AUDEZE LCD XC
Feb 27, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #2,731 of 4,151
Have had the LCD XCs for a long while, but never really got what the big deal was about them, when hearing people go on about the detailed yet natural mids, the tight bass, and the imaging etc. I kept them as I had some sense of their interesting imaging abilities, but was never wowed by them and didn't understand what the praise was all about. After trying them from time to time, I would always just go back to enjoying the TH-900s. 

But then, I never used them with a decent DAC either, and was probably under-powering them as well. Recently though, I dusted off the XCs and tried them with the line out feature of my Chord Mojo, connected to a Burson Soloist amp, and finally got to hear what all the fuss was about. The mids are clear and magically natural, the parts of the music so well divided, and the isolated sense of being in my own music hall is transporting. I love my TH-900s, but the clarity and natural quality to the mids especially with the XCs feel like a veil has been lifted.

The TH-900s do still have a rumbly bass that adds something to certain tracks, at the cost of some precision and with the usual relatively recessed mids. The TH-900s are also obviously a lot more comfortable for everyday use, for gaming and perhaps movie watching for example. As such, it's certainly nice to have both. 

But for serious music listening, I find myself, to my own surprise, leaning towards the XCs a lot lately. 

Sharing this experience to point out something - I suspect that cans like the XC are sometimes discounted by folks like myself for a while due to being just a bit harder to get the most out of, despite being relatively efficient for planars, than some other closed cans. In comparison, my TH-900s sound great from an IPad, from a lower powered amp, or from a computer without a high quality DAC etc. While not super picky about what you put behind them, I think the XCs do need a bit more, and are just not always out-of-the-box impressive without that extra something to reveal their abilities for detail and imaging.

Also, the naturalness of the sound does not always have the immediate Wow factor that buzzily aggressive dynamic headphones can sometimes bring to the table from the start. For some, the XCs can be more of an acquired taste.

In short, I suggest giving the XCs more of a chance than I did at first, and try them with different equipment combinations that may suit you before discounting them. They may surprise you after a while.             

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #2,732 of 4,151
Have had the LCD XCs for a long while, but never really got what the big deal was about them, when hearing people go on about the detailed yet natural mids, the tight bass, and the imaging etc. I kept them as I had some sense of their interesting imaging abilities, but was never wowed by them and didn't understand what the praise was all about. After trying them from time to time, I would always just go back to enjoying the TH-900s. 

But then, I never used them with a decent DAC either, and was probably under-powering them as well. Recently though, I dusted off the XCs and tried them with the line out feature of my Chord Mojo, connected to a Burson Soloist amp, and finally got to hear what all the fuss was about. The mids are clear and magically natural, the parts of the music so well divided, and the isolated sense of being in my own music hall is transporting. I love my TH-900s, but the clarity and natural quality to the mids especially with the XCs feel like a veil has been lifted.

The TH-900s do still have a rumbly bass that adds something to certain tracks, at the cost of some precision and with the usual relatively recessed mids. The TH-900s are also obviously a lot more comfortable for everyday use, for gaming and perhaps movie watching for example. As such, it's certainly nice to have both. 

But for serious music listening, I find myself, to my own surprise, leaning towards the XCs a lot lately. 

Sharing this experience to point out something - I suspect that cans like the XC are sometimes discounted by folks like myself for a while due to being just a bit harder to get the most out of, despite being relatively efficient for planars, than some other closed cans. In comparison, my TH-900s sound great from an IPad, from a lower powered amp, or from a computer without a high quality DAC etc. While not super picky about what you put behind them, I think the XCs do need a bit more, and are just not always out-of-the-box impressive without that extra something to reveal their abilities for detail and imaging.

Also, the naturalness of the sound does not always have the immediate Wow factor that buzzily aggressive dynamic headphones can sometimes bring to the table from the start. For some, the XCs can be more of an acquired taste.

In short, I suggest giving the XCs more of a chance than I did at first, and try them with different equipment combinations that may suit you before discounting them. They may surprise you after a while.             

Well I am really happy to hear that you've discovered how to 'lift that veil. ' :wink:
Absolutely, the LCD XC's need great teammates with in the AMP & DAC areas of a sound chain. I would tell anyone that from the very beginning upon grabbing these awesome headphones.
Enjoy.
And one day I plan to own a pair along with the woo audio wa8 to accompany them. :wink:

Happy listening.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #2,733 of 4,151
I totally agree.
I have had the opportunity to listen without time or commercial pressure to several different headphones and different DAF/amp at Casquehifi.com in PARIS. Probably the only place in the surroundings where you can spend a whole afternoon testing numerous combinations.
At the beginning, I was not particularly impressed by the LCD-XC. With entry level gears, the TH 900 was somewhat more demonstrative. But switching to higher level amps, the LCD-XC clearly made the difference. When properly driven, these cans can reach another level.They are able to deliver a lot of emotion when properly driven, that the TH 900 can not match.
After very serious tests on various kind of music (fed by my AK'380), I paired these fantastic cans with a quite remarquable amp, the Rudistor RP8K-VT (hybrid tube/solid state). This combination is really astounding.
If you can test them, you should not regret.
I wish you a lot of emotion!

