Audeze LCD-X
May 5, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #6,481 of 12,748

For starters, I'm still using the Source DAC.  Just to be clear about that.

Here's where I'm at right now, and I'm sorry if this drifts a little off-topic:

Upgrading the amp has made a noticeable difference.  Not nearly as potent as the difference in headphones, of course, but noticeable.  The first 10 seconds of listening suggested the difference was there, but subtle.  The next 10 minutes had me thinking the difference was more than subtle, but still somewhat minor, and I was wondering if I'd made a wise purchasing decision: another nearly $3k for this?  ...But after 10 hours, the difference probably didn't increase that much in absolute magnitude terms, but the character of the difference is now much more familiar to me, and it looms larger in my mind than it actually is because my attention dwells there when I listen.  And that difference is something very special.

There's a noticeable uptick in resolution and clarity, and the music has the impression of being more textured -- something that required time to explore, but having explored, is beautiful and deeply satisfying.  If the LCD-X hadn't spoiled me for its glorious sense of presence, I think I'd be regaling the GS-X for another notch in that direction -- more presence or liveliness or some sense like that.

That said, the Source is fantastic, and delivers 80-90% of the impact of the GS-X amp.  I think it's a wonderfully flexible desktop device with very good value, and I'm going to keep it and for most listening at my desktop, I won't miss the GS-X.

...But that last 10-20% is seductive, and when I have time to sit back in my leather chair and close my eyes, that's when it's all worth it.  Drawing from past experience with amps I've spent time with in my own home, the GS-X reminds me most of the Dark Star, except less dark.  :)  What is perhaps most remarkable about the GS-X is how descriptors of its character elude me.  Part of it seems very Source-like -- but then I remembered that I'm listening to the Source's DAC, and if the GS-X is really as transparent as I've read (and as I'm experiencing for myself, finally), then perhaps this makes sense.  You are paying money to remove obfuscation from your audio chain, focusing on the character of the material and the speakers.  (And the DAC, if it's injecting or introducing anything.)

The LCD-X is a beautiful pairing.  My preference is for a sound that's a tick warmer than neutral, clear but not clinical -- and this pairing delivers.  I swear the LCD-X sounds a bit wider and more open with the GS-X than with the Source... like the music has a bit more 3D room to breathe.  It's hard to explain.

The HE-6 with the GS-X is also excellent.  Need to spend some time with the XC, next.

(Yes, I've subsequently moved the Source off the amp section of the GS-X.  *cough*)

Congrats on the purchase!!! Glad to hear you're digging the setup. The LCD-X is definitely on top of my list if I get back into headphones. I was contemplating the GS-X in the past few years, but the wait times are too much for me. Your experience with LCD-X mirrors mine completely when I had LCD-3's out of Luxman integrated amp from speaker taps. I am spent atm with photography gear but I'm on the lookout for what Audeze does.

You might want to consider getting a power supply for the Source to finish it off. Then over time maybe get the Convert-2.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #6,482 of 12,748

Upgrading the amp has made a noticeable difference.  Not nearly as potent as the difference in headphones, of course, but noticeable.  The first 10 seconds of listening suggested the difference was there, but subtle.  The next 10 minutes had me thinking the difference was more than subtle, but still somewhat minor, and I was wondering if I'd made a wise purchasing decision: another nearly $3k for this?  ...But after 10 hours, the difference probably didn't increase that much in absolute magnitude terms, but the character of the difference is now much more familiar to me, and it looms larger in my mind than it actually is because my attention dwells there when I listen.  And that difference is something very special.

There's a noticeable uptick in resolution and clarity, and the music has the impression of being more textured -- something that required time to explore, but having explored, is beautiful and deeply satisfying.  If the LCD-X hadn't spoiled me for its glorious sense of presence, I think I'd be regaling the GS-X for another notch in that direction -- more presence or liveliness or some sense like that.

That said, the Source is fantastic, and delivers 80-90% of the impact of the GS-X amp.  I think it's a wonderfully flexible desktop device with very good value, and I'm going to keep it and for most listening at my desktop, I won't miss the GS-X.

...But that last 10-20% is seductive, and when I have time to sit back in my leather chair and close my eyes, that's when it's all worth it.  Drawing from past experience with amps I've spent time with in my own home, the GS-X reminds me most of the Dark Star, except less dark.  :)  What is perhaps most remarkable about the GS-X is how descriptors of its character elude me.  Part of it seems very Source-like -- but then I remembered that I'm listening to the Source's DAC, and if the GS-X is really as transparent as I've read (and as I'm experiencing for myself, finally), then perhaps this makes sense.  You are paying money to remove obfuscation from your audio chain, focusing on the character of the material and the speakers.  (And the DAC, if it's injecting or introducing anything.)

