Audeze MM-100
Apr 13, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #136 of 1,447
Even if they sound terrible, I know I'll at least be able to harvest that frame and make a cool DIY build. Obviously, I'm hoping it doesn't come to that, but if it does, that frame is too solid and cool lookin' to not get used. 👍😎
Plus if they're bad, I'm sure there's still gonna be some serious potential in that driver. People have worked wonders with the Monoprice 1070 and Fostex T50-RP, after all

Apr 13, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #137 of 1,447
Plus if they're bad, I'm sure there's still gonna be some serious potential in that driver. People have worked wonders with the Monoprice 1070 and Fostex T50-RP, after all

Absolutely! Could end up being a modder's holy grail kinda headphone if push comes to shove. Basically, there are a lot of ways the MM-100 can end up working out okay. My preference would be that they knock this outta the park and they're great OOTB. If not, they seem like they'll offer a solid platform for modding or DIY part harvesting that can be taken in many different directions. I mean, it would be cool to see something aside from Fostex on the planar mod market kinda like the LFF mods done off the Hifiman HE5s. 👍😎

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #138 of 1,447
Absolutely! Could end up being a modder's holy grail kinda headphone if push comes to shove. Basically, there are a lotnof ways the MM-100 can end up working out okay. My preference would be that they knock this outta the park and they're great OOTB. If not, they seem like they'll offer a solid platform for modding or DIY part harvesting that can be taken is many different directions. I mean, it would be cool to see something aside from Fostex on the planar mod market kinda like the LFF mods done off the Hifiman HE5s. 👍😎
Honestly I'm more excited for the modding potential than anything else. If you consider that both ZMF and DCA started out modding T50s and now they both have legitimate TOTL offerings, who knows what a sensitive, 90mm planar driver could do?

Apr 13, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #139 of 1,447
Honestly I'm more excited for the modding potential than anything else. If you consider that both ZMF and DCA started out modding T50s and now they both have legitimate TOTL offerings, who knows where a sensitive, 90mm planar driver could do?

No doubt! It does offer some tantalizing prospects, for sure. 👍😎

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #140 of 1,447
Even if they sound terrible, I know I'll at least be able to harvest that frame and make a cool DIY build. Obviously, I'm hoping it doesn't come to that, but if it does, that frame is too solid and cool lookin' to not get used. 👍😎
I think they will sound fine. Worst case scenario is that they will show what the sturdier frame and cup materials bring to the table and how much they affect the sound. The LCD-1 didn’t give us this opportunity.
New thread, same old conversation about pre-orders.

Get over it, they exist, and will continue to exist for literally every new product lunch from here on out.
Oh, 🤗

I think we should pre-order everything, from DACs to gasoline. Make it like a Mickey D’s drive-thru.

Select the desired upcoming headphone from your car, drive up to the first window, pay, listen to the radio for a month or two, drive up to the second window and when the window opens, take your bag with the MM100 and head off. Be sure to check the bag to make sure your order is correct.

Apr 14, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #141 of 1,447
Believe it or not, I totally feel you on that. Watching that cycle play out over and over again can be annoying, for sure. It's one thing if the products live up to the hype and are successful over the long term, but seeing mediocre crap get schilled hard only to disappear from the scene once everyone who bought them realizes they got over-hyped gets old real quick.
Agree. I also think it comes down to everyone's experience with and loyalty to certain brands.

I have LOVED both Audeze cans I've owned -- the LCD-2C and the LCD-X 2021. So, if I was going to preorder a headphone from a company (which I'm not), Audeze probably would be atop that list. JDS Labs also earns that status with amps and DACs with me.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #142 of 1,447
There was no classic rock after the late 80’s but I get what you’re saying.
My apologies for jumping in here. I too am classic rock fan, and the "sound wars" phenomenon is real. Essentially began in the mid-late eighties and really took off in he 90's. It's not just the classic rock was affected but most genres. Most recordings initially, were not bad, but the RE-mixing intentionally accentuating the lower and upper frequencies was the downfall. You can still find excellent classic rock recordings (and other genres), mostly before 1990. There are poor ones also for the same albums. I exclusively use the drsoundwars website searching for my prospective purchases before I buy which is exclusively CDs. Just my 2¢... in any case, I too am interested in the MM-100s tuning and technicalities...Could be the answer for me in a more affordable headphone.
Cheers

Apr 14, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #143 of 1,447
Agree. I also think it comes down to everyone's experience with and loyalty to certain brands.

