Audeze MM-100
Sep 19, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #1,111 of 1,447
You have what is takes to be a "satisfied Audeze customer" :D
Just kidding

The note saying "Available in several months" is probably just an expression of the distributor's frustration.

I still hope to test the MM-100 before Christmas :)
The distributor here in Norway still has Oct. 6 (unconfirmed) up on their website, and the local HiFi Klubben tell me the same thing.

In the meantime here is the man behind it all:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #1,112 of 1,447
The MM100 could be exactly what I'm looking for but I'll not buy until I've seen few reviews. While the Ananda is great, it's got a sound signature more tuned towards rock/Pop/EDM etc where I'm more into classical music.
That’s interesting. my Ananda 2020 sounds right for classical, at least for me

Sep 19, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #1,113 of 1,447
uhh. not sure why you think I am the correct person to ask about the matter. in my previous comments I have pointed out I am just a mainstream consumer and don’t have much experience with wired headphones in general, maybe since my first pair of headphones were wireless.
you made the comment about folks being dumb ..... my reply was me being cynical .
my thoughts are that anyone using headphones enough to have to be aware of audeze ..... and with $400 to spend on a set of headphones ..... has a dang near zero chance of being so dumb that they don't know how to fully seat a 3.5mm plug into it's jack .
thanks for taking it seriously though .

Sep 19, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #1,114 of 1,447
you made the comment about folks being dumb ..... my reply was me being cynical .
my thoughts are that anyone using headphones enough to have to be aware of audeze ..... and with $400 to spend on a set of headphones ..... has a dang near zero chance of being so dumb that they don't know how to fully seat a 3.5mm plug into it's jack .
thanks for taking it seriously though .
well I appreciate you being honest and being direct. I understand what you are saying.

regarding folks being dumb, I just want to make it clear I did not call anyone in this thread dumb (only myself) or imply that to be the case. my statement was simply that out of the 7billion people on this planet “most people can be extremely dumb”.
(although I do still allow room for smart people to be dumb sometimes)

regarding those who have interest in headphones and $400 to spend must never get anything wrong, I don’t exactly agree. with $5k+ to spend maybe yes you would take extra care not to damage any expensive equipment. but I am just speaking from my own perspective here I found myself interested in a shiny new MM-100 but it will only be my 2nd wired headphone purchase. and so I have $400 to spend an interest in headphones, but a lack of understanding how the electronics work. so I do think I have a chance of getting the plug seated wrong.
I also already mentioned my recent experience plugging a standard 3.5mm plug into a splitter and how it was seated easily in one socket, but not the other (on the same splitter) where it got jammed with like 1-2mm of the sleeve visible. this also made me consider the same could happen with the MM-100 (two sockets on the same unit, same single plug behaves differently with each socket).

now regarding the channel swap issue, I explained what I thought in my previous reply.

so following from that let’s now start with the idea that the plug not being seated properly is impossible (due to standard design or the user). then the implication of that is the MM-100 units with channel swap must be wired incorrectly.
and it is a manufacturing error that is causing the channel swap.

personally I do think this flaw is possible, but also not likely due to Audeze having a good track record. we will only find out the truth when someone decides to test their MM-100 with channel swap using a multimeter. from my limited understanding I think this can be done by plugging in a 4-pole cable into each socket of the MM-100, and making contact with the tip, ring, ring, sleeve in the way shown in Audeze's diagram.
if a MM-100 user with multimeter shows that indeed the unit experiencing the channel swap is wired correctly as Audeze’s diagram shows, would you change your opinion then?

I know I typed a lot but just know I am not typing this with the intention to get an inflamed response from you. it’s just my logical response to your comment which was direct and easy to understand.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #1,115 of 1,447
well I appreciate you being honest and being direct. I understand what you are saying.

regarding folks being dumb, I just want to make it clear I did not call anyone in this thread dumb (only myself) or imply that to be the case. my statement was simply that out of the 7billion people on this planet “most people can be extremely dumb”.
(although I do still allow room for smart people to be dumb sometimes)

regarding those who have interest in headphones and $400 to spend must never get anything wrong, I don’t exactly agree. with $5k+ to spend maybe yes you would take extra care not to damage any expensive equipment. but I am just speaking from my own perspective here I found myself interested in a shiny new MM-100 but it will only be my 2nd wired headphone purchase. and so I have $400 to spend an interest in headphones, but a lack of understanding how the electronics work. so I do think I have a chance of getting the plug seated wrong.
I also already mentioned my recent experience plugging a standard 3.5mm plug into a splitter and how it was seated easily in one socket, but not the other (on the same splitter) where it got jammed with like 1-2mm of the sleeve visible. this also made me consider the same could happen with the MM-100 (two sockets on the same unit, same single plug behaves differently with each socket).

