, the only other Audeze product that I have spent any appreciable amount of time with were the (original) LCD-2. To me that Audeze "house sound" was too dark, lacking the HF balance I would want.

I listened to *Henri Mancini's "Life Force" theme three times: well sorted out, weighted and proportioned. Here are the Mancini, Kunzel and Williams offerings, respectively:

*(I consider Mancini a composer, arranger and conductor of true genius.)

Thank you @pataburd, very helpful as I listen a lot of classical music. One question is how MM-500 handles smaller scale, non-orchestral music, such as string quartets or especially solo piano which I listen to often. Thanks for any impressions you can share!

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #221 of 380
Will plan to queue up some chamber and more solo piano music for tomorrow, Deo volente.
To my ears, every genre I have tried so far has sounded very good, poor recordings excepted, with the MM-500.

e.g. Schubert, 4 Impromptus, Op. 90 D. 899: No. 3 in G-flat major, played by Khatia Buniatishvili sounds very good:

Might work in one or two pieces from Pictures at an Exhibition (Ravel/Mussorgsky) before retiring.

. . . ended up finishing Pictures . . .

[No complaints.]

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #222 of 380
Will plan to queue up some chamber and more solo piano music for tomorrow, Deo volente.
To my ears, every genre I have tried so far has sounded very good, poor recordings excepted, with the MM-500.

e.g. Schubert, 4 Impromptus, Op. 90 D. 899: No. 3 in G-flat major, played by Khatia Buniatishvili sounds very good:

Might work in one or two pieces from Pictures at an Exhibition (Ravel/Mussorgsky) before retiring.

. . . ended up finishing Pictures . . .

[No complaints.]

Great news, thanks @pataburd! The Schubert Impromptus are wonderful pieces, very suitable as test tracks in Ms. Buniatishvili's capable hands and fingers!

Sep 16, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #223 of 380
LoryWiv,
The MM-500's delivery is clean, cogent and vivid.

Each key strike is individuated, highlighting Khatia Buniatishvili's peerless technical proficiency, while at the same time conveying her emotive artistry.

(I plan to revisit her fine interpretation of Bach's "Sheep May Safely Graze" later today, Deo volente.)

From my experience, if I had to summarize: The Audeze MM-500 provide a judicious measure of everything captured there in the recording, with neither undue parsimony nor undue excess, while still managing to preserve musicality.

Sep 16, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #224 of 380
LoryWiv,
The MM-500's delivery is clean, cogent and vivid.

Each key strike is individuated, highlighting Khatia Buniatishvili's peerless technical proficiency, while at the same time conveying her emotive artistry.

(I plan to revisit her fine interpretation of Bach's "Sheep May Safely Graze" later today, Deo volente.)

From my experience, if I had to summarize: The Audeze MM-500 provide a judicious measure of everything captured there in the recording, with neither undue parsimony nor undue excess, while still managing to preserve musicality.
Nicely articulated and I am very interested. I hope to listen to it out of an output transformerless amp at CanJam as my only concern is whether my Euforia will drive it well. I corresponded with Feliks-Audio and they indicated that the Euforia anniversary edition is rather unique amongst OTLs in its ability to drive low impedance planers, but obviously a road test would be the final arbiter of success. Given the sensitivity of 100 decibels I am optimistic but can't wait to hear it if I can. If not, it may be worth a blind buy. I also have a HiBy RS6 dap which puts out reasonable power and that could be a winning combination as well. Thanks so much for your excellent impressions @pataburd!

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #225 of 380
Keep us posted.
I had another late session with the MM-500 last night . . . This time it was Bossa Nova.
How do you like the Auteurs? Have never owned ZMF, been have definitely considered them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back