Audeze MM-100
Jul 5, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #511 of 1,466
I tried these twice at PAF, where the headphones area was actually really quiet at the time. One of the best headphones available under $1k. I think to achieve a clear step up from these you need Arya, LCD-X, MM-500 or Focal Clear OG. I prefer these over the LCD-2 variants myself, which are a bit warmer. I think the 100 sound cleaner. Although many may find them a bit sterile/strident. With a little bass shelf from my Qudelix 5k, they were pretty brilliant.

Edit: after the show I almost ordered some. Then I realized they were still on pre order. I love Audeze headphones, but thier track record on pre orders is pretty bad. And I generally don't pre order anything, so maybe once they are in production, I will drive 30 minutes to Audeze and pick some up.
Is the cup size the same as MM-500? In the pictures it seems a little smaller

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #513 of 1,466
Is the cup size the same as MM-500? In the pictures it seems a little smaller
I didn't look to close side by side, but from memory, I would say the 100 are a bit smaller. My ears are average size and don't stick out much, so I don't usually have to pay much attention to cup size though.

Jul 5, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #514 of 1,466
Just placed a preorder for these on Audeze's site. Have to put down 10% of the price, so $39.99.

I've been super impressed with the Maxwell, and the MM-100 look to fill a massive hole in the market for an under $500 planar open back. That market has belonged to Hifiman until now, but after going through 3 Sundara failures I can't put my money on Hifiman anymore. I'm also not a huge fan of Hifiman's overly soft and bright house sound.

These also look to be perfect for gaming, as the single sided 3.5mm will allow me to use with the vmoda boom pro.

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #515 of 1,466
Just placed a preorder for these on Audeze's site. Have to put down 10% of the price, so $39.99.

I've been super impressed with the Maxwell, and the MM-100 look to fill a massive hole in the market for an under $500 planar open back. That market has belonged to Hifiman until now, but after going through 3 Sundara failures I can't put my money on Hifiman anymore. I'm also not a huge fan of Hifiman's overly soft and bright house sound.

These also look to be perfect for gaming, as the single sided 3.5mm will allow me to use with the vmoda boom pro.
I'm in the same boat right now. I was considering the sundara, but I've heard loads of issues with QC, & these are the first pair of Audeze that are affordable...so it's super tempting needless to say. Hopefully they're fairly neutral as they've said they are, time will tell.

Jul 7, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #516 of 1,466
I tried these twice at PAF, where the headphones area was actually really quiet at the time. One of the best headphones available under $1k. I think to achieve a clear step up from these you need Arya, LCD-X, MM-500 or Focal Clear OG. I prefer these over the LCD-2 variants myself, which are a bit warmer. I think the 100 sound cleaner. Although many may find them a bit sterile/strident. With a little bass shelf from my Qudelix 5k, they were pretty brilliant.

Edit: after the show I almost ordered some. Then I realized they were still on pre order. I love Audeze headphones, but thier track record on pre orders is pretty bad. And I generally don't pre order anything, so maybe once they are in production, I will drive 30 minutes to Audeze and pick some up.
Have you tried the HD 560s? If so, how do those compare to the MM-100s in terms of imaging, soundstage, & FR? I'm looking for a better built headphone compared to the 560s since I've had a bad time with their QC...

Jul 7, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #517 of 1,466
I have owned the 560's and while they are hard to beat at their going price, the MM100 are better at everything except maybe overall FR and vocal timbre/naturalness. The MM-100 are superior for soundstage/imaging, cleaner/clearer sound, tight clean bass and the build quality/ feel is several steps above the 560's. Not really a fair comparison. I would personally take them over any Sennheiser (except the HD800) and I have owned any worth mentioning.

Jul 7, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #518 of 1,466
I have owned the 560's and while they are hard to beat at their going price, the MM100 are better at everything except maybe overall FR and vocal timbre/naturalness. The MM-100 are superior for soundstage/imaging, cleaner/clearer sound, tight clean bass and the build quality/ feel is several steps above the 560's. Not really a fair comparison. I would personally take them over any Sennheiser (except the HD800) and I have owned any worth mentioning.
The LCD-5 and MM-500 have slightly less treble than neutral and therefore bit warmer, was this also the case with the MM-100?

Jul 7, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #519 of 1,466
The LCD-5 and MM-500 have slightly less treble than neutral and therefore bit warmer, was this also the case with the MM-100?
Yes. Similar to HD6XX also in that regard.

Jul 7, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #520 of 1,466
This all sounds amazing, but I'm a bit hesitant since I hear the pads are glued on to the MM-100s. Is that something I should be concerned about if I were to get the MM-100s? Seems like it'd be a hassle to replace the pads.

Jul 7, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #521 of 1,466
This all sounds amazing, but I'm a bit hesitant since I hear the pads are glued on to the MM-100s. Is that something I should be concerned about if I were to get the MM-100s? Seems like it'd be a hassle to replace the pads.
Oh no not again. I know this is a well meaning question but half of these pages on the thread are about the Great Glued Pads debate. Not sure how it is on the Mm-100 but I put Dekoni pads on my Penrose and it wasn’t too bad.

Jul 8, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #523 of 1,466
All Audeze cans have their pads glued on.
It's for the seal, if you're worried about replacing them yourself, Audeze offers to do it for you.

Jul 8, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #524 of 1,466

Just to be clear, Audeze’s pads that use adhesive are not hard to replace when it comes time to replace them. The real limitation is that it makes trying out different pads to tailor sound much trickier. But when it comes time that you need new pads because they’re wearing out the adhesive doesn’t prevent that at all

Jul 8, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #525 of 1,466
All Audeze cans have their pads glued on.
It's for the seal, if you're worried about replacing them yourself, Audeze offers to do it for you.

Technically not all. Their active headphones don’t and they’ve had past models that don’t like the Sine and LCD-1. But yeah it’s been pretty standard for them to use adhesive on most models

Users who are viewing this thread

Back