Audeze MM-100
Sep 14, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #1,051 of 1,460
From someone who works in InfoSec - This is a pretty standard thing at most companies within there ToS. What isn't standard is informing you about it, but it is there choice to have it as a disclaimer. I've seen a former employee fired & prosecuted at my current employer for saving/leaking company emails in multiple group chats, & on the app "Blind". Completely different scenario - but it's why these exist.

I was one of the first MM-100 receivers. My left and right can connections work fine. I am using the stock cable that came with them. The people on reddit whom recently received them also did not have this issue so do we even have an idea of how widespread the issues are, or are we assuming?

Audeze recently the following quote below on the 5th - and I can confirm if my cable is not seated in all the way that the channels do swap sides, but they do not swap sides when seated in full.
That’s fine for you and I’m sure others do not have the channel swap problem - but I assure you that I know how to seat cables just fine, and I do not get channels swapped IN EITHER CUP when they are NOT fully seated, I instead got stranger phase issues, and on the left cup, I got near-mono sound where the left channel is in BOTH cups although more prominently in one, when the cable is not fully seated.

It’s a real problem — you are right that we have no idea how widespread it is, but there were two of us on this thread alone so I suspect there were at least a few that were wired incorrectly.

Sep 14, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #1,052 of 1,460
I'm seeing on Reddit that some folks have received their MM-100s (finally).

Anyone here receive theirs and have a few minutes to share their impressions? Many thanks.
I just received mine yesterday and have had only a little bit of time with them. I am not a studio professional, but a simple enthusiast just getting into the hobby. The primary draw for picking these up was to provide accurate sound reproduction from a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo in headphone form, while not breaking the bank, and being able to utilize alternative tech in the planar magnetic driver space.
I was also able to connect them to a HiBy R3 Pro Saber DAP for some Tidal Steaming as well (waiting to receive a balanced cable for regular usage with the DAP)
Overall, these are alot of fun so far!
Coming from budget IEMs & Sony WF1000XM5s, it's a major step up providing fuller sound across the board. The non-EQ'd bass has been wonderful and I have not found it lacking or overpowering initially. From a earbud/IEM bass to full headphones, it gives the bass a true resonance which is a game changer in my situation.
Mids and treble sound well balanced so far providing great imaging with clean vocals, however there is one song I'm going through which makes cymbals sound very tinny, so I'm going to see if it might just be the track as I get more listening time in between sources. I can't comment too much yet on the soundstage due to limited listening time but it does feel as spacious from what I've been accustomed to or more.
The headphone weight itself while substantial isn't burdening, but being mobile with the headphones may lead to some slippage. I've only had about a 90mins duration for longest length with them on to comment on a light sweat generated, during my mobile impression. They are very comfortable for my usage having an average head size not needing to adjust the strap, keeping it at the default.
Love the look and construction of them, hope that translates to years of durability. These are my first open back headphones and it's quite interesting being able to fully hear surroundings with them on, so location and ambient sound it certainly a factor while listening.
Aside from the launch pains I'm happy with them so far.
How should I proceed if I wanted to do a channel test between the left right connections to verify correct wiring? Not too familiar with what to expect or listen for.

Sep 14, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #1,053 of 1,460
I just received mine yesterday and have had only a little bit of time with them. I am not a studio professional, but a simple enthusiast just getting into the hobby. The primary draw for picking these up was to provide accurate sound reproduction from a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo in headphone form, while not breaking the bank, and being able to utilize alternative tech in the planar magnetic driver space.
I was also able to connect them to a HiBy R3 Pro Saber DAP for some Tidal Steaming as well (waiting to receive a balanced cable for regular usage with the DAP)
Coming from budget IEMs & Sony WF1000XM5s, it's a major step up providing fuller sound across the board. The non-EQ'd bass has been wonderful and I have not found it lacking or overpowering initially. From a earbud/IEM bass to full headphones, it gives the bass a true resonance which is a game changer in my situation.
Mids and treble sound well balanced so far providing great imaging with clean vocals, however there is one song I'm going through which makes cymbals sound very tinny, so I'm going to see if it might just be the track as I get more listening time in between sources. I can't comment too much yet on the soundstage due to limited listening time but it does feel as spacious from what I've been accustomed to or more.
The headphone weight itself while substantial isn't burdening, but being mobile with the headphones may lead to some slippage. I've only had about a 90mins duration for longest length with them on to comment on a light sweat generated, during my mobile impression. They are very comfortable for my usage having an average head size not needing to adjust the strap, keeping it at the default.
Love the look and construction of them, hope that translates to years of durability. These are my first open back headphones and it's quite interesting being able to fully hear surroundings with them on, so location and ambient sound it certainly a factor while listening.
How should I proceed if I wanted to do a channel test between the left right connections to verify correct wiring? Not too familiar with what to expect or listen for.
My test for L/R channel routing is the song "Blood on the Ground" by Incubus. Not everyone's cup of tea, but the intro guitar is panned hard right. If it's coming out the left ear cup, something is wrong! :)

