Audeze LCD-MX4
May 26, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #841 of 907
Well speaking of "unit variations," subjective preference variations, and other such human quirks, my own experience of the X and MX4 might appear to be different from what has been just reported here, and maybe even a bit on the startling side for some readers here : for me, it is rather the similarities between the two sound signatures (of the X and MX4) that I found to be unacceptable and even off-putting. I owned the X first, and later went for MX4, which I liked a lot. To my dismay, however, the two sounded way too close on my rigs--so close, in fact, that it was not always easy for me to tell the difference, in loose pseudo blind tests, although I wanted a clear and notable difference between the two, owing to the magnitude of my investment in the MX4. It seemed rather insane to go to that trouble to get a new pair of cans that sounded almost too much like "more of the same."

My solution was to return the MX4 in exchange for the 4, which exhibited the clear difference I was looking for, apart from sounding much more beautiful and pleasing to my ears than the X and MX4... And as they say, the rest is "history." I have not looked back since, although I still own and enjoy the X, which is a pleasure in its own right, and no slouch at all.

Yes, Mileages may vary as usual. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Mileage does indeed vary, as per listener.
For example, if you compare the older LCD "X" to the recent vintage, you'll note that they dont sound alike, at all.

Also, the purpose of a new headphone design, sometimes explains what its trying to do....by being "new".
The MX4, is trying to be a studio monitor.
The LCD- X is trying to be an early game "best audeze affordable TOTL".
The LCD-4, is the Rosson Rad-O made by Audeze. Its an effort to punch the dynamics button all the way down to the infinite , deep into your gray matter.
It succeeds.
TYLL said the LCD4 is "technically impressive" and i say its extremely aggressive, dynamically speaking.
Z reviews said..>"you can listen to the LCD-4, but you can't ever relax, as its a relentless dynamic attack upon your ears".

It'll be interesting to discover what Audeze and Hifiman are going to do now that they have offered the entire bottom to TOTL collection.

LCD-4Z v2.1. ?

Hifiman Susvara v2 mk 1. ?

Maybe they'll do what Focal just did with the Utopia.
Charge $400 more, and give you the Focal Radiance case, and a Balanced Cable and call it their "new upgrade".

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #843 of 907
Am I better off getting the MX4 or Auteur?
I can’t envision a scenario in which a user would prefer an Auteur to an MX4, particularly if you have tone controls (but even if you don’t)

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #847 of 907
How much lighter is the headband of the mx4 versus the LCD 2C as the metal headband on the LCD 2C really bothers me alot
I haven't A/B'd the different headbands, to know if it is noticeable, but the carbon fiber headband is 60g and the spring steel is 69g-70g if I recall.
just bought the MX4 for $1500--I have the Ultrasone EDITION 15 Open back--anyone have that and can compare? and how big of of an upgrade is the MX4 from the LCD 2C?
I got a pair for $1300-$1400 and the going price for the last year has been $1.25k to $1.5k depending on warranty and accessories. I'd say that it's a 10%-30% improvement over the (pre2021) LCD-X which most call a good jump up from the LCD-2 (not sure I've read many comparisons to the LCD-2C).

I got a pair of MX4 a month or so ago, it was built end of Q1 or start of Q2 of 2021 but it has a 25%-30% channel imbalance so I'll have to get it sent off to Audeze for driver replacement (I've been using the RME ADI-2 and the L-R balance has been a life-saver but I want to use it off other gear). I love the dynamics of the MX4 but having read about its development, I'm considering the LCD-XC.

Jul 22, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #848 of 907
Joined the MX4 club thanks to @hawk13. I really appreciate this guy! What I can say about these after my initial listen is dynamics are off the chart good. The MX4’s sound energetic and lively with outstanding bass. The sound is crisp, very detailed and balanced with an attack on sound reminiscent of my Abyss TC’s. The TC’s have the edge in resolution and soundstage, but the MX4’s are a different beast from the other headphones in Audeze’s lineup. Do I hear the blend in sound of the LCD-4’s and LCD-X’s? I do and the MX4’s are keepers

BF6F7AD5-0345-4EED-85E2-AC3813027349.jpeg

Jul 22, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #849 of 907
Joined the MX4 club thanks to @hawk13. I really appreciate this guy! What I can say about these after my initial listen is dynamics are off the chart good. The MX4’s sound energetic and lively with outstanding bass. The sound is crisp, very detailed and balanced with an attack on sound reminiscent of my Abyss TC’s. The TC’s have the edge in resolution and soundstage, but the MX4’s are a different beast from the other headphones in Audeze’s lineup. Do I hear the blend in sound of the LCD-4’s and LCD-X’s? I do and the MX4’s are keepers

BF6F7AD5-0345-4EED-85E2-AC3813027349.jpeg
Is a really great headphone especially if you picked it up during it's annual sale.

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #851 of 907
but is STAX better???
Stax is a completely different sound. For me personally, I am not a fan of the Stax sound. I much prefer the meaty, weightier sound of the Audeze's.

Jul 28, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #853 of 907
Absolutely. I'm of the opinion that the original price of the $1.3-$1.5 LCD-Pro that these started out as (LCD-X diaphragm, boosted magnets, Mg cups) made sense.
Got mine on that weird half-off sale (maybe end of 2018 or 2019?)--not B-stock (but who cares--these are beautifully functional in looks, so a blemish would only add character). I never, ever, EVER wanted to get into headphones, as I can barely afford my IEM habit. I really meant to return these. I was just trying them out for my studio. But I couldn't stop using them for critical listening, particularly after the burn-in (or brain-burn--you pick--something amazing happened). But for the $1500 I paid, these are a STEAL. I wouldn't ever give them up without something similarly amazing. But these are so easy to drive--I got suckered into a Hugo 2, and just wow. I hope I never hear a proper amp in that chain, because I can't afford it. But I want one. Now.

Jul 30, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #854 of 907
Got mine on that weird half-off sale (maybe end of 2018 or 2019?)--not B-stock (but who cares--these are beautifully functional in looks, so a blemish would only add character). I never, ever, EVER wanted to get into headphones, as I can barely afford my IEM habit. I really meant to return these. I was just trying them out for my studio. But I couldn't stop using them for critical listening, particularly after the burn-in (or brain-burn--you pick--something amazing happened). But for the $1500 I paid, these are a STEAL. I wouldn't ever give them up without something similarly amazing. But these are so easy to drive--I got suckered into a Hugo 2, and just wow. I hope I never hear a proper amp in that chain, because I can't afford it. But I want one. Now.
yep got mine during the same sale... pound for price they are pretty hard to beat.

Sep 14, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #855 of 907
Mine are send for repair due to developed imbalance with the right cup being 2-3 dB lower on the right channel lower across the FR. I measured the headphones just to make sure it’s not my perception. Let’s see what @Audeze have to say. Nevertheless, they have been fantastic throughout the process so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back