Audeze LCD-X
Jun 27, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #8,071 of 12,748
Hi guys,
Wanna ask for audeze pads;
Which is better in term durability and comfort?
The vegan pads or the leather pads or the microsuede pads?

Any mods for the LCD x pads

Thanks,
Jonathan

I like the leather pads. The Vegan pads created sweat. Then smelled after a while. It was fairly gross.
Switched to leather and the issue went away. Easy to keep clean as well. Just wipe them. Vegan was impossible to clean.

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #8,072 of 12,748
No
I like the leather pads. The Vegan pads created sweat. Then smelled after a while. It was fairly gross.
Switched to leather and the issue went away. Easy to keep clean as well. Just wipe them. Vegan was impossible to clean.

Noted..means purchasing the vegan pad is the final choice for me right..??

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #8,074 of 12,748
X owners I'm having a hard time deciding between the lcdx, the lcd4, th900, HD800s and many others. My favorite sound signature is mid focused with accentuated bass. As long as the mids are clear and engaging and lush then I'd be very happy. I also considered the old akg k1000. Don't really have a budget but under 2k is much preferred. Posted here because I'm leaning toward the X.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #8,075 of 12,748
X owners I'm having a hard time deciding between the lcdx, the lcd4, th900, HD800s and many others. My favorite sound signature is mid focused with accentuated bass. As long as the mids are clear and engaging and lush then I'd be very happy. I also considered the old akg k1000. Don't really have a budget but under 2k is much preferred. Posted here because I'm leaning toward the X.

For this, .my best bet would probably the hifiman edition X which have the most addictive and lush and caramel sweet with liquid fluidity of the female vocal reproduction.

The LCD x have the best bass i have ever heard up to now..it have enough dynamic with punchy and tight and great controlled over the bass.. bass supply is supple..

My humble opinion;
Jonathan

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #8,076 of 12,748

I am also leaning toward LCD-X but the term dark sounding concerns me. I also like female vocal and  more neutral headphone. I may have to audition both Hifiman Edition X and LCD-X side by side and keep the one I like.
You can read the post by other forum member that already audition both Hifiman X and LCD-X, it will help you decide.

Dargo

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #8,077 of 12,748

I am also leaning toward LCD-X but the term dark sounding concerns me. I also like female vocal and  more neutral headphone. I may have to audition both Hifiman Edition X and LCD-X side by side and keep the one I like.
You can read the post by other forum member that already audition both Hifiman X and LCD-X, it will help you decide.

Dargo

I don't consider the LCD-X to be dark.  Of all the Audeze phones it is the most neutral.  If female vocals is the most important factor in deciding on a new headphone the Edition X is the best I have heard.  the LCD-X is not bad with female vocals.  It is only with female voices in the upper register that I felt it lost some control.  In all other ways The LCD-X is superior to the Edition X.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #8,078 of 12,748

LCD-X isn't particularly mid centric.  If anything, it's been accused of being scooped in the mids.  I don't agree - I find it pretty neutral.  LCD-3 is more mid-centric and the 2016 version was reported to have more bass.  The LCD-4 100 ohm would probably be your ideal can.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #8,080 of 12,748
  Just thought I'd let anyone reading this thread trying to decide if they should buy the LCD-X or not that I am selling my LCD-X.. Should be able to find the post through my profile.

It wasn't all that long ago that you were all excited about the X.  Why are you parting with it if you don't mind me asking?

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #8,081 of 12,748
It has a lot to due with the fact that I just couldn't convince myself having $2,500 (LCD-X + HA-1)of audio equipment for headphones is worth it.

The journey getting to this point was great, and the headphones do sound amazing, but I'm just not comfortable forking out that amount of money. I got my "feet wet" in this hobby just to see what high end headphones were like, and now I'm backing out

Jun 29, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #8,082 of 12,748
I'm curious what you mean by "worth it?" Not calling you out on anything, but just intrigued by your position because, as the user above stated, you were really excited about getting an LCD-X. 

In theory, your LCD-X and Oppo HA-1 set-up is an end game. You don't have to go higher because of even more severe diminishing returns. The HA-1 is a wonderful unit that has tons of features. The LCD-X is a headphone that can handle multiple genres really well -- and it's a fun and lively headphone overall. So, if you knew about the diminishing returns (~$300), why bother doing all this research and looking up good pairings if you couldn't justify the expense? I mean, you could have gone to an audio store or a headphone meet to see what the hype was all about.

I personally believe that audio hasn't substantially changed throughout the years and it's a relatively stable hobby (to the extent that one doesn't get caught up in the hype). Also having a good audio system allows you to enjoy music, movies, television, video games, etc. - and if you engage in these activities regularly, in the end, it becomes "worth it."

Then again, the journey is part of the fun. I think it makes more sense to do incremental upgrades rather than jump right into the big leagues because otherwise you don't experience different sound signatures and flavors. However, looking back, I would have done things differently if I had the knowledge that I do now.

But if you get the same enjoyment out of a Philips Fidelio X2 as you do a LCD-X, or you find that a $100 set-up is a personal end game, more power to you. :)

If I wasn't a collector/crazy hobbyist, I can see myself parting with a majority of my headphones, but I'd never give up the LCD-X. It's my favorite headphone (tied with the HE-6) and it is one of the best headphones out there for metal! So... sucks to see you parting with your LCD-X.  

