AUDEZE LCD XC
Dec 2, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #2,221 of 4,144
I believe I'm not the only one experiencing this but the XC does not seem have the brightness problem when connected directly to a DAP without amplification. Seems true for my Hifiman HM-650 as well as for A&K DAP which a fellow forummer here uses. My HM-650 has a rolled-off treble and my Cayin C5 amp is known for adding warmth but even these doesn't help balance out the brightness. But I remember auditioning a XC demo unit with my gear at the shop and they weren't bright but rather thick and bassy. It's either they need further burn-in or the FR variation between XC units are rather inconsistent. I even joked with my shopman buddy if I can exchange my XC with his shop's demo unit since I don't seem to be getting the same sound!

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #2,222 of 4,144
Just my opinion and I do not use the A&K, rather a HiFI M8 or iFi micro and a Fiio X5 or a Surface 2.  I have had mine for about 6 months and upgraged to Ted's silver litz.  I thought mine had good bass from the beginning and the highs have tamed over time (you want highs - listen to some STAX SR-404's)  Just use them and they will burn in.  Also, with my new amp/DAC the ability to recreate multiple sounds at the same time is really intensified, almost microscopic.  (Take home message: the best is yet to come!)  PETER

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #2,223 of 4,144
Great to hear that! Thanks for sharing. The bass was never an issue from the start, just glad to hear that the highs get tamed over time! My XC just passed the 2 weeks mark and they are the cleanest sounding pair of headphones I've ever owned, their bass, clarity and transparency are superb. The only issue is the edginess (and I would have also preferred if the mids take a little step backwards) but I'm really glad to hear from you that they eventually smoothen out and that the best is yet to come!

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #2,226 of 4,144
Finally, the time is come. The LCD-XC left unit suddenly no sound yesterday.

I am curious as to whether this is a manufacturing defect (unlikely to reoccur) or a design defect (like LCD3). So can you please tell me:

How long have you owned your XCs? How often and where do you use them? What amp do you use? Do you move them around or do they live on a headphone stand? How loud do you play them and what type of music? Are you the only one that plays them? Where do you live? Did you purchase them from a dealer or direct from Audeze?

Sorry for all the questions but I think you're the first one who posted for driver failure.

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #2,227 of 4,144

I am curious as to whether this is a manufacturing defect (unlikely to reoccur) or a design defect (like LCD3). So can you please tell me:

How long have you owned your XCs? How often and where do you use them? What amp do you use? Do you move them around or do they live on a headphone stand? How loud do you play them and what type of music? Are you the only one that plays them? Where do you live? Did you purchase them from a dealer or direct from Audeze?

Sorry for all the questions but I think you're the first one who posted for driver failure.

I'm unsure how these questions add any useful data if this is the first pair to fail on this forum.

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #2,228 of 4,144
For those experiencing brightness (edginess) try adjusting the XC's position on your head. I found they sounded denser with less treble bite when I happened to listen to music while lying in bed on my back, and noted it's position on my head as a reference. Whether it's an effect of burn-in or brain-burn-in, I'm hearing less of the brightness of female vocals as they sounded more prestine than edgy now. I also noted that instances of edginess only occurs when female vocalists sang high pitched into the microphone at crescendos of a given song. Out of curiosity I tried listening with my DAP, amp & XC in "cold" mode i.e. no overnight burning-in nor prior warmup (Which I usually do) and they sounded pretty bold and confident right off the bat. Initial impressions of its bright nature is now interpreted as having great clarity and sparkling detail as it no longer has that grating effect. The fact that female vocals sounded "squawky" only with specific female vocalists or recordings is also a sign that it's the exception rather than the norm. Now I wonder how odd it would sound if it had its treble shelved off like it's other siblings.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2,229 of 4,144
I bought a pair of Audeze LCD-CX phones today--wow! They are amazingly detailed and rich sounding, and the closed back design provides great isolation. Overall, I prefer them to my Sennheiser HD 800s--they have more meat on their bones!

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #2,230 of 4,144
  I bought a pair of Audeze LCD-CX phones today--wow! They are amazingly detailed and rich sounding, and the closed back design provides great isolation. Overall, I prefer them to my Sennheiser HD 800s--they have more meat on their bones!

How do you find the XC's highs compared to the HD800's? (I've read that the HD800s are "over-analytical"). I guess this is very dependent on the chain components i.e. DAP & amp used as well so I would like to know what you are using to drive them. The XCs definitely have a full-bodied sound as you've mentioned but the highs (or specifically the upper mids/lower treble) needs to be tamed over time.

I am contemplating getting the Audeze Deckard, I was wondering if it would make a big difference coming from a portable amp like the Cayin C5? Has anyone any experience with this amp? or just going from a portable to a desktop amp?

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #2,231 of 4,144
Hi! 

Just sourced a pair of pre owned but hardly used LCD XC´s. So far Im very happy with them! I only have an old DAC though and the sound is no where near as nice as it was in the store when I listened to them with Audeze´s own amp. So Im looking to upgrade, but Im not sure what to choose, I know there have been quite a few suggestions in this thread but its so long! If someone could summarize a few good suggestions for me I'd be very grateful! Keep in mind that electronics are significantly more expenisve in Sweden though and my budget is not unlimited.. Sadly!

Thanks! 

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #2,232 of 4,144

How do you find the XC's highs compared to the HD800's? (I've read that the HD800s are "over-analytical"). I guess this is very dependent on the chain components i.e. DAP & amp used as well so I would like to know what you are using to drive them. The XCs definitely have a full-bodied sound as you've mentioned but the highs (or specifically the upper mids/lower treble) needs to be tamed over time.

I am contemplating getting the Audeze Deckard, I was wondering if it would make a big difference coming from a portable amp like the Cayin C5? Has anyone any experience with this amp? or just going from a portable to a desktop amp?

They are much sweeter yet clear and not as etched. My head gear is listed in my signature.

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #2,234 of 4,144
I'm unsure how these questions add any useful data if this is the first pair to fail on this forum.

Actually, I just had to warranty my XC due to one driver randomly failing me two months ago. Just woke up and the left piece had no sound.

Warranty process was fast at Bay Bloor Radio though. They got two new drivers and replaced them for me in a few days.

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #2,235 of 4,144
I have been united with my XC finally. Coming from the Senn HD650, I can safely say that the XC was MONEY EXTREMELY WELL SPENT. I am so happy. Listening to all my music with a new found appreciation for it. Everything is just so clear... spacious... and beautifully rendered. Thank you head-fi!!! I'll take photos once I receive my Q-Cable.
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back