Audeze MM-100
Sep 16, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #1,066 of 1,460
@ HipHopScribe Yes, we don't know how many units are faulty out of the ones sold so far. Audeze seem to be in denial and blaming bad ones on customer error so far. How widespread the problem is remains to be seen?

Buying these cans now looks to be a crapshoot, especially for overseas customers who can't just send faulty ones back to CA for repair without loosing a lot more money on their purchase. If international distributors are set up to open up bad cans and rectify wiring problems, we don't know. And could we trust the result?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #1,067 of 1,460
@ HipHopScribe Yes, we don't know how many units are faulty, out of the ones sold so far. And we probably wont know anytime soon. Audeze seem to be in denial and blaming their faults on customer error so far. How widespread the wiring problems are is anyone's guess?

Buying these cans now looks to be a crapshoot, especially for overseas customers who can't just send them back to CA for repair without loosing a lot more money on this purchase. Whether international distributors are set up to open up the cans and rectify the wiring problems, we don't know. And could we trust the result?
Someone on reddit just received theres and....they received the 6.35mm to 3.5mm audeze adapter lol.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #1,069 of 1,460
lol… original picture as evidence? 😅
1694916530941.png

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/16kkp0a?user_id=779720932702&web_redirect=true

Sep 16, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #1,070 of 1,460
I can’t speak for the general public, but I trust that everyone here on Head-Fi knows how to plug in a headphone cable lol

I don’t know how many units are bad, but clearly some unit are bad
can a audeze rep tell me how to plug in the cable ?
maybe make a half hour video explaining the nuances to do it properly ?

asking for a friend .........

Sep 16, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #1,071 of 1,460
Sep 17, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #1,074 of 1,460
Sep 17, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #1,075 of 1,460
Well, I would love to meet those consumers who can plug a cable to the right cup of their Audeze headphone, but have no clue how to do the same with the left cup. They must be a unique bunch :beyersmile:
just basing it on a comment I read on reddit where two people discussed how they both (2/2) experienced not having the cable seated properly on MM-100. (but no mention of the channels reversed, so I didn't mention it previously)

apparently you think it's fully "in" but it's not and an extra strong push makes a moderately loud click sound. personally I might experience the same thing, because USD$400 is more than I have ever spent on a pair of headphones (plus I recently learned a lot about how planar drivers are sensitive to air pressure - e.g. not a good idea to push the cups into your head while wearing them as the sudden air pressure can crinkle the drivers), and therefore I think I would be anxious about breaking something if I push too hard.

you do realise not everyone here is a headphone connoisseur, in fact if I was a long term member I would probably be aware of the large amount of headphone newbie users here now who signed up since reddit had that outage. (lots of people signed up to the next largest alternative forum)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #1,076 of 1,460
I can’t speak for the general public, but I trust that everyone here on Head-Fi knows how to plug in a headphone cable lol

I don’t know how many units are bad, but clearly some unit are bad
yeah sorry not calling out Head-Fi users in particular but customers receiving the MM-100 in general. (from my perspective with an interaction with another user here, they seemed to own LCD-2's and LCD-X's and weren't exactly keen on the entry-level MM-100 as much due to already being familiar with the flagship sound - so I assume most long term Head-Fiers are here more for discussion rather than actually on the waiting list)
just being open minded about the fact Head-Fi is a small circle, compared to the giant number of mainstream consumers (most of which are muppets like me).

(also worth mentioning I did round that up to 100%, with consideration because I originally would have typed 98% anyway and also considered 1 or 2 head-fi users "could" have got it wrong also - sorry I don't remember specifically who mentioned the issue and how many posts they had on their profile)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #1,077 of 1,460
Someone on reddit just received theres and....they received the 6.35mm to 3.5mm audeze adapter lol.
yeah I was just going to quote myself to say this. I saw that photo, and there is clearly an Audeze branded adapter included.
so I still don't know what's going on exactly. my guess is the adapters were delayed, and so some MM-100 boxes went out without them.

Sep 17, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #1,078 of 1,460
100% user error? No. I have a lot of headphones and I know how to fully seat cables, thank you. 🤓 Neither did I need Audeze’s prompting here on that count as I had already tried that as soon as I ran a channel test and discovered the problem since it’s obvious to anyone who isn’t a newbie.
sorry I somehow scrolled past and missed your comment.
below is a copy paste of my reply to Hiphopscribe's similar comment.

yeah sorry not calling out Head-Fi users in particular but customers receiving the MM-100 in general. (from my perspective with an interaction with another user here, they seemed to own LCD-2's and LCD-X's and weren't exactly keen on the entry-level MM-100 as much due to already being familiar with the flagship sound - so I assume most long term Head-Fiers are here more for discussion rather than actually on the waiting list)
just being open minded about the fact Head-Fi is a small circle, compared to the giant number of mainstream consumers (most of which are muppets like me).

(also worth mentioning I did round that up to 100%, with consideration because I originally would have typed 98% anyway and also considered 1 or 2 head-fi users "could" have got it wrong also - sorry I don't remember specifically who mentioned the issue and how many posts they had on their profile)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #1,079 of 1,460
I see, that we have a new definition of "headphone connoisseur".

A "headphone connoisseur" is a person who can successfully plug a 3,5mm jack into a 3,5mm socket.

Apparently many have tried, but only a sellect few have succeeded :beyersmile:

Sep 17, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #1,080 of 1,460
A "headphone connoisseur" is a person who can successfully plug a 3,5mm jack into a 3,5mm socket.
yeah I mean a user who has had a lot of experience with headphones. so has plugged in more jacks. 😀
personally I only own 1 pair of wired headphones which I barely use so I can't really call myself experienced at plugging in 3.5mm.

but here is some personal experience with 3.5mm which is non-headphone related. I needed to plug two different brand 3.5mm cables into a 3.5mm L+R splitter like this. I plugged one cable in went in fine, but the other wouldn't go in all the way no matter how hard I pushed (it was almost like it was "jammed") took it out and tried again same result. strange but I thought it would successfully make a connection anyway so I switched everything on. wrong, I got static and buzzing out of the channel (cable) that wasn't all the way in.
so I decided to swap the cables over, and wouldn't you know it both went in easily and perfectly as they would normally expect. problem solved and I had a working setup. I don't quite know what went wrong, since both sockets are identical (the same splitter) and both cables were standard 3.5mm plugs (TRS to be exact).
so yeah there's that. I am not embarassed to say I had trouble. it's just what actually happened.

one conclusion would be, one of the cables had a plug that was "too big". but then why did it successfully insert like normal into the other socket?

if you have some experienced technical explanation as to why this was the case. I would like to hear it. 🙂

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back