Audeze MM-100
Aug 30, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #766 of 1,463
Well, here are a couple more pros who have been mixing and mastering on cans for years with great results. Scheps achieves this using a set of lowly Sony cans through the years even. Once you get the hang of it and learn/trust how your cans translate you can often do it without double checking on different setups etc.

At the present time the majority of music fans out there are listening on earphones anyway according to available stats.

These guys point out some of the pitfalls to look out for:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #768 of 1,463
Just received tracking information from audeze - arrival is 9/6
Screenshot_20230830-134951-498.png

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #769 of 1,463
Same here. I'll want to try it out before I go any further to see if it'll be usefull in my mastering application, by itself or as a supplement to my other headphones. Stock cable or upgraded cable I'll decide on after that as well. One of our local pro shops have informed me the first MM-100 shipment will arrive here by air around 9/15 and they plan to have it ready for sale soon after.
I would never use headphones or even nearfield speakers for mastering, as they exaggerate the transients. The results will sound different on good midfield speakers in a good room than you intended.
But if you have no other choice, I would use headphones with a flat a bass. Audeze are pretty good at this. Most rooms are too small and have modes. Headphones are a helpful tool to check lower frequencies and for detecting clicks, pops, rumbles, etc.
The more transparent the better you can hear those things.

Aug 31, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #770 of 1,463
@bonnei100 I'd be very careful using Audeze cans for mastering due to their tuning which is not transparent and the fact that most pairs I had and/or listen to so far were all playing differently. Considering their low quality and therefore low durability I'd be rather looking for most transparent headphone build like a tank (or at least easily replacable) but not very heavy one :wink: While Audeze is marketing some of their products as designed for mastering I can not think why any pro would really like to use headphones with particular tuning removing transparency from the equation.
You can not look at headphones specifically designed for pro audio and engineers in an audiophile standpoint, they will always have serious flaws. Pro audio headphones can have whacked out tuning but all that serve a purpose as a perfect and or specific tool in the pro audio world. You wouldn't want to use a hammer to drive down a screw right? Though possible, there are proper tools to do it right.

As for me, I just want to hear what the 100 is offering and is it worth keeping. Also, the $400-$600 seem to be where everything is happening with pro audio phones.

Aug 31, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #771 of 1,463
Aug 31, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #772 of 1,463
Aug 31, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #773 of 1,463
You can not look at headphones specifically designed for pro audio and engineers in an audiophile standpoint, they will always have serious flaws. Pro audio headphones can have whacked out tuning but all that serve a purpose as a perfect and or specific tool in the pro audio world. You wouldn't want to use a hammer to drive down a screw right? Though possible, there are proper tools to do it right.

As for me, I just want to hear what the 100 is offering and is it worth keeping. Also, the $400-$600 seem to be where everything is happening with pro audio phones.
@ThEvil0nE let me just say that I think you misunderstood my post and secondly it was not me who has been looking for cans for mixing. Other than that I do agree with some of your statements.

Aug 31, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #774 of 1,463
Why change it from a Standard?
Looks like a huge design flaw to me
I believe it's to support using a single side rather than requiring a single-sided cable. I don't know anything about this but I've yet to see anyone headphone that can use typical pin-out configurations and still support single-sided cables along with dual-entry cables.

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #776 of 1,463
Got mine today! Very nice quality. (obviously) Way nicer than my Sundara or Edition XS.
Sweet! Please post pics when you can :) Even before you give impressions if you want to understandably wait to really get a sense of them. :)

Mine are arriving tomorrow, according to what it looks like from FedEx -- funnily enough, I also got another FedEx alert about another shipment from Audeze (replacement for my defective Maxwell set), so I'm only 95% sure what's coming tomorrow is the MM-100 and what's coming Tuesday is the Maxwell, but I could have it backwards. :sweat_smile:

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #777 of 1,463
Aug 31, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #778 of 1,463
Sweet! Please post pics when you can :) Even before you give impressions if you want to understandably wait to really get a sense of them. :)

Mine are arriving tomorrow, according to what it looks like from FedEx -- funnily enough, I also got another FedEx alert about another shipment from Audeze (replacement for my defective Maxwell set), so I'm only 95% sure what's coming tomorrow is the MM-100 and what's coming Tuesday is the Maxwell, but I could have it backwards. :sweat_smile:

photo_5154820367590732590_y.jpg

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #779 of 1,463

Users who are viewing this thread

Back