AUDEZE LCD XC
Jul 17, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #3,106 of 4,142
I felt the XC's were a little off the first day I got them but after more time on them I now find that the treble is not too bright or off as like my ps500's are, but more accurate and detailed, their amazing sounding hp's I really enjoy them..

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #3,107 of 4,142
The XC’s are becoming my favorite Audeze headphone because of that top end. I sold the LCD-X’s I had and I’m thinking about selling my LCD-4’s.

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #3,108 of 4,142
The XC’s are becoming my favorite Audeze headphone because of that top end. I sold the LCD-X’s I had and I’m thinking about selling my LCD-4’s.

How does the XC compare to the X? There's not much in the way of a comparison of the two, and I got the impression that they were extremely close in sound.

Jul 18, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #3,109 of 4,142
How does the XC compare to the X? There's not much in the way of a comparison of the two, and I got the impression that they were extremely close in sound.
When I bought the X's I thought they would be a more open sounding XC and they weren't. The XC's sound just as open to my ears as the X's. The X's has a grill cloth/dust cover on the vents and maybe that's effecting the sound. With the X's there was something going on in the upper mids and lower treble that didn't sound right to me. It drove me nuts. It was as if there was a hole in the music. When I went back to the XC's that hole in the sound was not there.

I had the latest drivers installed on my XC's earlier this year and the X's were purchased this year. So both headphones have Audeze's latest driver in them. The XC's just sounded better to me. Maybe because it's tuned differently since it's a closed headphone. But there is a difference in the sound between the two. The XC's has more bass impact. naturally, the mids and treble are also better balanced than the X's to my ears. I bought a CF headband for my XC's to help with weight distribution and I highly recommend anyone with an XC do so.

Jul 18, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #3,110 of 4,142
When I bought the X's I thought they would be a more open sounding XC and they weren't. The XC's sound just as open to my ears as the X's. The X's has a grill cloth/dust cover on the vents and maybe that's effecting the sound. With the X's there was something going on in the upper mids and lower treble that didn't sound right to me. It drove me nuts. It was as if there was a hole in the music. When I went back to the XC's that hole in the sound was not there.

I had the latest drivers installed on my XC's earlier this year and the X's were purchased this year. So both headphones have Audeze's latest driver in them. The XC's just sounded better to me. Maybe because it's tuned differently since it's a closed headphone. But there is a difference in the sound between the two. The XC's has more bass impact. naturally, the mids and treble are also better balanced than the X's to my ears. I bought a CF headband for my XC's to help with weight distribution and I highly recommend anyone with an XC do so.

I've heard that complaint about the upper mids/lower treble before, but I've never thought of it as a detriment. For me, it just gives the headphone some personality. Plus, it's pretty common in planars to have a dip in the FR there. I guess what I mean is that I'm not looking to find something that fixes the FR of the X, but I also was looking for something different enough to warrant a new purchase. I've read some impressions that make it seem like the X and XC sound exactly the same. Good to know they don't.

Anyway, thanks for the impressions! I'm going to consider the XC alongside the new LCD-2 Closed.

Jul 18, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #3,111 of 4,142
I've heard that complaint about the upper mids/lower treble before, but I've never thought of it as a detriment. For me, it just gives the headphone some personality. Plus, it's pretty common in planars to have a dip in the FR there. I guess what I mean is that I'm not looking to find something that fixes the FR of the X, but I also was looking for something different enough to warrant a new purchase. I've read some impressions that make it seem like the X and XC sound exactly the same. Good to know they don't.

Anyway, thanks for the impressions! I'm going to consider the XC alongside the new LCD-2 Closed.
The X is a nice headphone. Many people I let listen to liked it quite a bit. If I didn't have the XC and some other headphones to compare it too that dip probably would not have been so discernible. I probably would've enjoyed them more than I did. But since I had the XC's and found they could do what the X's did but better I didn't have a need for both.

Jul 18, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #3,113 of 4,142
I was looking forward to getting the LCD-4 to compare against the XCs thinking they would surpass them in every way possible (except isolation of course :))
Curious about why you prefer the XCs and what are the strengths/weaknesses for both.
The LCD-4's are superb headphones. I really want to move on from the LCD-4 for other reasons not because the XC's are the better headphone. The XC's do give me enough of the LCD-4's performance that I feel I could live without them if I did decide to sell them.

Unlike the X's the LCD-4's do make the XC's sound like a closed headphone. It's tougher to compare these two headphones because one is truly a TOTL headphone and does darn near every right. The LCD-4's really have no weakness. But as my preference they could use a little more sparkle up top but that's it. If you take the LCD-XC's in the context of the closed headphone they are then you'll be hard pressed to find a better closed can. If you want to pick them up then you should because they are truly complementary headphones.

Jul 18, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #3,114 of 4,142
I will agree with you @Slim1970 on the X vs XC's never owned the X's but listened to my friends pair a lot the XC's sound nicer & bass is deeper & harder I love their sq, I have not heard the LCD4's but sure do want to give them a try, wish they weren't so pricey..enjoy guys

Jul 19, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #3,116 of 4,142
Jul 19, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #3,117 of 4,142
Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 10.48.07.png
I'm trying my damnedest to power through the highs so I can appreciate them but I'm struggling—the highs are downing out the bass. Here's my frequency graph, how does it compare to those who are loving the sound?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #3,118 of 4,142
I'm trying my damnedest to power through the highs so I can appreciate them but I'm struggling—the highs are downing out the bass. Here's my frequency graph, how does it compare to those who are loving the sound?
What amp are you driving them with?

Jul 19, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #3,120 of 4,142
iDSD micro Black Label.
You shouldn't be lacking any bass with amp. I had good success with that amp driving my XC's. I had plenty of bass impact and depth. It was one of my favorite pairings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back