Sep 14, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #1,054 of 1,460

Channel test on YouTube:

Sep 14, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #1,057 of 1,460
The answer from Audeze had this footnote: "This e-mail is the property of Audeze LLC. Distribution of this e-mail, or the information contained in it, is prohibited."

My question to Audeze is this: Do you want to have an open dialogue with/among users and potential customers about issues with your new product - or don't you? A European company trying to 'gag' consumers like this on product issues would get into hot water. We are free to communicate over here.

not wanting to be held accountable for words/statements has really become very popular the past several years .

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #1,058 of 1,460
not wanting to be held accountable for words/statements has really become very popular the past few years .

I have followed the Audeze company for some time now through interviews, trade show video presentations, factory tours etc. I have also noted that some audio pros I respect hold Audeze headphones in high esteem. Being a Sennheiser user myself for many years I was not overly enthused when I first tried Audeze legacy cans. Too bambastic, too much bass, too shouty, too harsh in the upper mid/treble region and uncomfortable on the head for me. The MM-100 was announced to be lighter weight, with a more comfortable fit and a sound more like the MM-500. I was looking forward to hearing more when production and launch approached earlier this year.

Sankar, Chris, Peter and other Audeze folks seem to be straight up and honest people. When Chris told us at the NAMM show that the MM-100 would have leather pads I was looking forward to a long lasting usefull addition to my toolkit. My oldest HD600 is from 1997, I have replaced pads on it several times and it still sounds GREAT to this day. When I heard the MM-100 had glued on fake leather pads I was dissapointed - even as it turned out pads were taped on. Taped on leather pads would have been better.

I have contacted Audeze about the wiring problems, and asked about replaceable leather pads at a later point. The answer I got was identical to the one we got here earlier: any problem with left can cable connection and channel balance is down to users being unable to connect it the right way. Well, users seem to be able to connect to the right can the right way - don't they? No reply on my leather replacement pad inquiry.

The answer from Audeze had this footnote: "This e-mail is the property of Audeze LLC. Distribution of this e-mail, or the information contained in it, is prohibited."

My question to Audeze is this: Do you want to have an open dialogue with/among users and potential customers about issues with your new product - or don't you? A European company trying to 'gag' consumers like this on product issues would get into hot water. We are free to communicate over here.
Seeing this kind of response from Audeze is super unfortunate.

For a person like myself who's been a staunch supporter of them for all my years in the community i'm surprised they've taken this stance and are basically stating that their faults your problems and not theirs. Sankar's personally responded to a couple of my comments in the LCD4 forum and been very responsive to "correct" some statements that I've made regarding their tuning decisions. I'm hoping he sees this and sheds some light on the multitude of problems that the MM-100 is having.

Sep 15, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #1,059 of 1,460
Sep 16, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #1,060 of 1,460
at this point my only real issue is the glued pleather earpads. but I like to think I am at least a little bit "smarter" than the typical consumer, as I do like to fix my things before ultimately junking them so am familiar with using steady hands and being extremely careful handling repairs. so I think I am capable of doing the job as long as I can acquire the pads (I am also thinking the synthetic pads degrading to an unusable state will happen outside of the 1 year warranty).
who knows hopefully by then there will be a organic leather replacement part released.

other than that I think Audeze will address the channel reversed issue by the time the MM-100 is available in stores (I am also still open to considering these reports as 100% user error - I know how consumers can be absolute muppets just from reading Amazon reviews where the solution was to simply read the user manual instead of initiating a return) . also regarding the marketing issue if there isn't a Audeze 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter included in the box, I read it's about $15 on Amazon (or $9 if you are happy with one without any cable). seems like a recent MM-100 shipment has the adapter included in the box (photo on the next page).