The LCD-X is a beautiful pairing.  My preference is for a sound that's a tick warmer than neutral, clear but not clinical -- and this pairing delivers.  I swear the LCD-X sounds a bit wider and more open with the GS-X than with the Source... like the music has a bit more 3D room to breathe.  It's hard to explain.

The HE-6 with the GS-X is also excellent.  Need to spend some time with the XC, next.

(Yes, I've subsequently moved the Source off the amp section of the GS-X.  *cough*)

Congrats on the purchase!!! Glad to hear you're digging the setup. The LCD-X is definitely on top of my list if I get back into headphones. I was contemplating the GS-X in the past few years, but the wait times are too much for me. Your experience with LCD-X mirrors mine completely when I had LCD-3's out of Luxman integrated amp from speaker taps. I am spent atm with photography gear but I'm on the lookout for what Audeze does.

You might want to consider getting a power supply for the Source to finish it off. Then over time maybe get the Convert-2.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #6,483 of 12,748

very_evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #6,484 of 12,748
Any of us kind enough to give impressions of the LCD-X with the iPhone 6 or 6+ using the stock Music app with CD quality files? And Tidal CD quality as well if you ever had the opportunity to try? Not looking to use the X with desktop gears.

May 5, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #6,485 of 12,748
Any of us kind enough to give impressions of the LCD-X with the iPhone 6 or 6+ using the stock Music app with CD quality files? And Tidal CD quality as well if you ever had the opportunity to try? Not looking to use the X with desktop gears.

They sound great driven from a 6 (not tried with the 6 plus). I did comparisons with an o2 and macbook pro this weekend. I would choose them amped over an iphone any day, but they certainly sound good. That being said, I wouldn't use the x's as a portable in anyway.

May 5, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #6,486 of 12,748

+1. Also interested in hearing impressions on straight out of iPhone 6+

May 8, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #6,492 of 12,748
  What would are the popular amps used with the X? While I'm saving up for a Liquid Carbon, I'm trying to weigh out my other options.

Ok I've been looking through my options in this thread so I'll answer it myself. I would love some feedback though.

1) Mjolnir
2) Conductor
3) EF-6
4) V281
5) Master-9

What else am I missing?

2) Conductor is really a great match to my LCD-X/XC and many of my other headphones. It's an outstanding all-in-one amp.
And the overall performance is not far from the Auralic Taurus II/Vega (ES9018) combo I tried in a local store. (not so close, though)

I also find the cheaper Mini-i Pro 2015 (ES9016, all-in-one with DAC output) from Matrix quite competent driving my LCD-X/XC. 
Honestly, to me they sound much alike than different, since it's the LCD-X I'm using, the sound signature doesn't vary much...
e.g. with iPhones you get little to no soundstage but the LCD-X still sound pretty good.
I'm unable to describe, but I do find my Conductor better sounding than the cheaper Mini-i Pro in subtle ways - clarity, openness .etc

However, weeks ago I ordered ragnarok/yggdrasil from schiit (big bucks), and now I consider selling my Conductor SL
(ironically my Conductor is the one who convinced me to invest on more expensive gears) 
If anyone's interested, then PM me. 
wink.gif

May 8, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #6,493 of 12,748

How about the Ragg to the Mjolnir?

The Rag is neutral to maybe a touch warm, compared to the forward, lean, and somewhat bright signature of the Mjolnir. The Mjolnir sounded slightly too thin in the mids with my LCD-X and the Rag gives the LCD-X a richer sound, with amazing detail and imaging. Both are good matches for the LCD-X, but the Rag kicks it up a notch. The Rag is oddly transparent--it almost doesn't sound like anything at all. The upper mids and treble clearly predominate in the Mjolnir, while the spectrum of the Rag sounds perfectly flat to me.

May 8, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #6,494 of 12,748

Master 9 is very good, better than the Soloist IMO. Other SS amp options is Ragnarok, Simaudio moon neo 430 and AURALiC Taurus MKII.

May 8, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #6,495 of 12,748

The Rag is neutral to maybe a touch warm, compared to the forward, lean, and somewhat bright signature of the Mjolnir. The Mjolnir sounded slightly too thin in the mids with my LCD-X and the Rag gives the LCD-X a richer sound, with amazing detail and imaging. Both are good matches for the LCD-X, but the Rag kicks it up a notch. The Rag is oddly transparent--it almost doesn't sound like anything at all. The upper mids and treble clearly predominate in the Mjolnir, while the spectrum of the Rag sounds perfectly flat to me.

Thanks for that.  Do you intend on sliding up to the Iggy one day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back