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #2,734 of 4,151
Well I am really happy to hear that you've discovered how to 'lift that veil. '
wink.gif

Absolutely, the LCD XC's need great teammates with in the AMP & DAC areas of a sound chain. I would tell anyone that from the very beginning upon grabbing these awesome headphones.
Enjoy.
And one day I plan to own a pair along with the woo audio wa8 to accompany them.
wink.gif

Happy listening.

Thanks, the veil lifting and rich mids was the most impressive thing about the revised experience of these cans. I have a WA7 Fireflies, which may be similar in some respects to the WA8, but have not tried the XCs with it yet to see how decent the combination is or if enough power is provided etc. Will have to try that experiment soon.  

You may indeed enjoy the XCs, though I would caution that the weight is an issue for some people. I don't find it a big problem, but one always knows these cans are there when worn. Best of luck with them when you get around to giving them a try. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #2,735 of 4,151
I totally agree.
I have had the opportunity to listen without time or commercial pressure to several different headphones and different DAF/amp at Casquehifi.com in PARIS. Probably the only place in the surroundings where you can spend a whole afternoon testing numerous combinations.
At the beginning, I was not particularly impressed by the LCD-XC. With entry level gears, the TH 900 was somewhat more demonstrative. But switching to higher level amps, the LCD-XC clearly made the difference. When properly driven, these cans can reach another level.They are able to deliver a lot of emotion when properly driven, that the TH 900 can not match.
After very serious tests on various kind of music (fed by my AK'380), I paired these fantastic cans with a quite remarquable amp, the Rudistor RP8K-VT (hybrid tube/solid state). This combination is really astounding.
If you can test them, you should not regret.
I wish you a lot of emotion!

Thanks, yes, it seems like the XCs scale quite well. I think what threw me off initially was the talk of how relatively efficient they were and how some folks even suggested running them straight from a DAP. So, that's what I started out trying. Sure, in theory, one can do that and it sounds OK for an un-amped planar. But as you say, a better equipment chain can improve these a lot upon further listening.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #2,736 of 4,151
Thanks, the veil lifting and rich mids was the most impressive thing about the revised experience of these cans. I have a WA7 Fireflies, which may be similar in some respects to the WA8, but have not tried the XCs with it yet to see how decent the combination is or if enough power is provided etc. Will have to try that experiment soon.  

You may indeed enjoy the XCs, though I would caution that the weight is an issue for some people. I don't find it a big problem, but one always knows these cans are there when worn. Best of luck with them when you get around to giving them a try. 

Mr. Sludge! Thanks for your recs. :)
I have had experience with the XC's, so I know full well what I will be getting and I will love it! The XC's have no issues with me and I actually like the weight. I'm used to a heavier Can considering I travel around with the Blue Mofi's. :)
I feel the fireflies sound more like a solid state amp then a tube amp. I've tried them as well and the woo audio wa 8, and the wa8 is a pure vacuum tube amp and it shows. It's actually, to my tastes, a much better amp then the fireflies. The wa 8 will drive the XC's and a pair of HD 800's far better then the fireflies....I just can't wait to get my hands on both wa8 and XC's but financially it's the wrong time. Beginning of next yr-2018 may be the time.
**** is expensive. :frowning2:

Mar 6, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #2,737 of 4,151
Has anyone else questioned the similarities between XC and ER4?

For a long time, I was wondering if a headphone would carry the sound signature of ER4. I think XC might be the closest candidate for that, thanks to its slightly colored/echoed mids, and its highs that tame the upper-midrange and shine after 10kHz. Overall, I find them to be very similar, with XC extending more easily towards the low and high frequencies, and sounding fuller with better texture.

see their graphs too:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=4233&graphID[]=733&scale=30

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #2,739 of 4,151
  I sold my LCD-XC Bocote wood a few months ago and regret it SO MUCH.

Can someone please point me in a direction where I can buy it again brand new?? Please please please.

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-collection/lcd-xc#buy-now-section

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #2,744 of 4,151
  I sold my LCD-XC Bocote wood a few months ago and regret it SO MUCH.

Can someone please point me in a direction where I can buy it again brand new?? Please please please.

You can buy from here: http://www.supersonido.es/p/audeze-lcdxc

They're an authorized Audeze retailer in Spain and still have the "Bocote" / "Madera" version in stock. That's where I bought mines from some months back - also the Bocote version, confirmed by Audeze being 2016 version.

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #2,745 of 4,151
If importing is not an option, another option you have is contacting directly Audeze to understand if they still have stock. I know they had some units some months back on their Private Lounge site, that you can gain access to if you have a LCD headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back