Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Oct 7, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #4,396 of 4,801
What cable have you got on the lcd i4? I’m tempted by the sp2000t. Only problem i see is that ak players aren’t great for being able to use eq

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #4,397 of 4,801
What cable have you got on the lcd i4? I’m tempted by the sp2000t. Only problem i see is that ak players aren’t great for being able to use eq
The cable is a custom order from the good folks at Hart Audio Cables. I honestly never use EQ. All my gear seems to pair very well with my headphones and IEMs.

The SP2000T is a luscious sounding DAP. It's been exceptional with low impedance headphones. That hybrid Amp system is interesting for the most part the DAP itself is rather smooth sounding in the default Op Amp setting.
20221007_174244.jpg

Somewhere around 3 steps in... the sound just becomes captivating to the point I find it hard to stop listening to music. I can't quite explain what it is that draws me in but it does remind me of listening to vinyl records. I think Astell & Kern should include this technology on pretty much anything they manufacture from here on. This would have been a cheat code if the SP3000 had this hybrid amp included in its architecture. If you can demo the SP2000T I'd recommend doing that. I personally tend to favor slightly warm neutral sounding gear as listening to music is my way to destress, recharge, and relax. So anything that prioritizes musicality over pinpoint accuracy or blends those profiles works for my tastes. That being said, your mileage may vary but the LCD-i4 and SP2000T is magnifique in my book.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #4,398 of 4,801
I’ve owned and still own a fair few top tier iems (MEST indigo, ier z1r, legend x, u12t, Solaris og, andromeda, ve elysium, ie900, a8000) but these and the kse1200 are on a different level. These really are like a light lcd 4 that I can use for hours with no neck ache! Truthfully I could leave the hobby with these and the kse1200
Glad you love the i4. It’s been my top IEM since 2017 and no IEM can give me that level of awesomeness these past 5 years. Until the Softears Turii Ti came along. Now both of them are my top 2 IEMs. I don’t feel the need to have others at the moment.

Oct 8, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #4,399 of 4,801
The cable is a custom order from the good folks at Hart Audio Cables. I honestly never use EQ. All my gear seems to pair very well with my headphones and IEMs.

The SP2000T is a luscious sounding DAP. It's been exceptional with low impedance headphones. That hybrid Amp system is interesting for the most part the DAP itself is rather smooth sounding in the default Op Amp setting.
20221007_174244.jpg

Somewhere around 3 steps in... the sound just becomes captivating to the point I find it hard to stop listening to music. I can't quite explain what it is that draws me in but it does remind me of listening to vinyl records. I think Astell & Kern should include this technology on pretty much anything they manufacture from here on. This would have been a cheat code if the SP3000 had this hybrid amp included in its architecture. If you can demo the SP2000T I'd recommend doing that. I personally tend to favor slightly warm neutral sounding gear as listening to music is my way to destress, recharge, and relax. So anything that prioritizes musicality over pinpoint accuracy or blends those profiles works for my tastes. That being said, your mileage may vary but the LCD-i4 and SP2000T is magnifique in my book.
I’m guessing it’s because ak players are good with their mids. Prob kind of eq the i4 with the stock sound. Kind of the hardware naturally helps eq the i4
This does make me wonder how the i4 will sound on the sp3k coming out. lol very expensive though

Oct 8, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #4,400 of 4,801
Glad you love the i4. It’s been my top IEM since 2017 and no IEM can give me that level of awesomeness these past 5 years. Until the Softears Turii Ti came along. Now both of them are my top 2 IEMs. I don’t feel the need to have others at the moment.
Ah yes single dynamic driver have generally been my favourite in the traditional iem game too. I need to sell some iems off now to be honest

Oct 8, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #4,401 of 4,801
I’m guessing it’s because ak players are good with their mids. Prob kind of eq the i4 with the stock sound. Kind of the hardware naturally helps eq the i4
This does make me wonder how the i4 will sound on the sp3k coming out. lol very expensive though
The user may not have spent time with i4 with either roon eq or cipher cable eq. I first had i4 with no cipher cable. I really enjoyed it foronrhs. I eventually got cipher cable and learned how warm, and dynic the i4 could actually get. No, the cipher cable didn't have the detail and resolution of my FAP, but it showed me the potential that the i4 had. Once I realized how much of the frequency spectrum the i4 could really xover, coined with the speed and detail, I knew I couldn't just listen with a analog cable with no eq whatsoever. There is so much more the i4 can show you in your music when brought closer to the target response

