AUDEZE LCD XC
Apr 24, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #2,416 of 4,127
I recently bought a PrimaLuna Premium Dialogue HP tube integrated amp, and man does it make the XCs sing! The headphone out uses the full 75 watts of tube power (8 EL34s), so I just barely have to turn it on!

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #2,417 of 4,127
They make great tube amps over at PrimaLuna. Used to own a Dialoque II, unfortunately without a headphone output. So I never tried to use it on the XC's, but I can imagine that it sounds great.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #2,418 of 4,127
This has probably been discussed before, but when my XCs are plugged into my amp and I have no sound playing, I can hear a buzz when I touch the metal between the wood and the earpads.

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #2,419 of 4,127
  I recently bought a PrimaLuna Premium Dialogue HP tube integrated amp, and man does it make the XCs sing! The headphone out uses the full 75 watts of tube power (8 EL34s), so I just barely have to turn it on!

That is one gorgeous amp there. I don't have any envy when it comes time to replace the tubes though =) Congrats!

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #2,420 of 4,127

That is one gorgeous amp there. I don't have any envy when it comes time to replace the tubes though =) Congrats!

Yeah, truly a beautiful amp. Just a tad overkill for headphones though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #2,421 of 4,127
  Yeah, truly a beautiful amp. Just a tad overkill for headphones though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh sure, and I'd never buy it just for headphones! Having a headphone output was just the icing on the cake. I had a Woo Audio WA6 before since my previous Pass Labs INT 150 didn't have a headphone out, nor does my Esoteric CD/SACD player.

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #2,422 of 4,127

Thank you. No kidding! Fortunately, the large number of tubes means each one is not driven hard, so they should last a long time.

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #2,423 of 4,127
Any impression with the XC 2016 confirmed new revision ?
Better than Ether-C ?

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #2,424 of 4,127
Better than Ether-C ?

Don't know about 2016 lcdxc, but my 2015 lcdxc is such a different approach to producing music from the ether c I had as to basically not be comparable. Totally different sounds.

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #2,426 of 4,127
Better than Ether-C ?

My LCD-XC had the left driver fail. Audeze was pretty quick to turn it around and they confirmed that it now has the 2016 drivers in it.

Old Drivers

New Drivers

Can't say much impression-wise yet. The old drivers were well broken-in and most of my time spent with the old drivers was with EQ (which I haven't altered for the new drivers yet). If I had to say anything I'd say the bass sounds different somehow. I don't know if it's because the drivers are stiffer (either due to the redesign or lack of break-in) or because there's less treble according to the graph.

Having said that, I just bought the carbon headband from Adorama and the strap easily touches the carbon all the way across. I thought Audeze recalled all of these? Isn't Adorama an official vendor?

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #2,427 of 4,127

Having said that, I just bought the carbon headband from Adorama and the strap easily touches the carbon all the way across. I thought Audeze recalled all of these? Isn't Adorama an official vendor?

Save a few hundred and buy the AKG headbands from Full Compass (item 2058Z0902), as discussed a few pages ago they work brilliantly as suspension straps under your existing Audeze headband.

May 18, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #2,428 of 4,127

If I had to say anything I'd say the bass sounds different somehow. I don't know if it's because the drivers are stiffer (either due to the redesign or lack of break-in) or because there's less treble according to the graph.

I just got my XC's back from Audeze for a driver replacement. Now that I've had a chance to go through the music that I usually listen to, I've noticed two things. First, the midrange is slightly smoother and less biased towards the upper end of the spectrum. It still has a detailed sound that makes it perfect for folks who are looking for a more vibrant, sunnier kind of presentation. Second, I feel that Audeze tuned the bass response to favor agility and quickness over weight. I have the distinct impression that the pre-2016 bass response had some extra oomph in the bottom octaves that now is slightly reined in and tighter. It's kinda like the difference between setting up your speakers closer to the rear wall or farther into the room.

Of course, this is all running off of auditory memory which is notoriously fickle. Hopefully there'll be a direct A/B soon.

May 19, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #2,429 of 4,127
Anyone using the MOJO with XC for a bit of time now, synergy good or not ?

I'm reading more TOTL cans being powered by it anyway, but not at optimum level sound. With the new revision, I want XC as my end-game can, but not sure if I'll get away with a MOJO with it or not.
Nowhere to test where I am unfortunately.

May 19, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #2,430 of 4,127
Anyone using the MOJO with XC for a bit of time now, synergy good or not ?

I'm reading more TOTL cans being powered by it anyway, but not at optimum level sound. With the new revision, I want XC as my end-game can, but not sure if I'll get away with a MOJO with it or not.
Nowhere to test where I am unfortunately.

You inspired me to listen to the XC with the Mojo again since I've done my Mojo review. It's been a while because shortly after the Mojo I recieved the ETHER C which have been my main closed headphone since. I like what I hear and I find the synergy better than I initially reported in my review. I may go back and edit it.

First of all the Mojo easily drives the XC. Honestly, 5Vrms and 6V max... What else do you need for the efficient XC? The drivers have plenty of control and I'm using maybe 1/3 of the total volume to drive to my regular listening levels. Turn it up and the sound is a thumpin' good time. So many people will dismiss the Mojo because of its size and yet it has the exact same output power and drive as the Hugo. Also, for reference, I have the Cavalli Liquid Crimson here and in comparison the Mojo is not lacking in drive ability for the XC. Actually, the Liquid Crimson has very little play in the volume with the XC before it`s simply too loud. When volume matched with the XC the Crimson is slightly warmer than the Mojo, slightly more bass bloom... that`s really it. The Mojo is tighter and faster with the XC

Summary: I like the XC / Mojo pair a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back