AUDEZE LCD XC
Mar 11, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #1,006 of 4,151
I'm selling my desktop headphones and amp and planning on picking up the XC's and planning on warming them up a bit by pairing them with a Lyr.
While it's very exciting to be making a new purchase and moving up to planar magnetics, I feel that I am betraying my mates on team Audio Technica.

I've read a lot on the X's with a Lyr but the X's have a higher impedance. The XC's impedance is comparatively lower.

Particularly if there is any buzzing due to the power of the Lyr paired with the lower impedance of the XC?

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #1,008 of 4,151
I use the XC with the Lyr sometimes. Nothing to write home about but no buzzing.

Also no issues with my Asgard (other than I don't think it is a good match for any of the Audezes but that is my preference).
I would like to try the Mjolnir some day.

Mar 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #1,009 of 4,151
I use the XC with the Lyr sometimes. Nothing to write home about but no buzzing.

Lyr is the noisiest tube amp I have, by a country mile.  I truly despise it.  I truly have no clue what people find so great about the Lyr.  I've tried Mullard, Telefunken, Amperex tubes...you name it, I've tried it.  Always noisy and buzzy.  Oy Vey!!!

Mar 11, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #1,010 of 4,151
While it's very exciting to be making a new purchase and moving up to planar magnetics, I feel that I am betraying my mates on team Audio Technica.

Team Audeze has better uniforms :)

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,012 of 4,151
  I got one on its way

My Purple Hearts are arriving on Monday. Can't wait to try them on my Luxman tube amp as well as my AK240 ...

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #1,013 of 4,151

Oh dear...I did a three way shoot out yesterday between my xc, and two portable on the go alternative...the nad hp50 and beyerdynamic T5p....as I've said before, my favourite headphone ever is the audeze LCD 3, but I need closed back....in my search in general and my test yesterday I discovered something shocking....I think I prefer the sound character (notice I didn't say quality) of the NAD over the t5p, which may not be that surprising as the NAD is warmer, to the beyers leaner brighter character....but oh dear....I also preferred it to my xc! The xc was closer to the leaner brighter sound of the t5p than the hp50 our lcd3. This is character only, not resolution or ultimate realism....which is important, but not as much as the character you prefer. So in summary...the NAD hp50 is like a mini lcd3 (ish) and my xc will be traded for something else :frowning2: the fostex th900 seems to be my last chance of closed back high end....

Interesting, I'm tossing up getting an LCD XC to for its closed back ability or LCD 3. Before you let go of the XC, why not try a darker sounding headphone cable? I have a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable with my LCD X and it sounds darker, solid with more emphasis on the mids and bass.

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #1,014 of 4,151
  Interesting, I'm tossing up getting an LCD XC to for its closed back ability or LCD 3. Before you let go of the XC, why not try a darker sounding headphone cable? I have a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable with my LCD X and it sounds darker, solid with more emphasis on the mids and bass.

+1...I also have the XCs with the Black Dragon cable and it does sound amazing.  Even though the upper mids/lower highs are still prominent, the XCs are indeed darker with this cable.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #1,015 of 4,151
  +1...I also have the XCs with the Black Dragon cable and it does sound amazing.  Even though the upper mids/lower highs are still prominent, the XCs are indeed darker with this cable.

I'm awaiting the arrival of my XCs on Monday, but I'm wondering if they will work with my AK240. The 240 with about 80 hours on it has a bit of upper mid prominence and I'm concerned the XCs will exasperate this situation ... not to my liking at all.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #1,016 of 4,151

I'm awaiting the arrival of my XCs on Monday, but I'm wondering if they will work with my AK240. The 240 with about 80 hours on it has a bit of upper mid prominence and I'm concerned the XCs will exasperate this situation ... not to my liking at all.

I would say that is a legitimate concern. Audeze recommends 1-4W and your AK240 only has .24W into 22 ohms (balanced)
If you want the Audeze' to perform at their best, you may want to consider a stack.

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #1,018 of 4,151
I would say that is a legitimate concern. Audeze recommends 1-4W and your AK240 only has .24W into 22 ohms (balanced)
If you want the Audeze' to perform at their best, you may want to consider a stack.

Guys I hear you on the cable....and if they'd only needed a tweak to my preference then that would have been fine...but I think it was more fundamental than that...even with the powerful C4 or through Teac dac&...so I've gone for fostex th900 and ironically just tweaked the mids up and voila! They are amazing...maybe even lcd3 amazing.... I recommend a listen...especially with any astell and Kern.

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #1,020 of 4,151

I'm glad you said this...it triggered in me the realization that I had no idea what my Meier Classic was dumping into my Audezes. I know that I was blown away by how great the Classic sounded with the LCD-2s, and now the LCD-X, but Jan's site doesn't seem to have the output ratings at various impedance levels. So I sent him an email this morning and he told me that the Classic is putting out just under 2wpc into the 60ohm LCD-2s, and a little over 4wpc into the Xs. Now I know a little more about why Jan's amps make the Audezes sing like they do...I had no idea the Classic was this much of a powerhouse! 

So thanks for mentioning this...helped me learn a little more about an amp I've owned for the last 9 months! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back