now regarding the channel swap issue, I explained what I thought in my previous reply.

so following from that let’s now start with the idea that the plug not being seated properly is impossible (due to standard design or the user). then the implication of that is the MM-100 units with channel swap must be wired incorrectly.
and it is a manufacturing error that is causing the channel swap.

personally I do think this flaw is possible, but also not likely due to Audeze having a good track record. we will only find out the truth when someone decides to test their MM-100 with channel swap using a multimeter. from my limited understanding I think this can be done by plugging in a 4-pole cable into each socket of the MM-100, and making contact with the tip, ring, ring, sleeve in the way shown in Audeze's diagram.
if a MM-100 user with multimeter shows that indeed the unit experiencing the channel swap is wired correctly as Audeze’s diagram shows, would you change your opinion then?

I know I typed a lot but just know I am not typing this with the intention to get an inflamed response from you. it’s just my logical response to your comment which was direct and easy to understand.
I sent my incorrectly working MM-100 with channel-swap issue to Audeze per their request after creating a support ticket on it and they've already reached out to me to say a replacement will be shipped soon.

I take that as evidence that it was clearly a problem with the unit and not user error or they would simply be sending me back the same unit, yes? And a note explaining how to properly seat the cable? :)

I think this horse been beaten long after expiration, and I'm happy Audeze -- as I expected, frankly, having had nothing but positive experience with them through several headphones so far -- is taking care of me on this. :)

Sep 19, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #1,116 of 1,447
I got a package today! Unfortunately it only came with headphones, a cable, and no adapter as initially promised. *sigh* I kind of expected it to be missing after reading more on this thread. No time to do a nice setup, so I did an unboxing on the corner of my bed. Lol :dt880smile:

UPDATE: Audeze contacted me and said the adapter was never meant to be included with the sale of these MM-100s, but images and verbiage of the inclusion of an adapter circulated by mistake. They offered to send me one due to the mixup.

PREFACE
I'm coming from Audio Technica M50X headphones which I really enjoy for listening pleasure and music editing/mixing. I feel like I can hear everything I need to hear, and very close to my ears. I don't care much about a wide-feeling sound stage. I work mostly in the rock and metal genres.
I tried a pair of Audeze LCD-X and Sennheiser HD650 over the weekend. I'll be honest, I hated the Sennheisers. It was mostly mid range, and I could not pick out the top end detail I typically like to have for editing purposes. The LCD-X didn't blow me away either. I really wanted to like the LCD-X too since I knew my MM-100s were going to arrive today. Those headphones sounded really good after applying the SoundID Reference LCD-X curve, though! The curve adds in some subs and fills in a notch in the upper mids which really opened up the detail in my opinion. It did not sound harsh at all.

So hopefully that provides some context about my (admittedly particular) taste in frequency response.

BUILD QUALITY
These feel substantial! I'm not worried about anything breaking. I haven't compared to many other planars, but they slide a little when I tilt my head down. Nothing major since I'm not headbanging or jumping around with them. Clamp force isn't anything I even thought about until I started writing this. It's a good medium force that holds the cans on just enough. I can see myself forgetting that they are on after a little while of wearing them.

PADS
Super comfy to me. They feel like a slightly better quality pleather than what comes on the M50X set. I hope they don't experience the same peeling as those Audio Technica pads though. Time will tell.

SOUND STAGE
It sounds about the same as the LCD-X from what I remember. Maybe a little closer to the ears since the LCD-X pads are thicker. No complaints from me. Stuff on the right sounds like its on the right, and stuff on the left sounds like it's on the left. I notice I can't pick out reverbs and background information as well as I can on the ATH M50Xs. Maybe that's a closed back vs. open back thing?

FREQUENCY RESPONSE
I AM HAPPY. I was really nervous these were going to have that high mid scoop like the LCD-X set I tried, but these have acceptable detail in that range.
These feel less smiley-faced than the ATH-M50X. I'm okay with that even though it isn't quite as exciting. I notice the warm lower mid area the most on these headphones. Not overly subby, but I can feel when there's a sub drop or impact sample in a song.
Maybe this is a planar thing, but the response definitely changes more than I was expecting when shifting the earcups around my ears. I was able to find a sweet spot position where the timbre felt right to me. Not a problem, just something to note.