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #8,083 of 12,748
That is good information regarding the comparison between Hifiman X and LCD-X. I listen to light or smooth Jazz, Choral music, acoustic jazz and some classical music. I do not listen to any rock music especially heavy metal and electronic music.
I hope you used the same genre of music when you did comparison between hifiman and LCD-X.
I also like to listen to female vocal like Diana Krall, Holy Cole and this if LCD-X can't produce it nicely, I will think twice before deciding on LCD-X. I am using Meridian Prime which is a solid state amp not tube amp. Anybody paring LCD-X with Meridian prime?

Dargo.

I'm getting caught up on all the posts in this thread.

Based on the type of music you listen to, I don't think the LCD-X nor the HEX would serve your purposes as well as the Sennheiser HD800S. Female vocals and instruments are absolutely sublime on the 800S. However, if you listen to any music that has non-instrument (not guitar, cello, double bass, etc.) produced bass (think electronic or hip-hop) then the 800S will let you down.

If you don't have that bass constraint with those genres, then you'll be very happy with the 800S or you can get a bargain and go with the HD800, maybe even used.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #8,084 of 12,748
  I'm curious what you mean by "worth it?" Not calling you out on anything, but just intrigued by your position because, as the user above stated, you were really excited about getting an LCD-X. 

In theory, your LCD-X and Oppo HA-1 set-up is an end game. You don't have to go higher because of even more severe diminishing returns. The HA-1 is a wonderful unit that has tons of features. The LCD-X is a headphone that can handle multiple genres really well -- and it's a fun and lively headphone overall. So, if you knew about the diminishing returns (~$300), why bother doing all this research and looking up good pairings if you couldn't justify the expense? I mean, you could have gone to an audio store or a headphone meet to see what the hype was all about.

I personally believe that audio hasn't substantially changed throughout the years and it's a relatively stable hobby (to the extent that one doesn't get caught up in the hype). Also having a good audio system allows you to enjoy music, movies, television, video games, etc. - and if you engage in these activities regularly, in the end, it becomes "worth it."

Then again, the journey is part of the fun. I think it makes more sense to do incremental upgrades rather than jump right into the big leagues because otherwise you don't experience different sound signatures and flavors. However, looking back, I would have done things differently if I had the knowledge that I do now.

But if you get the same enjoyment out of a Philips Fidelio X2 as you do a LCD-X, or you find that a $100 set-up is a personal end game, more power to you. :)

If I wasn't a collector/crazy hobbyist, I can see myself parting with a majority of my headphones, but I'd never give up the LCD-X. It's my favorite headphone (tied with the HE-6) and it is one of the best headphones out there for metal! So... sucks to see you parting with your LCD-X.  

Geez. I would not consider the Oppo HA-1 as endgame. Actually I found it to be a big disappointment. It could be what ruins a lot of headphone rigs. It really isn't that great (a ban will be coming but it needs to be said). I don't know why it gets rave reviews. Maybe it is just Oppo's big boy clout.
I've had it since release and I don't really know why I keep it. It never gets used.
The DAC implementation is awful. Treble spits. I find it unusable. Added Arcam DAC and that helped. Then added Auralic Vega DAC and that was better again. Problem then was the amp itself. It is a lifeless bugger. Probably why Oppo added a spitty sounding DAC. When I heard the amp with a decent DAC I realized how horrid the whole thing is. Violectric V281 absolutely killed the amp section of the Oppo HA-1. It was embarrassing how much better it was. Better soundstage and holographic effect. Even the V200 without balanced output beat the HA-1.
The only thing I like on my HA-1 is the display. It is pretty. Occasionally I turn it on and look at it without anything plugged into it. Just watch the graphic equalizer display.

My tube amp gets all the work. Far better. If you are using the Oppo HA-1 with the LCD-X you are selling the LCD-X very short.

Oppo HA-1 is a million miles from endgame in my opinion and sessions with better equipment.

Jun 30, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #8,085 of 12,748
Badas, I think that's stretching it a bit. Maybe you think it's a crap amp, but I (and many people out there) think it is a solid piece of equipment and, yes, for some people it is an end game system.

You really think the HA-1 can actually ruin headphone systems? That's a strong opinion. I'll agree with you that the DAC is the HA-1's biggest weakness. Yes, the treble is bright and this is why people recommend pairing it with darker sounding headphones. I found the LCD-X and HA-1 to pair nicely. I certainly wouldn't call it an unlistenable set up and I certainly wouldn't say it sells the LCD-X short. The LCD-X doesn't scale that much...

Some people can't hear differences between DACs. Some people would laugh at dropping $3,500 on just a DAC. I'm not running the HA-1 as my main set-up anymore. I'm currently using the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil stack. Some people would think I'm nuts for dropping $2,300 on a DAC.

I posted this in a Reddit thread where someone bought an LCD-X and HA-1 and I'll say it again. I, personally, would not object if someone said I could only use that combination for the rest of my life. Maybe it's because I mostly listen to metal, but I had no complaints. I only moved to the Rag/Yggy because I wanted an HE-6 and I didn't want to worry about equipment anymore.

Obviously this is just my opinion and my own experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back