AUDEZE LCD XC
Jan 28, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2,716 of 4,151
I've noticed I can easily bend the part of the gimbal where the rods screw into. Surely this isn't normal (and can eventually snap). My X is quite stiff in that spot.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #2,717 of 4,151
going to research this model more.
might try it out.
have not had an audeze before.

currently have senn hd650s

my dacs/amps are not too sophisticated ($$$$$) but hopefully
they'd still pair well: dragonfly red, chord mojo, iFi micro idsd and the
mapletree ear plus purist hd tube amp.

i was looking into focal elear, too...new sony z1r too, but they're pricey.
(cans are getting crazily priced nowadays)

i can get a pair of these used 9/10 condition for US$1100.

as noted I haven't tried any audeze yet...just wanting something different:
well balanced, detailed, punchy, great for many genres and easy to pair with various equipment.

feedback is kindly appreciated.

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #2,718 of 4,151
might try it out.

well balanced, detailed, punchy, great for many genres and easy to pair with various equipment.

Coming from the HD650's, you might want to check out the Audeze LCD 2's, instead of the XC's.  The XC's have a pretty hot treble that might be an issue for you, coming from a darker headphone.  The Elear's also sound like they are bit closer to the HD650's sound signature than the XC's, but I've never heard the Focals.  However, if you looking for something completely different, the  XC's might work for you.  They are a really nice sounding headphone, just be aware they could be bright.  (They certainly are on my setup with my ears)

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #2,719 of 4,151
I went from the 650s to the XCs and was not disappointed, though I do agree with the above. The treble is a little hot but the beautiful bass to go with really makes it a beautiful resolving sound. I think you'll find it opens up the music on a whole new level when compared with the 650s. The midrange is to die for, 650 sounds 'grainy' in comparison. Plus I only find the XC treble is hot on certain recordings.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #2,720 of 4,151
might try it out.

The LCD-XC is a great compliment to the HD650.  The treble comment is accurate, but it's comparative.  On it's own, I wouldn't say the XC treble is harsh or overly bright, just if you're coming from a more mellow headphone like the 650 you may find it a bit bright initially.  

Are you specifically looking for a closed back headphone or are you just interested in the XC due to its known qualities?

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #2,721 of 4,151

The LCD-XC is a great compliment to the HD650.  The treble comment is accurate, but it's comparative.  On it's own, I wouldn't say the XC treble is harsh or overly bright, just if you're coming from a more mellow headphone like the 650 you may find it a bit bright initially.  

Are you specifically looking for a closed back headphone or are you just interested in the XC due to its known qualities?

thanks..the gent who's selling it has both the x and xc...says x is smoother.

i already have some closed cans: the sony mdr 7520 studio cans

i'm just open to a different sounding set of cans...love details, balance, air, good bass, mids.
you know all those ideals we seek in a good pair of cans without having to go for 2nd mortgage
or match it up with a $$$$ amp dac (that said i am considering the hugo 2 when released)

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #2,722 of 4,151
  thanks..the gent who's selling it has both the x and xc...says x is smoother.

i already have some closed cans: the sony mdr 7520 studio cans

i'm just open to a different sounding set of cans...love details, balance, air, good bass, mids.
you know all those ideals we seek in a good pair of cans without having to go for 2nd mortgage
or match it up with a $$$$ amp dac (that said i am considering the hugo 2 when released)

Probably the best feature of the XC, aside from isolating from outside noise quite well, is the bass.  Hits hard and deep without being boomy.  Other than that, the X is probably the better sounding of the two.

BTW, love your profile pic.  Rush is one of my favorite bands.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #2,723 of 4,151

Probably the best feature of the XC, aside from isolating from outside noise quite well, is the bass.  Hits hard and deep without being boomy.  Other than that, the X is probably the better sounding of the two.

BTW, love your profile pic.  Rush is one of my favorite bands.

ok, you asked for it, then 
wink.gif

enjoy with the audeze...one of my fav tunes
Far Cry,  from the Snakes and Arrows tour.

always open to converting more Rush fans, lol ...and/or 
giving current ones their 'hit'

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #2,724 of 4,151
Feb 5, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #2,725 of 4,151
Has anyone tried the LCD-XC with the Sony WM1A? I'm wondering whether a pair of these with an aftermarket 4ft balanced 4.4mm cable would give the best portable sound?

