Audeze MM-100
Apr 17, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #211 of 1,445
MM-100 has a unique driver, newly created just for this headphone, and does not appear in any other Audeze product.

So which is it:
  • Scaled down MM-500 driver,
  • Adapted from another headphone,
  • Unique, newly created.

Apr 17, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #213 of 1,445
But instead we get a pre-order.
You all act as if pre orders were a bad thing.

The Alternative is to keep silent until release and then throw out the surprise with new stuff.

This way you at least know that they will release soon and can prepare by setting money aside or restrain from buying other things

Apr 17, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #214 of 1,445
You all act as if pre orders were a bad thing.

The Alternative is to keep silent until release and then throw out the surprise with new stuff.
Its all a suprise anyway since they arent providing the most important info mentioned by @Alex May. Maybe the pre-order strategy is to break even before reviews stall sales. ?? We dont know because they are silent.

Apr 17, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #215 of 1,445
Its all a suprise anyway since they arent providing the most important info mentioned by @Alex May. Maybe the pre-order strategy is to break even before reviews stall sales. ?? We dont know because they are silent.
Nonetheless for the customer it's a benefit.

Either they announce them now and open for pre orders for release in june.
Or they announce and release them in june.

Apr 17, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #216 of 1,445
But instead we get a pre-order.
Funny, I'm on the 109 Pro page at Meze's website, and I don't see frequency graphs or measurements at all -- for a product that's been on the market for months. I also see nothing but marketing-speak -- which is fine and should be expected -- in the description of the sound.

I'm also on the Edition XS page on HiFiMan's site. No graphs and just pure marketing-speak about the sonic signature. No description of the "catch" of releasing a $500 headphone in fall 2021 that arguably outperforms the $700 Ananda and plays closer to the $1,300 Arya than many expected.

The Meze and HiFiMan sites have detailed specs for both of those cans, which is exactly what Audeze has live on the MM-100 page on its site. Plus we have an Audeze rep in this forum answering some questions and providing more detail about the MM-100.

Do you hold Meze and HiFiMan with the same contempt as Audeze, or do you have a sesame seed stuck under your dentures about Audeze for a certain reason? Were you this pissed off when HiFiMan and Meze released the Edition XS and 109 Pro to the North American market without preorders but with nearly all initial inventory sold, which made those two cans tough to get for the first month or two they were available on these shores?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #217 of 1,445
Apr 17, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #219 of 1,445
Sounds like a disservice if the MM-100 is not worth the cost. I couldve bought something else to enjoy instead.

Yes!
Well regardless of the pre order you can simply wait for reviews and impressions or even how they will change after years of ownership.

Nobody forces you to pre order.
The option however is beneficial compared to not knowing about them at all until release

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #220 of 1,445
Well regardless of the pre order you can simply wait for reviews and impressions or even how they will change after years if ownership.
You mean quiet hardware updates over time?

Nobody forces you to pre order.
True.

The option however is beneficial compared to not knowing about them at all until release
I guess so. The marketing and trending house sound is a bit suspect imo.

Ill cancel my preorder and wait. Early impressions are already worrying. $400 is a good deal but depends on how much Audeze nerfed the driver.

Apr 17, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #221 of 1,445
So which is it:
  • Scaled down MM-500 driver,
  • Adapted from another headphone,
  • Unique, newly created.

It is a newly-designed driver for MM-100.

Of course, it features processes, technologies, and knowledge found in other planar drivers that we make. This is not news.

Audeze engineers have been hard at work to make this the best headphone for mixing and mastering that they can, at a price point that's affordable to a wide range of users. Our growth and advancement as a company allows us to do this more effectively than ever.

Apr 17, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #222 of 1,445
Ill cancel my preorder and wait. Early impressions are already worrying. $400 is a good deal but depends on how much Audeze nerfed the driver.

What early impressions have you seen that are worrying you?

I'm not sure what people are expecting out of a $400 dollar planar.
So far I've seen comments noting the following:

- The headphone from a sound quality/performance standpoint seem to be closer to a XS than Sundara.
- Sound Stage edges out the Sundara.
- Comparisons made against the LCD-X and MM-500, some feel the MM-100 is fairly close to those two but not better.

I don't know, seems like a winner to me?

My pre-order is locked in and not going anywhere.

Apr 17, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #224 of 1,445
Apr 17, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #225 of 1,445
Yeah I would say the MM series with the 500 and 100 both being shown off first at NAMM shows a rather focus of a reference/pro-audio sound this product is for. Though in my opinion, talking a lot with folks at NAMM that come from pro world and not know much about audiophile world there is a bit of overlap without a doubt.

At the some of the booths there did seem to be a few folks that admitted that one headphone was a bit colored but it was quite enjoyable to them. So while they might not use it for mastering they could use it for a chill out session.

Audeze I do appreciate in that their diverse lineup that keeps the older models around while giving them headband/earpad refreshes at least. Sound preference wise, at least from my perspective we do tend to have a lot more customer interest in the LCD-X then say the LCD-2 or 2C where as 5 years the complete opposite was true.

My personal hope from Audeze, bring back the LCD-4 but keep the sound the same and don't mess with the driver unless it does make a tangible difference in sound. Do some tweaking of the cups or headband for comfort but I want to hear that LCD-4 again.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back