AUDEZE LCD XC
Jan 17, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #2,701 of 4,127

After upgrading to 2016 driver, then upgraded to ALO Quad Ribbon Cable (single silver, single copper design). The XC is now absolutely amazing. It's so good. I never expected cable upgrade to make such a big difference. The most significant improvement is treble extension, clarity and separation, tighter bass. There is limited soundstage improvement, but it's easily appreciated. Also looks darn sexy.

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #2,702 of 4,127
I read several comments on how good carbon fiber headband is compared to standard, I bought mine, quickly installed and.... wow, these are indeed a LOT more confortable. The only minus of the LCD-XC for me was the infamous hotspot of the original headband making too much pressure over my head, now completely gone. I already loved its tonality and resolution, now with the added confort... Wow, just perfection!
o2smile.gif

I wonder why they still sell the old headband at all, for me it is as obsolete as a typewriter nowadays. Maybe if they come up with plastic headband and microsuede strap would be a lot cheaper to manufacture, maybe not as light and cool looking, but probably good enough.

So if anyone paid the high price for their XCs and still wondering if the carbon fiber headband is worth it, do not hesitate, just upgrade and be happy.

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #2,703 of 4,127
  I read several comments on how good carbon fiber headband is compared to standard, I bought mine, quickly installed and.... wow, these are indeed a LOT more confortable. The only minus of LCD-XC for me was the infamous hotspot of the original headband making too much pressure over my head, now completely gone. I already loved it's tonality and resolution, now with the added confort... Wow, just perfection!
o2smile.gif

I wonder why they still sell the old headband at all, for me it is as obsolete as a typewriter nowadays. Maybe if they come up with plastic headband and microsuede strap would be a lot cheaper to manufacture, maybe not as light and cool looking, but probably good enough.

So if anyone paid the high price for their XCs and still wondering if the carbon fiber headband is worth it, do not hesitate, just upgrade and be happy.

It doesn't drop the weight that much right? I only wear XC lying down, so it hasn't been much of an issue. It's a nice leather band. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #2,705 of 4,127
Clamp force is slightly reduced as well IMO.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #2,706 of 4,127
The carbon headband drops weight about 35g. I weighed mine.

I think the bigger thing is that the leather part is so much wider, so the weight is far better distributed.

Clamp force is slightly reduced as well IMO.

Nice probably buy one if it shows up in classifieds.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #2,707 of 4,127
Nice probably buy one if it shows up in classifieds.

Very unlikely someone would sell theirs and go back to the old headband... I suggest buying it new.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #2,708 of 4,127
They really should offer them as optional and I bet the price would come down nicely if they didn't have to ship you the original one as well. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #2,709 of 4,127
+1 for the CF headband -- mine came in today and I installed it, and it's quite a bit more comfortable. I think the lighter mass helps, but it also seems to spread out the force way more than the stock headband.

Only thing I keep the stock around for at this point I guess is the serial number.

I did also order the leather care kit -- how often (if at all) do you folks use it?

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #2,710 of 4,127

Code:
 I ordered a Woo WA-8 10 days ago (still waiting) and got a hankering to match that up with a better closed headphone. This is only for office use at work where it's all open, so a closed headphone is a must. Currently using the EL-8C with the Chord Hugo. Was thinking of Mr. Speakers Ether C regular or flow. But none of my local haunts has one to try out and couldn't bring myself to purchase one yet. So I thought let me try the LCD-XC and borrowed one from my dealer yesterday. Wow these sound really good! I took them home to compare with my LCD-4s running off a Bryston BHA-1 fed from a Benchmark DAC2. They sound really good and fun. Different from the LCD-4s and I think I prefer the 4s ultimately but the XCs are very yummy. Comfort was a big question and yesterday I felt they might be OK but I didn't have them on my head for an extended period. This morning at work I had them on my head for a little over an hour. Although not terribly uncomfortable, they are still uncomfortable enough (especially when you are coding away at the same time). So disappointingly I may have to pass on them. But I'll try them again and decide. Listening to the same album on the EL8C right now as I did with the XC this morning and it sounds quite good (a little brighter). Just not as good as the XC. Sigh.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #2,712 of 4,127

Code:
 I ordered a Woo WA-8 10 days ago (still waiting) and got a hankering to match that up with a better closed headphone. This is only for office use at work where it's all open, so a closed headphone is a must. Currently using the EL-8C with the Chord Hugo. Was thinking of Mr. Speakers Ether C regular or flow. But none of my local haunts has one to try out and couldn't bring myself to purchase one yet. So I thought let me try the LCD-XC and borrowed one from my dealer yesterday. Wow these sound really good! I took them home to compare with my LCD-4s running off a Bryston BHA-1 fed from a Benchmark DAC2. They sound really good and fun. Different from the LCD-4s and I think I prefer the 4s ultimately but the XCs are very yummy. Comfort was a big question and yesterday I felt they might be OK but I didn't have them on my head for an extended period. This morning at work I had them on my head for a little over an hour. Although not terribly uncomfortable, they are still uncomfortable enough (especially when you are coding away at the same time). So disappointingly I may have to pass on them. But I'll try them again and decide. Listening to the same album on the EL8C right now as I did with the XC this morning and it sounds quite good (a little brighter). Just not as good as the XC. Sigh.

Can you try the XC with the same headband as your LCD-4?  Some people really like the suspension headband for all their Audeze HP.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2,713 of 4,127
Some people? All people! I am yet to find someone who tested the CF headband and preferred the old one.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #2,714 of 4,127
Some people? All people! I am yet to find someone who tested the CF headband and preferred the old one.
Come on now. It's head-fi we're talking about! For every universal claim is someone claiming the opposite. I'm sure someone things the XC is light, muted in the treble, and better with the original headband! :p

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #2,715 of 4,127
Come on now. It's head-fi we're talking about! For every universal claim is someone claiming the opposite. I'm sure someone things the XC is light, muted in the treble, and better with the original headband! :p

I don't know about light, but with the vegan headband and earpads they're certainly comfortable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back