TECHNICAL
I plugged into each earcup. Both are wired correctly for me. No complaints!

SUMMARY
People talked about being pleased if these headphones achieved 80% of what the more expensive Audeze models can do. I cannot compare to anything but the LCD-X set, but I would have probably guessed these were the more expensive set if I had to do a blind comparison. At $399, I think it's a no brainer for getting into open back planar magnetics.

But if you're happy with what you have as an editor or mixer, I don't think these are going to be the magic ticket that makes you better all of a sudden. I feel like I could happily do my job on these or my Audio Technicas. They are just two different lenses.

PXL_20230919_143001436.jpgPXL_20230919_143037630.jpgPXL_20230919_143057905.jpg
PXL_20230919_143159569.jpgPXL_20230919_143313374.jpg
PXL_20230919_143254074.jpg

PXL_20230919_143306910.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #1,117 of 1,447
I got a package today! Unfortunately it only came with headphones, a cable, and no adapter as initially promised. *sigh* I kind of expected it to be missing after reading more on this thread. No time to do a nice setup, so I did an unboxing on the corner of my bed. Lol :dt880smile:

PREFACE
I'm coming from Audio Technica M50X headphones which I really enjoy for listening pleasure and music editing/mixing. I feel like I can hear everything I need to hear, and very close to my ears. I don't care much about a wide-feeling sound stage. I work mostly in the rock and metal genres.
I tried a pair of Audeze LCD-X and Sennheiser HD650 over the weekend. I'll be honest, I hated the Sennheisers. It was mostly mid range, and I could not pick out the top end detail I typically like to have for editing purposes. The LCD-X didn't blow me away either. I really wanted to like the LCD-X too since I knew my MM-100s were going to arrive today. Those headphones sounded really good after applying the SoundID Reference LCD-X curve, though! The curve adds in some subs and fills in a notch in the upper mids which really opened up the detail in my opinion. It did not sound harsh at all.

So hopefully that provides some context about my (admittedly particular) taste in frequency response.

BUILD QUALITY
These feel substantial! I'm not worried about anything breaking. I haven't compared to many other planars, but they slide a little when I tilt my head down. Nothing major since I'm not headbanging or jumping around with them. Clamp force isn't anything I even thought about until I started writing this. It's a good medium force that holds the cans on just enough. I can see myself forgetting that they are on after a little while of wearing them.

PADS
Super comfy to me. They feel like a slightly better quality pleather than what comes on the M50X set. I hope they don't experience the same peeling as those Audio Technica pads though. Time will tell.

SOUND STAGE
It sounds about the same as the LCD-X from what I remember. Maybe a little closer to the ears since the LCD-X pads are thicker. No complaints from me. Stuff on the right sounds like its on the right, and stuff on the left sounds like it's on the left. I notice I can't pick out reverbs and background information as well as I can on the ATH M50Xs. Maybe that's a closed back vs. open back thing?

FREQUENCY RESPONSE
I AM HAPPY. I was really nervous these were going to have that high mid scoop like the LCD-X set I tried, but these have acceptable detail in that range.
These feel less smiley-faced than the ATH-M50X. I'm okay with that even though it isn't quite as exciting. I notice the warm lower mid area the most on these headphones. Not overly subby, but I can feel when there's a sub drop or impact sample in a song.
Maybe this is a planar thing, but the response definitely changes more than I was expecting when shifting the earcups around my ears. I was able to find a sweet spot position where the timbre felt right to me. Not a problem, just something to note.

TECHNICAL

SUMMARY
People talked about being pleased if these headphones achieved 80% of what the more expensive Audeze models can do. I cannot compare to anything but the LCD-X set, but I would have probably guessed these were the more expensive set if I had to do a blind comparison. At $399, I think it's a no brainer for getting into open back planar magnetics.

But if you're happy with what you have as an editor or mixer, I don't think these are going to be the magic ticket that makes you better all of a sudden. I feel like I could happily do my job on these or my Audio Technicas. They are just two different lenses.

Very nice feedback, dude. Thanks, especially as an owner of the LCD-X 2021.

