AUDEZE LCD XC
Jul 19, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #3,122 of 4,151
ModestMeowth:

Just give them a chance to break in. The iFi DSD Black will be fine to drive them. However, even though they are only 20 ohms, they still need a good Balanced amp to really get everything out of them (I am not saying run out and get a new Amp). I am using a stock balanced cable and an older Schiit Mjolnir and I have no issues with treble. The Bass is very tight and powerful.
Audeze LCD-XC and Schiit Mjolnir 2.jpg

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #3,124 of 4,151
iDSD micro Black Label.

you might want to give another amp a try ifi amps are on the bright side my son has the black and I almost got the ican pro but it was too bright for my liking, I don't find the XC's bright, just a thought..

Jul 19, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #3,126 of 4,151
you might want to give another amp a try ifi amps are on the bright side my son has the black and I almost got the ican pro but it was too bright for my liking, I don't find the XC's bright, just a thought..

Not my experience with the Black Label at all. Warmer than my other three amps. I don't run my X or 2 through it often for that reason.

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #3,127 of 4,151
For my XC and 3s it took a more powerful amp for them to really shine. The XC lost all thinness I was perceiving.

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #3,129 of 4,151
I'm thinking about buying the creators package instead of the regular as it is cheaper. Can anyone tell me the actual difference? i know that with the creators package you just don't get the nice box right, but then what does the headphones itself actually ship in? Is there no type of carrying case or box etc...It kinda concerns me to ship it as i have no idea what it ships in?

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #3,130 of 4,151
I'm thinking about buying the creators package instead of the regular as it is cheaper. Can anyone tell me the actual difference? i know that with the creators package you just don't get the nice box right, but then what does the headphones itself actually ship in? Is there no type of carrying case or box etc...It kinda concerns me to ship it as i have no idea what it ships in?

I bought mine in the creator's package from a local audiophile shop. It came with the updated leather headband. It is shipped in a big cardboard box with a hell of a lot of dense foam padding cutout to fit the headphones. Effectively a foam-filled cardboard version of the Pelican-style carrying case. That box is then put inside of a UPS box that was filled with peanuts.

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #3,131 of 4,151
No difference in sound just different packaging. I honestly don't even use the Pelican case that mine came with unless I take them to a meet or something. Otherwise, my LCD-XC's are sitting on a stand 99% of the time. The creator's package is an absolute bargain. Don't hesitate picking them up.

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #3,132 of 4,151
No difference in sound just different packaging. I honestly don't even use the Pelican case that mine came with unless I take them to a meet or something. Otherwise, my LCD-XC's are sitting on a stand 99% of the time. The creator's package is an absolute bargain. Don't hesitate picking them up.
I'm seriously considering adding them to my ranks, they look like the ideal closed back for me. i was just a bit concerned about how protected they would be when shipping. I see you have quite the headphone collection under your spoiler. How do the XC rate compared to your other hp's, especially your closed backs? Sony Z1R, Fostex 900, etc...

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #3,133 of 4,151
I'm seriously considering adding them to my ranks, they look like the ideal closed back for me. i was just a bit concerned about how protected they would be when shipping.

This is the box the Creater's Package LCD-X shipped in, surrounded by a larger cardboard box and plastic air cushions. Perfectly sturdy in transit.

20180802_173010.jpg 20180802_173021.jpg

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #3,135 of 4,151
I'm seriously considering adding them to my ranks, they look like the ideal closed back for me. i was just a bit concerned about how protected they would be when shipping. I see you have quite the headphone collection under your spoiler. How do the XC rate compared to your other hp's, especially your closed backs? Sony Z1R, Fostex 900, etc...
I would rank them as follows:

1A) The Z1R's with the Sony/Kimber cable. They just do everything right to my ears and are the most musical of the three. They have subwoofer type bass that's incredible to hear. But it's done in a way that it doesn't intrude on any of the other frequencies. It's truly unique to my ears.
1B) The TH-900 MKII with balanced cable are the most open sounding closed headphone I've heard. It just squeezes by the Z1R's in that category. Prodigious bass and incredible clarity. Slighty v-shaped but it's the best v-shaped headphone I've ever heard.
1C) The LCD-XC's with the new headband and silver cable. Details galore with that satisfying planar bass thump. Incredible sounding with fast transients.

They all are great closed headphones. It's just a matter of preference really. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite, hence my ranking. They all bring something different to the table and scale very well with better sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back