AUDEZE LCD XC
Mar 7, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #2,387 of 4,151

FWIW, I'm now starting to let my eye wander toward the MrSpeakers ETHER C as yet another upgrade option.  One disadvantage is, I won't be able to use my ridiculously overpriced Cardas Audio Clear balanced LCD headphone cable on the ETHER C.  Hmmm ...

ETHER C is very good. I have both ETHER C and LCD-XC.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Gorgeous.  I'm jealous!

Can I ask which you prefer?  Or does it depend on source material and/or mood?

- Dave

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #2,388 of 4,151
Thanks for the advice, Thomas.  Unfortunately, at the Head-Fi Meetup, I didn't have a chance to compare the LCD-XC to the LCD-X or LCD-3, for example.  It was just eye-opening (ear-opening?) to hear what felt like a whole extra octave above and below my LCD-2F's.  And I love my LCD-2Fs, so being that impressed was surprising.

You are correct: These will be at-home cans.  In your opinion, should I consider open orthos like the LCD-X or LCD-3 before the LCD-XC, or wait to receive the Fostex TH-X00's before seeing if I really need to move up the Audeze LCD ladder?

- Dave

Not to nay say Dave, but those Fostex th-x00 are not in he same league as any Audeze headphone, let alone the LCD line! Tubby bass and the rest of the spectrum quite boring IMO. If you want close to LCD sound, the only headphone that I've heard that is in line with that signature sound are the ZMF Omnis at 900.00. The Fostex th-x900 are a fine headphone though,but nothing like an LCD. Just different.

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #2,389 of 4,151

In your opinion, should I consider open orthos like the LCD-X or LCD-3 before the LCD-XC, or wait to receive the Fostex TH-X00's before seeing if I really need to move up the Audeze LCD ladder?

Not to nay say Dave, but those Fostex are not in he same league as any Audeze headphone, let alone the LCD line! Tubby bass and the rest of the spectrum quite boring IMO. If you want close to LCD sound, the only headphone that I've heard that is in line with that signature sound are the ZMF Omnis at 900.00.

No worries.  I appreciate all opinions and suggestions.  My instinct was that the $400 TH-X00's couldn't quite be at the same level as $1800 LCD-XCs.

I've never owned more than one set of high quality headphones.  Now that I've got the LCD-2F's and HD 650's, and TH-X00's on the way, I'm trying to be selective in the next, best choice to add to my burgeoning collection.

- Dave

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #2,390 of 4,151
Gorgeous.  I'm jealous!

Can I ask which you prefer?  Or does it depend on source material and/or mood?

- Dave

From what I posted in the JH Angie thread (of all places, lol!).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765867/jh-audio-angie-impressions-and-discussion-thread/1905#post_12397923

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765867/jh-audio-angie-impressions-and-discussion-thread/1905#post_12398033

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #2,391 of 4,151
ETHER C has recently surpassed the XC for me, and it's cheaper and lighter. Dan Clark has released a 1.1 version and it sounds better than the 1.0 version. Highly recommended as a full sized closed back to compliment the Angie, at least for my tastes.

I bought the LCD-XC unheard based on reading Head-Fi and searching reviews without having heard anything else similar. After all that I found out about a CanJam and went. After I heard the Ether C. I wished I had considered the Ether C (lighter and sounds good). Dan had a WA5 to demo, and I have a WA5... Anyways if I were shopping for a $1k+ headphone right now I'd definitely put them in the running. I don't have the luxury of sitting at home with both to compare. I like the LCD-XC enough I don't regret it. The weight is a real issue. I tolerate it. I felt at CanJam after I heard Ether-C that they were on the same level as the LCD-XC with all the benefits of being lighter and more comfortable.

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #2,392 of 4,151
Make no mistake, I also like the XC. :)

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #2,393 of 4,151

I bought the LCD-XC unheard based on reading Head-Fi and searching reviews without having heard anything else similar. After all that I found out about a CanJam and went. After I heard the Ether C. I wished I had considered the Ether C (lighter and sounds good). Dan had a WA5 to demo, and I have a WA5... Anyways if I were shopping for a $1k+ headphone right now I'd definitely put them in the running. I don't have the luxury of sitting at home with both to compare. I like the LCD-XC enough I don't regret it.

I compared both at a recent meet. I felt the Ether C had a more even midrange than the XC, but the XC was definitely stronger in the bass. Trading one for the other is probably more of a sideways move.

