Audeze MM-100
Sep 8, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #946 of 1,466
Yes, if pads are glued, than they must (should) be user replaceable.

Sending headphones from EU to USA to have the pads replaced by Audeze is hardly a customer-friendly option.
You need to replace the pads already?

Sep 9, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #948 of 1,466
Sending headphones from EU to USA to have the pads replaced by Audeze is hardly a customer-friendly option.
shouldn't be the case if you purchase from dealers/distributors in your region.
I checked this myself because I wondered if ordering at $399USD + shipping from Audeze direct would work out cheaper than buying locally (after shipping and Tax it wouldn't).

the service information was quite easy to find on the Audeze website just two clicks away when I was looking at the MM-100 page. at the bottom of the website I clicked "Terms of Service" then in the Warranty area I clicked where it says "please see here". which took me to this page. Under "Warranty service guidelines:" it explains how they "recommend international customers purchase locally if possible" because if you purchase outside the US from your local distributor, all service and warranty repair type services will be handled locally. It also suggests checking with your dealer/distributor you intend to buy from if you want to be double triple sure they are committed to doing it.

I think it's possible some international customers might have been excited when pre-orders opened though and must have impulsively ordered from Audeze US directly. in which case yes they have to ship back to Audeze US for servicing.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #949 of 1,466
Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #950 of 1,466
shouldn't be the case if you purchase from dealers/distributors in your region.

My experience differs. At best it takes weeks for ordered parts to arrive. Always a hassle, though.

Sep 9, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #951 of 1,466
Here in Norway there is one authorized Audeze distributor, the Njål Hansson company in Oslo. Other dealers offering Audeze headphones on the internet or from stores get their headphones from this distributor. The Danish Hi-Fi company, Hi-Fi Klubben, has a chain of stores in Norway as well. As far as I know they get theirs from Denmark?

Whether or not Njål Hansson and Hi-Fi Klubben have trained service personnel authorised by Audeze to replace glued-on earpads without severing the warrenty I don't know - but I doubt it. Any damage or sound quality degradation would likely then be on you. Prying off the MM-100 pads without damage might not be an easy task. I will check with Njål Hansson on Monday.

Replacing the pads on a Maxwell they would likely be able to do - but most likely not on the MM-100s. I guess the situation in other countries around the world would be much the same? This is why I call glued-on plastic (?) earcups a bad idea on a professional headphone, be it from Audeze or not - see post #943 above.

I agree with marekm that sending cans back to Audeze for repair is "hardly a customer-friendly option" - and could turn into a very costly adventure on top of the already inflated price we have to pay for these headphones overseas.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #952 of 1,466
I'm afraid that Audeze won't change this and will continue to ship with glued synthetic earpads.
I hope that in the future there will be at least separate leather earpads available from Audeze that lasts longer. Until then I will skip this, this is not a professional product for me at the moment.

Sep 9, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #953 of 1,466
Companies coming up with revolutionary next level driver technology and design yet can’t figure out a way to secure an ear pad in place other than glue?? I don’t care what everyone says but glueing earpads to get a good seal is pure bs. Other people buy into it, others don’t. But if they really insist on glue as the only true solution then glue real leather on them.

Anyway, I’m still interested and curious to hear what the 100 is offering.

Sep 9, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #954 of 1,466
Companies coming up with revolutionary next level driver technology and design yet can’t figure out a way to secure an ear pad in place other than glue?? I don’t care what everyone says but glueing earpads to get a good seal is pure bs. Other people buy into it, others don’t. But if they really insist on glue as the only true solution then glue real leather on them.

Anyway, I’m still interested and curious to hear what the 100 is offering.
Is it actually glue or white two sided tape? That’s what I had on the original LCD-X and MX4 pads.

You use a hairdryer to warm and soften the adhesive and then pull off.

But yeah, should be snap-on or stretch-on, with rubber/foam lining for a seal.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #955 of 1,466
Is it actually glue or white two sided tape? That’s what I had on the original LCD-X and MLX pads.

Double sided tapes are glue on both side so it is still glue. Removing double sided tapes, though instructions seem straightforward, the process is not and can always be a PITA. There is then the reapplication of double sided tape and making sure you line them up precisely. All these process could be easy for some but not for many. Me with my OCD tendencies can easily turn this into a nightmare. Even applying screen protectors on phone would sometimes cost me 2-4 protectors and still I wouldn't find it perfect :sob:

Yes I could be overblowing stuff up but why can't Audeze ditch the tape?

Sep 9, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #957 of 1,466
MM-100 have smoothly transitioned from pre-oder to back-order 🤣

Just kidding, I also would like to read some real life impressions from MM-100 owners.

Sep 9, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #958 of 1,466
Most USA pre-orders should have received there mm-100 already right? or are people still waiting would love to hear some more opinions especial v's the XS
I pre-ordered right before the website changed from saying "preorder" to "backorder." Still no shipping confirmation, but the estimate was 2-3 weeks. I believe they're still in that window.

Sep 9, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #959 of 1,466
Is it actually glue or white two sided tape? That’s what I had on the original LCD-X and MX4 pads.

As a former owner of the LCD X, LCD 2, LCD 3, and LCD 4Z, the official term for it is, “attached by adhesive”. But in terms of being user friendly, you might as well call it glue, because it’s an equal PITA to pad swap.

Sep 9, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #960 of 1,466

I just ripped my LCD-4z pads off, and put the new ones on in like 5 minutes. So easy! I don’t get what all the fuss is about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back