Audeze LCD-MX4
Dec 23, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #166 of 907
Yes Sonarworks custom calibration, a must for any serious headphone listening imho. I wish Audeze teamed up with Sonarworks and offered that service across their entire LCD series headphones.
Well, Audeze has that reveal thing. Can't get it to work. At least I got what I payed for. Can't risk SW as I definitely won't.

Dec 23, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #167 of 907
Yes Sonarworks custom calibration, a must for any serious headphone listening imho. I wish Audeze teamed up with Sonarworks and offered that service across their entire LCD series headphones.

Why? It sounds awful. I've tried it on three different sets and it always comes across as unnatural and strange sounding. All they do is take a headphone's frequency curve and try and EQ it flat. Tried it with the LCD-X, the HD650, and the HD700, and in all three cases the results were palpably worse.

Dec 23, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #169 of 907
Why? It sounds awful. I've tried it on three different sets and it always comes across as unnatural and strange sounding. All they do is take a headphone's frequency curve and try and EQ it flat. Tried it with the LCD-X, the HD650, and the HD700, and in all three cases the results were palpably worse.

Clearly YMMV as I can't listen to any of my custom calibrated headphones anymore without it.

Dec 23, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #170 of 907
That's why I'd like to try the reveal, see if curves from the makers might be of good effect.

Dec 23, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #171 of 907
That's why I'd like to try the reveal, see if curves from the makers might be of good effect.

Much as I love Audeze, I'm heavily suspicious of the idea of carefully tuning/creating a headphone only to give people software that is, apparently, intended to make it sound "right."

This was a large beef I had with the iSine.

Dec 23, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #172 of 907
Much as I love Audeze, I'm heavily suspicious of the idea of carefully tuning/creating a headphone only to give people software that is, apparently, intended to make it sound "right."

This was a large beef I had with the iSine.
Do you mean that it doesn't sound "good" unless one used that connector cable with DSP or something on it? I recall reading a review that the ISign had to be used with some in-line processor to tune it 'right.'

Dec 23, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #173 of 907
Do you mean that it doesn't sound "good" unless one used that connector cable with DSP or something on it? I recall reading a review that the ISign had to be used with some in-line processor to tune it 'right.'

The iSine sounds very different just using the 3.5mm versus the Cipher cable, which is iOS only. I was all set to snag the 10 until I discovered this and was heavily unimpressed. If the MX4 is pulling a similar gambit then I'm out.

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #175 of 907
The iSine sounds very different just using the 3.5mm versus the Cipher cable, which is iOS only. I was all set to snag the 10 until I discovered this and was heavily unimpressed. If the MX4 is pulling a similar gambit then I'm out.
Yes; My terminology was all over the place. But that's what I meant. I don't buy into the whole Apple system, and for an IEM to sound good only from an Iproduct, doesn't seem wise to me.

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #176 of 907
Yes; My terminology was all over the place. But that's what I meant. I don't buy into the whole Apple system, and for an IEM to sound good only from an Iproduct, doesn't seem wise to me.

I don't see it as an apple issue, I see it as a "you have to buy it with the more expensive add-on" issue, because the iSine lightning is $50 more than the standard, and the "Reveal" software strikes me as another issue. The headphones are supposed to sound "perfect" (meaning, however they're supposed to be tuned) right out of the box. What if I hook them into something that can't use Reveal? Does that mean my MX4 are gonna sound wonky?

This is really bothering me, truth be told.

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #177 of 907

i have an i4 w/o cipher cable.
have they done this with their other HPs?

I for one love stock cable :)
did a lot of cable rolling but always return to stock

i did use the mx4 on a mixer and the vocals are very accurate:

IMG_20171222_140540.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #178 of 907
i have an i4 w/o cipher cable.
have they done this with their other HPs?

I for one love stock cable :)
did a lot of cable rolling but always return to stock

i did use the mx4 on a mixer and the vocals are very accurate:

Far as I know it's just the iSine... currently.

And personally I listen to a lot more than just vocals, so as good as it is to know the vocals are accurate I'm gonna be listening for a helluva lot more than that.

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #179 of 907
Far as I know it's just the iSine... currently.

And personally I listen to a lot more than just vocals, so as good as it is to know the vocals are accurate I'm gonna be listening for a helluva lot more than that.

i am picky when it comes to iems/HPs

i tried to like Audeze at the past because of their sound but those previous models wasn't my cup of tea (except the X but still lacking on me) 'coz i thought they only serve me on some genres. now the mx4 did it for me as being well rounded. i do prefer them over utopia that im using :)

it's just the abyss diana that make me think again now
Lolzz

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #180 of 907
"Reveal" software strikes me as another issue. The headphones are supposed to sound "perfect" (meaning, however they're supposed to be tuned) right out of the box. What if I hook them into something that can't use Reveal? Does that mean my MX4 are gonna sound wonky?

This is really bothering me, truth be told.

We released Reveal plugin with presets for all of our models. The existence of the plugin does not suddenly make the LCD series that have long existed and been positively received by audiophiles, without the plugin, inferior or badly tuned. It is an option we provide for those who want to use it. No headphone would satisfy everyone (unless it has alien technology that morphs itself) and all headphones can benefit from some personalization. Why else do head-fiers spend countless hours and money rolling cables, amps and other components to try and alter what they hear to better match their preference. We will continue to update the plugin for all future model. We tune all our headphones to sound best out of the box and sound their best in their respective categories. We see the plugin as an alternate flavor and the dry/wet control gives you control over how much you want the sound to be altered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back