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #2,394 of 4,151
  Hello all.

Big Audeze fan, but a relative n00b when it comes to high[er] end cans.  My inventory currently consists of a pair of HD 650s and the current love of my life, the LCD-2 Fazors.

According to my boss, I'm about to get a small bonus in the next week or two, so I want to spend it before the $$$ gets stale.  I've been coveting the LCD-XCs ever since the recent Head-Fi Meetup in NH.  I now have my mouse hovering on the [BUY NOW] button, but have two questions that I'm sure have been asked 100 times:

• Are the LCD-XCs enough of an upgrade past my LCD-2Fs to warrant the $1,799 price?
  • Once I have the LCD-XCs hanging on my headphone hanger, will I ever listen to the LCD-2s (or HD 650s) again?

Thanks for any insight, feedback, or ridicule you can spare.  I'll probably only be able to pull the trigger on a >$1000 set of cans once in a very long time, so I want to make the right move.

- Dave

Hello,

Not sure whether you pulled the trigger yet, but there is a store in Nashua that carries the Audeze line.  Name of the place is Audio Video Therapy on Daniel Webster.

If you've never been, it is well worth the visit.  You'll be able to compare the LCD-2F with an X, XC, and a 3F.

By the way, I bought my XCs at their store.  Gotta love tax-free NH!!

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #2,395 of 4,151
Hello,

Not sure whether you pulled the trigger yet, but there is a store in Nashua that carries the Audeze line.  Name of the place is Audio Video Therapy on Daniel Webster.

If you've never been, it is well worth the visit.  You'll be able to compare the LCD-2F with an X, XC, and a 3F.

By the way, I bought my XCs at their store.  Gotta love tax-free NH!!

Thanks man!  I had no idea we had any Audeze dealers way up here in the sticks.  I'll definitely have to look them up and plan a visit some time soon.  Up to this point, I only knew of Fidelis Home Audio and Ensemble Music Systems.  Actually, from their FB page, it looks like Ensemble became AV Therapy?  Who know?

Thanks again.

- Dave

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2,396 of 4,151
Glad I can help Dave.

AV Therapy is a rare gem that is very uncommon today.  I accidentally stumbled upon it while Xmas shopping in the area.  I must've been like a kid in a candy store.

If you have other phones, bring it along for comparison.  They carry Bryston, and should have the BHA-1 in the HP room to drive their Audeze line.  Do let us know how you made out.

Good Luck.

Adam

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #2,397 of 4,151
I was able to compare the Ether-C and LCD-XC for a week or so and I actually came out preferring the XC. Something about the C sounded a bit hollow/thin to me (maybe I'm just a bass-head and the XC's bass won me over).

Having said that, I think the left driver just died on my XC (I have zero sound from it after trying multiple sources/cables). Off to Audeze they go... :frowning2:

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #2,398 of 4,151
  I was able to compare the Ether-C and LCD-XC for a week or so and I actually came out preferring the XC. Something about the C sounded a bit hollow/thin to me (maybe I'm just a bass-head and the XC's bass won me over).

Having said that, I think the left driver just died on my XC (I have zero sound from it after trying multiple sources/cables). Off to Audeze they go... :frowning2:

I switch between the two at work. They are equally good, with different strengths; the XC is more dynamic and flamboyant, the ETHER-C very fast and controlled. As for the failure, this happens much more rarely with the X than the 3 series.

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #2,399 of 4,151

How long have you had your LCD-XC's? LCD are great headphones but I am a littler nervous they may not have a long life. If I had read the thread about all the failures on the LCD-3 before I bought the XC I would have avoided Audeze TBH. I hope for the best now but these stories about driver failures seem all too common. I do agree seems to be fewer in the X series but still I was hoping by paying a premium I got something that could go for 20+ years potentially.

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #2,400 of 4,151

How long have you had your LCD-XC's? LCD are great headphones but I am a littler nervous they may not have a long life. If I had read the thread about all the failures on the LCD-3 before I bought the XC I would have avoided Audeze TBH. I hope for the best now but these stories about driver failures seem all too common. I do agree seems to be fewer in the X series but still I was hoping by paying a premium I got something that could go for 20+ years potentially.

They're almost 2 years old. They haven't been used much so it almost seems like they just deteriorate on their own? Not sure.

Yeah I'm not sure why Audeze has so many failures compared to other brands. I'm not sure if it's a design flaw or what (since most of their headphones are basically the same design with a few small tweaks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back