Sep 19, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #1,118 of 1,447

PREFACE

BUILD QUALITY

PADS

SOUND STAGE

FREQUENCY RESPONSE

TECHNICAL

SUMMARY

You don't happen to have an audio precision analyser on hand? :deadhorse:

Sep 19, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #1,119 of 1,447
You don't happen to have an audio precision analyser on hand? :deadhorse:
ACTUALLY... Kind of. I have access to a Cry Sound device if I'm remembering the name correctly. It is more of a production line test system, but it does frequency response, phase response, rub and buzz, etc. No averaging of measurements unless I export data and do it manually. I'll certainly sweep there.

I also have an Audio Precision interface available, but I don't have the headphone test fixture. Maybe I can use a measurement mic for a rough comparison... Stay tuned. Maybe something decent will come of it. I can at least do relative measurements between the MM100s and my Audio Technicas. I'll be at the studio this coming weekend, and they have the LCD-X set. I can do the same for those.

Sep 19, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #1,120 of 1,447
Can someone who's received their set measure the dimensions of the MM-100? Just looking for basic H, W, D for the cups and headband. Thanks!

Sep 19, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #1,121 of 1,447
...and the inside measurements of the pads, i.e. height, width & depth.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #1,122 of 1,447
I sent my incorrectly working MM-100 with channel-swap issue to Audeze per their request after creating a support ticket on it and they've already reached out to me to say a replacement will be shipped soon.

I take that as evidence that it was clearly a problem with the unit and not user error or they would simply be sending me back the same unit, yes? And a note explaining how to properly seat the cable? :)

I think this horse been beaten long after expiration, and I'm happy Audeze -- as I expected, frankly, having had nothing but positive experience with them through several headphones so far -- is taking care of me on this. :)
thank you for sharing this. it does sound convincing as you said, I would probably come to the same conclusion myself if I had a replacement being sent back in return.

if the headphones were indeed wired improperly from the factory hopefully moving forward all MM-100 are going through thorough inspection now.

as I mentioned before changing the jack to a particular side is not important to me, but I think if Audeze has addressed any issues behind the scenes it makes me feel better about the quality of the headphones.
they still aren’t in-stock yet here locally. I am still interested in them.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #1,123 of 1,447
Here is a quick and dirty measurement using a Sonarworks measurement mic. I played pink noise through each ear cup, one at a time, and I had the headphones suspended in free air away from any surfaces. I moved the microphone around each ear cup, varying X/Y position and depth. These curves are a result of 200 averages each. The curves would surely change if the earcups could be sealed. I would ignore the accuracy below about 20Hz. Even below 100Hz gets iffy, since there is definitely handling noise from moving the mic. I also adjusted the overall curve Y positions to be 0dB at 1kHz as a reference point.

The driver similarity between Audeze L and R is very good! I was surprised to get a consistently odd result from the Audio Technicas, because they never sounded imbalanced to me. That peak between 100-300 Hz on the Audeze measurements matches the warm lower mid description I mentioned in my previous post. If I was a user scrolling this post, I might think that peak looks kind of offensive. While it's certainly present, It sounds more gentle than it looks.

ATH-M50X vs Audeze MM-100.jpg

PRACTICE CAUTION WHEN LOOKING AT MEASUREMENTS FROM STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET, PLEASE! INCLUDING MINE.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #1,124 of 1,447
@ squibble: Thanks for showing us your frequency plot. Interesting!

I would like to eventually have real leather pads on mine and wonder if the stock pleather pads - imported from the Far East according to Sankar in the video above here - are glued on with two-sided tape like the LCD pads. Would you take a peek at the bottom of the pads to see if there's any tape in there? I hope they can be removed and replaced.
If enough users want that I hope Audeze will offer leather replacement pads later on. I have asked them by mail but they haven't answered my Q.

Sep 19, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #1,125 of 1,447
@ squibble: Thanks for showing us your frequency plot. Interesting!

I would like to eventually have real leather pads on mine and wonder if the stock pleather pads - imported from the Far East according to Sankar in the video above here - are glued on with two-sided tape like the LCD pads. Would you take a peek at the bottom of the pads to see if there's any tape in there? I hope they can be removed and replaced.
If enough users want that I hope Audeze will offer leather replacement pads later on. I have asked them by mail but they haven't answered my Q.
You're welcome!

There was one slightly loose spot on my ear pads that I could pry up a little. I could see the adhesive pulling from the ear cup body, but it didn't look like a strip of tape. I could be wrong. It's hard to see without pulling more than I want to right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back