Audeze LCD-MX4
Nov 29, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #136 of 907
--------------------

MX4 - DAVE/ DAVE-WA5LE short thoughts:

Naked DAVE:
Cleaner presentation than the WA33 I listened to before, but it still had a veil in its presentation. Notes still seemed truncated and blurred. It was less clear than a modded HD600/HD650 and the X that I have owned. Dynamics were more or less then same, soft, will little swing. Bruckner's symphony No 9 sounded immdeiately dull as well as conjested. It did not capture the grand acoustics of the concert hall, especially apparent when the low rumble of horns do not reverberate.
Bach cello suite 4 sounded alright in a small venue, however I did not hear the vibrations in the cello strings that were obvious with the ZMF Eikon, another warm headphone. Trios and small works sounded great if you could dismiss the veil/lack or clarity. MX4 fell flat on its face for classical compared to the likes of HE1000.

Bass was extended well and clean. Massive Attack's splitting the atom had defined bassline, but impact was lacking, it did not make me tap my feet unlike the punchy nature of the ZMF Auteur. clarity was not a big issue for electronic as the music is processed anyway, though i could hear the veil to a small extent. These are somewhat basshead headphones that can be an electronic music lover's dream. Highly satisfying sub bass and mid bass hump, slightly recessed highs that take off the edge of poorly recorded pieces.
Imaging of Yosi Horikawa- Bubbles and Bump was blurry. Transients like the sound of ping pong balls in the tracks were ill-defined/mashed together at complex sections. Overall Stax 007 was a beast at electronic music, the best I have heard with Yosi's albums.

Piano sounds outright electronic, stripped of its natural timbre with Thelonius Monk. Saxes were very pleasant though, euphonic and intimate. The shrill,honky nature of some sax recordings are smoothed out tastefully. Once again, acoustic space representation was poor, the MX4 does not take advantage of reverb/decay of good recordings, quartets sound better. Bucky Pizzarelli's trio Three For All was a relaxing listen.

Dire Strait's Sultans of Swing had a very blunt treble, poor extention. Ting of cymbals followed by silence. Transients were far too quick, which I dislike planars and electrostats for, the shimmer of cymbals/triangles decay almost immediately. Guitar crunches of Rodrigo y Gabriela was done decently, but without texture and visceral impact.

Overall, better DAVE solo than with the WA33 I would like to admit. The woo amp made the MX4 even more claustrophobic and blurry than it already is. The MX4 is good but not great for a laid back listening session, though it tires me because of its forward bass/mid presentation and me cranking up volume to hear detail. Forget about good recordings, the headphone cannot take advantage of minute details and volume swings. The more processed the music is, the better the MX4 will excel. For this price range, the MX4 is a no go. The lack of engagement with its dull (literally), blunted presentation killed it. If you like music smooth as a babies arse, this may interest you.

--------------
With WA5LE:

First thing: tube noise. The 20ohm impedence does not play well with tube amps, even ones with output transformers.

Immediately More spacious sounding. This tube amp is magic for me,there is something about 300B tubes.Improvements all across the board, dynamics, soundscape, tonal balance, and to a smaller degree, clarity.

Instrument imaging is still not up to snuff here, unclear. Dynamics are improved but still not where I want it to be, I still hear dynamic range compression.
Impact is improved definitely, punchy, similar to LCDX levels, still not enough however.

Vocals were surprising for me, its nasal tonality was toned down quite a bit, to just slightly noticeable. Beautiful rendering of vocals, silky and refined. A touch more refined than I would like, lacking abit of texture.

The problem inherent in planar drivers is still apparant even on the WA5LE. The amp has pushed the MX4 to boarderline acceptable for me. The lack of dynamics, detail and its nasal tonality may bother some, like myself. The $4000 tube amp with a DAVE still did not do enough to 'Fix' it for me to recommend the MX4.
Anyone else with similar sentiments please try the headphone with different amps. You may find the unicorn pairing that brings you audio nirvana.

*short note: WA5LE/Schiit Gungnir MB with the HD800S/Auteur/Atticus was orgasmic for me, for anyone who wants more context for my preferences.