I have LOVED both Audeze cans I've owned -- the LCD-2C and the LCD-X 2021. So, if I was going to preorder a headphone from a company (which I'm not), Audeze probably would be atop that list. JDS Labs also earns that status with amps and DACs with me.

Definitely. Even though Audeze's headphones have been hit and miss for me regarding their tuning suiting my preferences, I have found all of them to be well made and to resell quickly at decent used prices which makes pre-ordering something a much easier call. The MM-100s ostensibly being a continuance of the MM line and that tuning philosophy is another draw since the MM-500s have my favorite tuning of any of the Audezes I have heard. For the record I have heard multiple LCD-2 models, the LCD-X, LCD-4, LCD-5, MM-500, Audeze EL-8 Ti and Closed, Penrose, Sine 10 & 20, and i4.

Apr 14, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #144 of 1,447
Definitely. Even though Audeze's headphones have been hit and miss for me regarding their tuning suiting my preferences, I have found all of them to be well made and to resell quickly at decent used prices which makes pre-ordering something a much easier call. The MM-100s ostensibly being a continuance of the MM line and that tuning philosophy is another draw since the MM-500s have my favorite tuning of any of the Audezes I have heard. For the record I have heard multiple LCD-2 models, the LCD-X, LCD-4, LCD-5, MM-500, Audeze EL-8 Ti and Closed, Penrose, Sine 10 & 20, and i4.
Audeze person. (I'm jealous!) :) :) :)

Apr 14, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #145 of 1,447
Audeze person. (I'm jealous!) :) :) :)

LOL 😂 I'm an equal opportunity gear person really. I just like hearing different takes and perspectives on audio/music. It keeps things fresh and interesting. I still need to track down a good pair of LCD-3s. Based on impressions/reviews, I think there's a good chance that I'll enjoy them quite a bit. 👍😎

Apr 14, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #146 of 1,447
They're likely sourcing at least some of the parts for this headphone from China, which is probably part of why they're doing the pre-order thing, so they know how big of a production run they need

Apr 14, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #147 of 1,447
From the specs and looking at the design these have the potential to be Audeze's best headphone yet for a lot of people because of the down to earth weight(the unconfirmed weight), a down to earth price and the aluminum/steel/magnesium build.

Adjustable headband. That is a good move too.

If these sound good they will be a runaway hit with music producers.

It looks like after some time and many attempts Audeze have finally learned that they are incapable of designing products with plastic parts and that really is the biggest development here.

Apr 14, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #148 of 1,447
I'm waiting with great anticipation for the first impression from either the NAMM or AXPONA show...

Apr 14, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #149 of 1,447
It looks like after some time and many attempts Audeze have finally learned that they are incapable of designing products with plastic parts and that really is the biggest development here.
The Maxwell though?

Apr 14, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #150 of 1,447
The Maxwell though?
Those have aluminum yokes and a steel headband which is similar to the MM-100. After seeing both of these in a row it looks like Audeze is done with the plastic. That's what I am getting at.

Before that came the LCD-1 and the previous gaming headsets. My LCD-1 developed hairline cracks from very light and infrequent use and extremely careful handling and creaked like an old floor. A lot of Audeze's plastic gaming headsets have broken and I saw where people are 3d printing parts for them.

Meanwhile a lot of people have been using the same pair of plastic Sennheisers since the beginning of time. I once had a pair ATH-m50s for a decade and then passed them along(because they didn't sound so good) and they're still going with the new owner. That's how a plastic build is done.

There's nothing wrong with plastic, but Audeze is really bad with it and they need to stop and it looks like they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back