Audeze MM-100
Apr 18, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #226 of 1,447
But surely adapted alone means things have been changed?
According to the newsletter I received from Audeze Insider announcing the MM-100 here is a direct quote: "Studio-Trusted Sound for Everyone
MM-100 sports all-new planar magnetic drivers designed for class-leading detail and low distortion. The premium chassis is built for comfort and durability, featuring aluminum, magnesium, spring steel, and gel-filled leather earpads. MM-100 includes a versatile single-sided cable with adapter, for convenient connections to all of your gear."
As you can see, this is an all-new planar magnetic driver, just a little info that keeps my excitement high...
Cheers

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #227 of 1,447
Conclusions based on assumptions are .....

Not particularly useful.

They clearly stated that the driver is NOT from M-500.
I agree conclusions based on assumptions are... But this is in fact a brand-new planar magnetic driver, as stated by Audeze ...:)

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #228 of 1,447
Am I the only one who gets more excited about new headphones in this price range than for new $4K (or more) flagship headphones?
Nope :) , I'm with you...

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #229 of 1,447
Apr 18, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #230 of 1,447
@marekm Yes, Sankar (CEO) said at the NAMM Show that the MM-100 driver's tech is adapted from the MM-500 but using different materials. This means that the driver is developed specifically for the MM-100 but based on the technology used and tested in their other headphones. Look closely what @Iron_Dreamer from Audeze has said about the driver:
Of course, it features processes, technologies, and knowledge found in other planar drivers that we make. This is not news.
This driver is new but made by adapting from the existing tech because it "features processes, technologies found in other [Audeze] planar drivers". Sankar specifically mentioned at NAMM that the technology of this driver is similar to the MM-500. There is no contradiction here. So calm down and relax already.

Apr 18, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #231 of 1,447
Sankar (CEO) said at the NAMM Show that the MM-100 driver's tech is adapted from the MM-500

No he didn't. But you are welcome to dream on :D

As for me, I am relaxed. With HD660S2 on my head, it cannot be otherwise :)

Unwatching this thread until MM-100 hit the market and credible information becomes available.

Peace ✌️

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #233 of 1,447

As for me, I am relaxed. With HD660S2 on my head, it cannot be otherwise :)

Unwatching this thread until MM-100 hit the market and credible information becomes available.

Peace ✌️
He did, even said that FR is almost same. Here, take it. At the end of the video.

Apr 18, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #234 of 1,447
It's not unthinkable for them to use whatever experience they had making all their previous headphones, which of course includes MM500, to make the MM100. Even if it was not modification of the exact MM500 driver, if they share some similar characteristics, one could argue that MM100's new driver indeed is adapted from MM500, especially when they're under the same product line.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #235 of 1,447
According to the newsletter I received from Audeze Insider announcing the MM-100 here is a direct quote: "Studio-Trusted Sound for Everyone
MM-100 sports all-new planar magnetic drivers designed for class-leading detail and low distortion. The premium chassis is built for comfort and durability, featuring aluminum, magnesium, spring steel, and gel-filled leather earpads. MM-100 includes a versatile single-sided cable with adapter, for convenient connections to all of your gear."
As you can see, this is an all-new planar magnetic driver, just a little info that keeps my excitement high...
Cheers

To me, the most intriguing detail is the earpads. Gel-filled instead of foam-filled? Taken at face value, that means an entirely different kind of earpad than Audeze, or most companies, have offered in the past. The gel-filled pads I've tried have led to very warm ears, slow fit, very isolated sound, and bloated bass. A mixed bag. But, a gel-filled option and the ability to swap in the LCD-5 of MM-500 pads could lead to some interesting results in pad-rolling.

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #236 of 1,447
But, a gel-filled option and the ability to swap in the LCD-5 of MM-500 pads could lead to some interesting results in pad-rolling.
From the looks of it, it seems to be still the usual Audeze's fare of glued-on pads though, so annoying to pad roll them. Gosh, I wished they found a way to avoid gluing pads.

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #238 of 1,447
Like losing your warranty. See Audeze FAQ section about pressurization and diaphragm crinkling.

Pad rollers gonna roll pads, warranty or not.

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #240 of 1,447
I have pad rolled Audezes many times in the past. It's really not such a scary and risky process if done slowly and carefully. Of course, do not cover the entire opening of the pad with your palm. Pull firmly but carefully on one side hooking your fingers as close as possible to the glued rim and let it peel off slowly under constant pressure for 5-10 minutes. Don't rush the process. Help yourself with a plastic or wood chisel if needed. With the stock pads removed, it becomes very easy to try on a few pads at a time and experiment because you can just put on the new pads without removing the safety paper and just listen to the changes. Even if the new pads are freshly glued on, they are relatively easy to peel off within the first few minutes. It takes considerable pressure and time to get them stuck firmly enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back