Audeze MM-100
Sep 25, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #1,186 of 1,445
So that’s a good thing right ? Means they’re similar ? Cos someone was really coming down on the tuning he experienced a few pages back here.
I guess it is what it is. I don't know if that person likes the LCD-X either. There is no doubt that they sound different though. Unfortunately, I didn't get a whole lot of time to listen to them back to back since my MM-100s right channel connection is misbehaving. Something between the cable connector and the driver isn't making a solid connection.

Sep 26, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #1,187 of 1,445
@ squibble

It seems you've found a new error here, this time on the right can connector? Could you elaborate a bit, please? There was a new one on reddit again also.

On the Audeze product page it now says: "The first round of pre-order shipments has begun! Order now to hold your place for our November production run."
Seems the previously announced October production run has been postponed? Hopefully the extra time will allow for any niggles to be sorted, so the next run will give us all correctly working MM-100s? Audeze?

We still haven't heard back from Audeze if they'll offer a leather earpads option for the cans. Or will we have to wait for Dekoni to do that?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #1,188 of 1,445
@ squibble

It seems you've found a new error here, this time on the right can connector? Could you elaborate a bit, please? There was a new one on reddit again also.

On the Audeze product page it now says: "The first round of pre-order shipments has begun! Order now to hold your place for our November production run."
Seems the previously announced October production run has been portponed? Hopefully the extra time will allow for any niggles to be sorted, so the next run will give us all correctly working MM-100s? Audeze?

We still haven't heard back from Audeze if they'll offer a leather earpads option for the cans - or we'll have to wait for Dekoni for that?

It doesn't seem to be a connector issue. I think it's a bad solder joint or a shorted strand of wire somewhere. There is a cable that runs from the R ear cup to the L ear cup, and the cable goes into each ear cup where the hinge pins (?) connect to the main ear cup cylinder. I can sort of get the signal to come back if I apply pressure to the place where the cable enters the ear cup, but it still sounds like it's down about 2-3 dB and not as bright as it once was. That's at best. At worst, it sounds like I have all audio panned left.

I already got in contact with support, so I'll be sending the MM-100s back to Audeze for evaluation/repair.

Sep 27, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #1,189 of 1,445
Let me just say, that it was never my intention to offend any member of the forum, irrespective whether amateur audiophile or sponsor / headphone manufacturer.
This is all good. No offense taken and I agree with many of your points as well.

Cable mess
  • What sort of production workflow do you have, that allows for "occasional" cable mix-up ?
  • When customers started complaining, your immediate reaction was: "customers do not know how to plug a cable into our headphones".
Unlike all our other models, MM100 has a very different internal cabling structure.
We had an initial complaint and we found out that the issue was the end user had not plugged the cable all the way. When we got a second complaint, we checked it and found out that the assembly procedure was a bit unclear and it had potential for the person assembling to make a mistake.
  • Pinnacle of arrogance - I spoke to the person who answered the original post and he actually tested quite a few headphones and then answered the question. As I mentioned earlier this problem was only in a small subset and he did not run into the issue.
  • I am sorry you feel that way. if you meet any of us at a CanJam or perhaps Munich Highend, I think you will change your opinion.
Pads
  • You put leather pads in your flagship headphones - Earpads have a lot of influence on the final sound quality. LCD5s have a sloped earned and the surface area that touches the cheeks is very small. Other LCD headphones have more surface area. The MM100 driver was redesigned and it created some additional issues. We found out that the Gel-earpads genuinely sounded better and we made the change.
I agree with you, we have to be better in communication when things change and we will try to be better going forward.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 27, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #1,190 of 1,445
This is all good. No offense taken and I agree with many of your points as well.
I agree with you, we have to be better in communication when things change and we will try to be better going forward.

I appreciate your professional response. Thank you.

Looking forward to testing MM-100 :)

Sep 28, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #1,191 of 1,445
Got mine today.
These are my first planars and I’m not an experienced audiophile.

They feel great really premium and I got the headband settled with one side on different holes than the other. Nice and comfy.

I’m coming from ath m50 which I have for years. I put on some of my own mixes in ableton and some favorite tracks. I immediately notice that volume drops a little and the bass is so clean. Feels neutral.

Which leads me to say ath m50 are so freaking bass heavy and in your face. It’s way too much. I suddenly hearing what neutral might be like. It’s nicely served to you and not shoved in your ear.

All in all I’m really happy right now I’ll give it more listening later on.

Sep 28, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #1,192 of 1,445
Got mine today.

They feel great really premium and I got the headband settled with one side on different holes than the other. Nice and comfy.

I’m coming from ath m50 which I have for years. I put on some of my own mixes in ableton and some favorite tracks. I immediately notice that volume drops a little and the bass is so clean. Feels neutral.

Which leads me to say ath m50 are so freaking bass heavy and in your face. It’s way too much. I suddenly hearing what neutral might be like. It’s nicely served to you and not shoved in your ear.

Cool deal, man. I'm surprised your ears are still attached to the side of your head after years of the medieval-like torture of wearing ATH-M50s. :)

I bet the treble is far cleaner and more articulate than with the ATH-M50s. I owned ATH-M40x and M50x early in my audiophile journey, and once I moved on from them, I learned the treble on both of those cans -- but especially the M50x -- was a hot, grainy mess.

Enjoy your MM-100s!

Sep 28, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #1,193 of 1,445
Got mine today.

While the bass is clean, do you feel it goes deep. Enjoy your new cans. I might be joining you soon.

Sep 29, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #1,194 of 1,445
While the bass is clean, do you feel it goes deep. Enjoy your new cans. I might be joining you soon.
You mean deep as in frequency extension ? It most definitely does. But I guess it depends what deep is to you.

I don’t have any other audeze model to compare it to or any other planar. To tell you I feel the bass slams and punches like people say about the lcd x. No I can’t.

I’m also used to m50 so at first the bass on the mm 100 was underwhelming but then I realized that’s a good thing.

It does feel served the way it was meant. No hyping no shelfing.

And just like @pk4425 said the treble is horrible on the m50 I totally hear it now. When I go back to them now it’s like wow that just not right. I think mm 100 highs are awesome really detailed

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #1,195 of 1,445
Thinking of picking one of these up, but I wonder how they compare to the Maxwells.

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #1,197 of 1,445
Ryan Ho appears to have a monopoly on MM-100 YT reviews :wink:

Any chance that other reviewers will get a copy ?

And last, but not least: availability in EU. Any dates ?

Oct 4, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #1,199 of 1,445
Ryan Ho appears to have a monopoly on MM-100 YT reviews :wink:

Any chance that other reviewers will get a copy ?

And last, but not least: availability in EU. Any dates ?
yes I do and I was thinking about doing a comparison between LCD-5, MM-500, and MM-100 since I got a chance to hear them in a row at Canjam socal but I guess ill let other people share first :wink: before I get busted
DSC_9362.jpg
DSC_9360.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #1,200 of 1,445
All reviewers are welcome. The more, the better 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back