1511934729458483001871.jpg

1511933986382415856301.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #137 of 907
Oh man I am losing faith in Audeze with each new release. They are screwing over original LCD 4 (100ohm) owners again, with the release of the 200ohm version then the 4.1 (supposedly). Never have I seen a headphone with so many revisions. Makes Senns headphoned an even better option. 'If you cant make it good, put on some wood.'
Okay enough with the whining.

--------------------

Naked DAVE:
Cleaner presentation than the WA33 I listened to before, but it still had a veil in its presentation. Notes still seemed truncated and blurred. It was less clear than a modded HD600/HD650 and the X that I have owned. Dynamics were more or less then same, soft, will little swing. Bruckner's symphony No 9 sounded immdeiately dull as well as conjested. It did not capture the grand acoustics of the concert hall, especially apparent when the low rumble of horns do not reverberate.
Bach cello suite 4 sounded alright in a small venue, however I did not hear the vibrations in the cello strings that were obvious with the ZMF Eikon, another warm headphone. Trios and small works sounded great if you could dismiss the veil/lack or clarity. MX4 fell flat on its face for classical compared to the likes of HE1000.

Bass was extended well and clean. Massive Attack's splitting the atom had defined bassline, but impact was lacking, it did not make me tap my feet unlike the punchy nature of the ZMF Auteur. clarity was not a big issue for electronic as the music is processed anyway, though i could hear the veil to a small extent. These are somewhat basshead headphones that can be an electronic music lover's dream. Highly satisfying sub bass and mid bass hump, slightly recessed highs that take off the edge of poorly recorded pieces.
Imaging of Yosi Horikawa- Bubbles and Bump was blurry. Transients like the sound of ping pong balls in the tracks were ill-defined/mashed together at complex sections. Overall Stax 007 was a beast at electronic music, the best I have heard with Yosi's albums.

Piano sounds outright electronic, stripped of its natural timbre with Thelonius Monk. Saxes were very pleasant though, euphonic and intimate. The shrill,honky nature of some sax recordings are smoothed out tastefully. Once again, acoustic space representation was poor, the MX4 does not take advantage of reverb/decay of good recordings, quartets sound better. Bucky Pizzarelli's trio Three For All was a relaxing listen.

Dire Strait's Sultans of Swing had a very blunt treble, poor extention. Ting of cymbals followed by silence. Transients were far too quick, which I dislike planars and electrostats for, the shimmer of cymbals/triangles decay almost immediately. Guitar crunches of Rodrigo y Gabriela was done decently, but without texture and visceral impact.

Overall, better DAVE solo than with the WA33 I would like to admit. The woo amp made the MX4 even more claustrophobic and blurry than it already is. The MX4 is good but not great for a laid back listening session, though it tires me because of its forward bass/mid presentation and me cranking up volume to hear detail. Forget about good recordings, the headphone cannot take advantage of minute details and volume swings. The more processed the music is, the better the MX4 will excel. For this price range, the MX4 is a no go. The lack of engagement with its dull (literally), blunted presentation killed it. If you like music smooth as a babies arse, this may interest you.

--------------
With WA5LE:

First thing: tube noise. The 20ohm impedence does not play well with tube amps, even ones with output transformers.

Immediately More spacious sounding. This tube amp is magic for me,there is something about 300B tubes.Improvements all across the board, dynamics, soundscape, tonal balance, and to a smaller degree, clarity.

Instrument imaging is still not up to snuff here, unclear. Dynamics are improved but still not where I want it to be, I still hear dynamic range compression.
Impact is improved definitely, punchy, similar to LCDX levels, still not enough however.

The problem inherent in planar drivers is still apparant even on the WA5LE. The amp has pushed the MX4 to boarderline acceptable for me. The lack of dynamics and detail is may bother some, like myself. The $4000 tube amp with a DAVE still did not do enough to 'Fix' it for me to recommend the MX4.
Anyone else with similar sentiments please try the headphone with different amps. You may find the unicorn pairing that brings you audio nirvana.

*short note: WA5LE/Schiit Gungnir MB with the HD800S/Auteur/Atticus was orgasmic for me, for anyone who wants more context for my preferences.

This is not a new revision, mine is just a custom one off LCD4 200ohm made in PurpleHeart wood

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #140 of 907
--------------------

Naked DAVE:

--------------
With WA5LE:

Vocals were surprising for me, its nasal tonality was toned down quite a bit, to just slightly noticeable. Beautiful rendering of vocals, silky and refined. A touch more refined than I would like, lacking abit of texture.