I've got the LCD-3 (which I love the sound of with my Leben amp) but in the past I've found the HD650 uninteresting, the Grado GS1000 fatiguing, the HD800 impressive but too bright and uninvolving and the Stax 007 impressive but not much fun. Do you think the XC would suit me?

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #2,726 of 4,151
might try it out.

Hey Friend- I hope you have been doing great. ~ I recently acquired the XC's and have really enjoyed them.  I think you will find that they sound wonderful through most source/amp combos!  It is just a wonderful headphone.  If interested in closed-back, I would also explore Fostex.  I was truly impressed with the TH-X00...Also packs a punch.  Look forward to hearing what you decide to do:)

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #2,727 of 4,151

Hey Friend- I hope you have been doing great. ~ I recently acquired the XC's and have really enjoyed them.  I think you will find that they sound wonderful through most source/amp combos!  It is just a wonderful headphone.  If interested in closed-back, I would also explore Fostex.  I was truly impressed with the TH-X00...Also packs a punch.  Look forward to hearing what you decide to do:)

thanks for the warm reply.
so many options...also considering the lcd x ($1100 used) and even new sony z1r
just read the vegan earpads are nicer to use...trying to find out how much and where.

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #2,729 of 4,151
Hi! The LCD-XC are fantastic cans. I had the opportunity to spend quite a lot of time comparing various cans ( about 6) and amplifiers (x5) options. As I need to have closed cans for domestic reasons :kissing:, at the end of the day, I kept two options: Audeze LCD-XC and Foster THX900.

Two good cans, but very different. The Audeze is probably more difficult to drive (planar technology ?), and because of that, the Foster may seems more pleasant with simple, entry level, amplifiers. But when you switch to better/stronger amplifier, better suited to drive the planars, the audeze clearly makes the difference.

At the end of day, I bought the Audeze with a fantastic amplifier, the Rudistor RP8K-VT hybrid (tube pre-amp section) amplifier. Not only it is extraordinarily built, but the sound is just amazing.
I have been with the pair for about a month, and VERY pleased with the result, completely rediscovering my records.

For info, I had previously ULTRASONE EDITION 8.

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #2,730 of 4,151
I hope to write a more detailed comment later, but I would like to register for 'the camp' of those that, firstly, prefer XC over any other LCDs, and secondly, those that call XC 'the Audeze' for the ones who don't prefer Audezes due to their dark sound signature.

As a HD800 enthusiast for many years, I would like to share my notes on XCs:

Having listened to the XC side-by-side against LCD-X many times, I clearly prefer this closed version even though I often admit that LCD-X has a more coherent overall sound. XC's highs are really melting -- 'hot as hell', since its highs shine above 10kHz and not on the upper midrange (for example, HD800 does the opposite). The incoherence is that, the highs are hot whereas the rest of the frequency range does not always  realistically fit alongside these melting highs. In my opinion, this is because the highs are ultra-transparent, when the rest of the sound is quite thick and physical.

Even though it seems like a negative point, I think it accidentally brings XC a very special advantage, which I think makes it the most enjoyable phone I have ever come across:

- the soundstage is very well-focused due to its closed nature, yet never narrow thanks to the sense of wide extension emanating from the easy-going highs,

- the highs are amazingly detailed and crispy, and yet never piercing as T1 and sometimes HD800 have been. This is due to the overall thickness and liveliness of the sound in XC (i.e. a little midbass hump and the meaty planar sound of Audezes),

- in my opinion, the mids are the best (I feel LCD-X to be a little veiled and HD800s to be a little recessed).

Overall, this guy really pulls me into the music with its not-necessarily-coherent sound signature. When I want a coherent sound to analyze a music, I go to my clinical option, which is HD800. When I want to listen to music, and sadistically enjoy it, I prefer XC. For me, LCD-X could not find any room between the two. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back