one thing that bugs me more than the pads though, is the fact I still can't actually look at the product and make my decision to buy. and this is my perspective from only learning about the MM-100 for the first time 3 months ago and not knowing it was a "pre-order" product.
all local stores are still showing "back order" and I guess that won't change until Audeze lists them as in-stock, or possibly even with a delay after that for it to become in-stock locally. (months? who knows. they must be churning them out steadily but slowly and there seems to still be a long list of waiting pre-order customers because I can count the number of "confirmed MM-100 in hand" posts on one hand)
though from a pre-order model perspective, I guess it's worth waiting longer for a product without issues rather than having it in hand sooner with issues (not pointing out any particular issue here, just want to say regarding of product longevity you want something that's been ironed out).

also not a single MM-100 measurement to be seen yet. I have been searching youtube and sorting by "date". also thought Audeze would post one when they started shipping units, but still nothing. Audeze aren't releasing their own measurements for lower priced models moving forward.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #1,061 of 1,460
at this point my only real issue is the glued pleather earpads. but I like to think I am at least a little bit "smarter" than the typical consumer, as I do like to fix my things before ultimately junking them so am familiar with using steady hands and being extremely careful handling repairs. so I think I am capable of doing the job as long as I can acquire the pads (I am also thinking the synthetic pads degrading to an unusable state will happen outside of the 1 year warranty).
who knows hopefully by then there will be a organic leather replacement part released.

other than that I think Audeze will address the channel reversed issue by the time the MM-100 is available in stores (I am also still open to considering these reports as 100% user error - I know how consumers can be absolute muppets just from reading Amazon reviews where the solution was to simply read the user manual instead of initiating a return) . also regarding the marketing issue if there isn't a Audeze 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter included in the box, I read it's about $15 on Amazon (or $9 if you are happy with one without any cable).

one thing that bugs me more than the pads though, is the fact I still can't actually look at the product and make my decision to buy. and this is my perspective from only learning about the MM-100 for the first time 3 months ago and not knowing it was a "pre-order" product.
all local stores are still showing "back order" and I guess that won't change until Audeze lists them as in-stock, or possibly even with a delay after that for it to become in-stock locally. (months? who knows. they must be churning them out steadily but slowly and there seems to still be a long list of waiting pre-order customers because I can count the number of "confirmed MM-100 in hand" posts on one hand)
though from a pre-order model perspective, I guess it's worth waiting longer for a product without issues rather than having it in hand sooner with issues (not pointing out any particular issue here, just want to say regarding of product longevity you want something that's been ironed out).

also not a single MM-100 measurement to be seen yet. I have been searching youtube and sorting by "date". also thought Audeze would post one when they started shipping units, but still nothing.
They’ve started they won’t provide measurements for anything below lcd2.

https://www.audeze.com/blogs/techno...lem-with-frequency-graphs-and-eq-compensation

“Since the beginning at Audeze, we’ve provided individual FR graphs for most LCD headphones, and we continue to provide them by request for our upper-end models (above LCD-2). ”

Sep 16, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #1,062 of 1,460
They’ve started they won’t provide measurements for anything below lcd2.

https://www.audeze.com/blogs/techno...lem-with-frequency-graphs-and-eq-compensation

“Since the beginning at Audeze, we’ve provided individual FR graphs for most LCD headphones, and we continue to provide them by request for our upper-end models (above LCD-2). ”

That’s really talking about graphs of each individual headphone, which they used to provide in the box of each unit sold, not a publicly available representative graph of a model in general. I get why they’re not measuring every single headphone now, with the number of units they sell now it’s probably infeasible, but that’s really a whole different issue

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #1,063 of 1,460
(I am also still open to considering these reports as 100% user error - I know how consumers can be absolute muppets just from reading Amazon reviews where the solution was to simply read the user manual instead of initiating a return
100% user error? No. I have a lot of headphones and I know how to fully seat cables, thank you. 🤓 Neither did I need Audeze’s prompting here on that count as I had already tried that as soon as I ran a channel test and discovered the problem since it’s obvious to anyone who isn’t a newbie.

Sep 16, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #1,064 of 1,460
I can’t speak for the general public, but I trust that everyone here on Head-Fi knows how to plug in a headphone cable lol

I don’t know how many units are bad, but clearly some unit are bad

Sep 16, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,065 of 1,460
I like to think I am at least a little bit "smarter" than the typical consumer,

hence you are

still open to considering these reports as 100% user error

because you

know how consumers can be absolute muppets

Well, I would love to meet those consumers who can plug a cable to the right cup of their Audeze headphone, but have no clue how to do the same with the left cup. They must be a unique bunch :beyersmile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back