The problem inherent in planar drivers is still apparant even on the WA5LE. The amp has pushed the MX4 to boarderline acceptable for me. The lack of dynamics, detail and its nasal tonality may bother some, like myself. The $4000 tube amp with a DAVE still did not do enough to 'Fix' it for me to recommend the MX4.

I'm disappointed to hear that it doesn't do it for you. But, Thanks for trying what I asked you if you could do. Still looking forward to other opinions. Good and detailed report.

Nov 29, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #141 of 907
I'm disappointed to hear that it doesn't do it for you. But, Thanks for trying what I asked you if you could do. Still looking forward to other opinions. Good and detailed report.
You truly have to find a way to listen to it yourself. I don't agree with any of what this guy said in regards to it. But, I can't knock what he said because that's his own opinion. I got to the point where I don't listen to reviews. I try them myself and make my own judgement based on how I feel about the sound.

Nov 29, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #142 of 907
You truly have to find a way to listen to it yourself. I don't agree with any of what this guy said in regards to it. But, I can't knock what he said because that's his own opinion. I got to the point where I don't listen to reviews. I try them myself and make my own judgement based on how I feel about the sound.
Right. I won't buy without a listen, for sure.

Nov 29, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #143 of 907
Yeah, we do hear things differently, but his bass comment on LCD-X thread was quite unfounded, which makes me wonder about several different things, ranging from the hearing; broken gear - to simple personal vendettas. You can judge it yourself, and place the impressions in context.

I just had to mention this here, for obvious reasons.

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #145 of 907
Yeah, we do hear things differently, but his bass comment on LCD-X thread was quite unfounded, which makes me wonder about several different things, ranging from the hearing; broken gear - to simple personal vendettas. You can judge it yourself, and place the impressions in context.

I just had to mention this here, for obvious reasons.
I don't agree with his take on the X either. But, I did ask him to try the MX4 straight from the DAVE, which he did. I may not agree with his tastes, but I like that he tried to satisfy my curiosity. I'll still give the MXs a audition of my own if ever I can, before buying.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #146 of 907
Definitely hear every piece of gear before you buy, especially at this price range. I urge people to demo gear at home for the best results.

For the record, I don't have grudges against companies and skew my opinions based on them. I judge everything based on merit. Just don't expect me to sugarcoat things that I do not like based on the mainly positive impressions I see here on most threads. I get the feeling of - 'all gear is great, and if you hate on my stuff I'll grab my pitchfork' on this forum and I am just trying to inject some perspective here, that not all headphones/gear are suited for everyone. Some people like the headphone, some do not. All these raving impressions must be taken into consideration, rarely have I seen someone brave enough to outright criticize.

Some criticism as well as positives must be put out there for people to make an informed decision. Many including myself, had made wrong, costly, purchases listening to 'reviews'.

What I want to achieve is to provide context. The money we pay for these stuff must be put under the microscope, especially at this price tier as active consumers. I hope that this forum can be informative/discursive, not devolving into mutual adulation threads I have seen.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #147 of 907
Does anyone have experience with their 30-day trial, though? Seems like a great offer to me - you get to try it for a really long time, at home, and if you don't like them, pay for return shipping, which I'd consider a rather low rental fee.

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #149 of 907
Fwiw I tried the mx4 and have similar opinions as boxxi on it.....compared to utopia or lcd4 or ether flow it just wasn't sounding great to me. It sounded like a bass light closed headphone (not that mx4 had no bass, it's just that closed hps generally have more bass than neutral and I feel like mx4 had neutral or slightly less bass due to elevated mids). The thing it reminded me of was a Beyer dt-250. I don't mean to bash the thing but I wanted to like it and just didn't. Someone on Reddit the other day said it sounded bright to them and I had to laugh, that's not my impression of it at all, unless your only qualifier of bright is lack of bass emphasis. It sounded like a ∆ shaped frequency response.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #150 of 907
Thanks for the impressions. The more I read the less it seems I will like them. Really I would love a more refined version of the LCD2 with thick bass. I guess I will be sticking with my Ether Flows with Audeze Vegan pads, not that they don't sound great I might add, just the never ending upgradeitus :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back