Audeze MM-100
Apr 18, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #241 of 1,445
That is completely unrelated to changing the pads.
How so?

The reason Audeze places porous felt between pads and pad adhesive is to prevent pressurization and diaphragm crinkling. Audeze has not responded to emails or comments regarding whether padrolling could effect warranty but its implied through their FAQ section.

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #243 of 1,445
To me, the most intriguing detail is the earpads. Gel-filled instead of foam-filled? Taken at face value, that means an entirely different kind of earpad than Audeze, or most companies, have offered in the past. The gel-filled pads I've tried have led to very warm ears, slow fit, very isolated sound, and bloated bass. A mixed bag. But, a gel-filled option and the ability to swap in the LCD-5 of MM-500 pads could lead to some interesting results in pad-rolling.
I would like gel-filled diaphragms, in order to alleviate any potential harshness.

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #244 of 1,445
How so?

The reason Audeze places porous felt between pads and pad adhesive is to prevent pressurization and diaphragm crinkling. Audeze has not responded to emails or comments regarding whether padrolling could effect warranty but its implied through their FAQ section.
I don't see how changing the pads would pressurize the diaphragm as long as you press around the edges. If you put your palm on the center of the pad to make a seal and then pressed down like you were trying to operate a toilet plunger then yes.

The things that should be avoided with planars is anything that presses while there is a seal. For example pushing them into your head while wearing them or laying down on your side while wearing them. Or putting them on by letting them smack into your head like you're a cartoon character. Just take them on and off gently and generally handle them like a calm and responsible person and you're good.

As for pad rolling. Trust the engineering and use a parametric eq to taste. Eq is instantly reversible and the driver is operating within its designed environment. You can infinitely make changes on a whim and perfect it over time. The factory eq curve is also always there as a baseline reference to know what you're doing. When you pad roll, you will not know what the base line starting point is without a measurement rig. Pad rolling could be a recipe for endless dissatisfaction and confusion. And on a reference headphone it runs opposite to the entire point.

Apr 21, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #247 of 1,445
Which sites are ya'll pre-ordering from? I figured buying this as a pre-order, would prefer to get from somewhere with a quality return policy.
I pre-ordered directly from Audeze.

Apr 22, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #249 of 1,445
I preordered from audeze but headamp has the preorder now w/ 60 day returns

If that's something you're concerned about then cancel your pre-order from Audeze and then pre-order through HeadAmp. No problem.

Apr 24, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #251 of 1,445
Just discovered this thread.

I'm very interested in these headphones for a couple of reasons. I've only owned one pair of Audeze's, the LCD 1s, which I liked very much compared to their more expensive sibling the LCD 2. The 2s were darker, warmer and I didn't feel that they really accurately caught the tone and timbre of certain instruments which is something very important to me. I found the 1s far more neutral and as a classical music listener these fitted the bill for me quite nicely and their ability to reproduce tone and timbre was exceptional. I no longer have a pair because the headbands were prone to cracking which is what happened to mine and this, I suspect is why they have disappeared. I replaced them with Hifiman Anandas when I returned the Audezes to my retailer and while they are excellent cans I still yearn for the LCD1 sound.

Reading the description of the MM100s I think that these might provide me with a closer experience to the LCD1s but obviously will be far better so these are on my watch list and may even pre-order a pair. I'll read up about the MM500s first.

Apr 27, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #253 of 1,445
Guys do you think the mm100 could compete with the LCD X?
Of course not. The level of technicalities is lower for sure. This has already been noticed by those who tested the headphone even in noisy environments. The sub-bass and treble extension has also been confirmed to be nowhere near the LCD-X. However, if the technical capabilities are on par with the Sundara, and the overall tuning is smoother than the LCD-X and MM-500, then I would say that the MM-100 is very competitive even above the price range.

Apr 27, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #254 of 1,445
Well, not sure "the level of technicalities is lower". What do you exacltly mean using the term of "technicalities" ?
Of course, This MM-100 is cheaper, a little bit trickled down, but it's the newest kid in Audeze boutique, and so benefits from all the expereience and improvemnts made by Audeze from their entire range so far.

We all aware that higher price doesn't necessarily means higher overall quality, especially in the audio industry. I'll never spend several grands on a headphone, I find ths silly knowing which high level of quality can be obtained from much cheaper haedphones the likes of like Sennheiser HD 560S, Philips X2 HR and others.
Just above this high quality budget level, I think 400 to 700 $ or € can be considered an optimal price level for a very high sound quality and superiorly built headphone, no need to spend more, objectively.

I wish for a full range headphone not too highly priced which is both on the neutral and good resolving headphone. Highest priced Audeze are very resolving heapdhones in the bass and medium FR but high medium and treble silghtly too recessed (for my ears and for the measurements). They are not really neutral headphones, especially for classical and naturally recorded musics.. In this regard, the better balanced is the MM-500, which isn't the highest priced of their range.

A priori, I am very interested by this new MM-100 in the same "pro" range as the more expensive MM-500, but I wait for more objective measurements and in depth subjective reviews before assuming for a hierarchy between this new model and the others.

Apr 27, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #255 of 1,445
Well, not sure "the level of technicalities is lower". What do you exacltly mean using the term of "technicalities" ?
Resolution, distortion, micro and macro dynamics, accuracy in trailing ends of tones, etc.
I'll never spend several grands on a headphone, I find ths silly knowing which high level of quality can be obtained from much cheaper haedphones the likes of like Sennheiser HD 560S, Philips X2 HR and others.
Until you hear the enormous amount of detail in HE1000, Susvara or electrostats you will never know what to listen to and therefore won't have a clue why these headphones cost several grand. But when you happen to hear them it's hard to "unhear" and go back to lower tier headphones.
A priori, I am very interested by this new MM-100 in the same "pro" range as the more expensive MM-500, but I wait for more objective measurements and in depth subjective reviews before assuming for a hierarchy between this new model and the others.
That's why we are all here too. Although there were already a few subjective impressions by people who attended the expos and listened the pre-production MM-100. That's where I've got my personal level of expectations from. It's better not to keep your hopes too high. Enough for the MM-100 to be better than the Sundara. But if it appears to be MUCH better, then I definitely won't have any objections to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back