Oct 8, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #4,402 of 4,801
The user may not have spent time with i4 with either roon eq or cipher cable eq. I first had i4 with no cipher cable. I really enjoyed it foronrhs. I eventually got cipher cable and learned how warm, and dynic the i4 could actually get. No, the cipher cable didn't have the detail and resolution of my FAP, but it showed me the potential that the i4 had. Once I realized how much of the frequency spectrum the i4 could really xover, coined with the speed and detail, I knew I couldn't just listen with a analog cable with no eq whatsoever. There is so much more the i4 can show you in your music when brought closer to the target response
I tried the Roon DSP profiles but didn't like the way all of them sounded. If you have specific DSP or Eq settings that you're using and don't mind sharing; I'd be willing to give that a shot. Also, my i4 did not come with the Cipher Cable. My previous experience with the iSine 20 and the Cipher cable was middling at the time. When I previously mentioned I never use eq it was after several weeks of getting acclimated to the fit, placement, proper seal, and capabilities of the i4 and trying different Roon DSP settings. I did not find it wholly necessary for what I was listening to. So from that point onward, I found no need for the DSP profiles or eqing as it sounded righteous to me with stock tuning and an analog cable.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #4,403 of 4,801
Great. Another set of iem's I'm wanting, the software turii ti

Oct 8, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #4,404 of 4,801
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on comparison and/or use case differences between the Turii and i4. I have currently settled on the i4 and Euclid as my 2 iems, for me, they are a clear divide into quiet environment/private listening and travel/public. And while I really like the Euclid I do think there's room for improvement.

Oct 8, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #4,405 of 4,801
I tried the Roon DSP profiles but didn't like the way all of them sounded. If you have specific DSP or Eq settings that you're using and don't mind sharing; I'd be willing to give that a shot. Also, my i4 did not come with the Cipher Cable. My previous experience with the iSine 20 and the Cipher cable was middling at the time. When I previously mentioned I never use eq it was after several weeks of getting acclimated to the fit, placement, proper seal, and capabilities of the i4 and trying different Roon DSP settings. I did not find it wholly necessary for what I was listening to. So from that point onward, I found no need for the DSP profiles or eqing as it sounded righteous to me with stock tuning and an analog cable.
Understood. I certainly prefer warm signature with present treble. I also like slightly recessed mids. I like the feeling of sitting in middle of theater. My Oriolus SE02 is only 5 band eq, and I use stock tips from Audeze.
LCD-i4: 63hz(+4) 330hz(-2.5) 1khz(-4.5) 3.3khz(+5) 10khz(-2)

Oct 8, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #4,406 of 4,801
I actually find Roon’s built in LCDi4 profile really good. Perhaps you can try PEQ I now use when using my DAP (courtesy of @bflat ):

141F5013-5DFA-43A9-AA1F-952F25DA149A.png

Oct 8, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #4,407 of 4,801
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on comparison and/or use case differences between the Turii and i4. I have currently settled on the i4 and Euclid as my 2 iems, for me, they are a clear divide into quiet environment/private listening and travel/public. And while I really like the Euclid I do think there's room for improvement.
Compared to i4, Turii Ti’s strength lies in its superb timbral accuracy and realism. It’s also highly resolving and super tranparent, but it still manages to be very musical and engaging. Soundstage wise, Turii Ti feels as if we’re in this massive concert hall, whereas i4 feels like the music is part of the room you’re listening in. In terms of bass, i4 is still ahead with its visceral planar bass. But make no mistake, Turii Ti’s bass is no slouch at all.

Oct 8, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #4,408 of 4,801
Compared to i4, Turii Ti’s strength lies in its superb timbral accuracy and realism. It’s also highly resolving and super tranparent, but it still manages to be very musical and engaging. Soundstage wise, Turii Ti feels as if we’re in this massive concert hall, whereas i4 feels like the music is part of the room you’re listening in. In terms of bass, i4 is still ahead with its visceral planar bass. But make no mistake, Turii Ti’s bass is no slouch at all.
Great, thank you, this is very helpful and exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. The Turii is now on my list as the nest IEM to acquire :)

Oct 8, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #4,409 of 4,801
Understood. I certainly prefer warm signature with present treble. I also like slightly recessed mids. I like the feeling of sitting in middle of theater. My Oriolus SE02 is only 5 band eq, and I use stock tips from Audeze.
LCD-i4: 63hz(+4) 330hz(-2.5) 1khz(-4.5) 3.3khz(+5) 10khz(-2)
I will definitely give your eq settings a try later this afternoon. The LCD-i4 sounded pretty good from the chain I listened with last night. Windows Workstation-->Tidal-->Roon-->TEAC UD-505-->HeadAmp GS-X Mini-->Audeze LCD-i4. Thank you for sharing your 5 band eq settings.

Oct 8, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #4,410 of 4,801
I actually find Roon’s built in LCDi4 profile really good. Perhaps you can try PEQ I now use when using my DAP (courtesy of @bflat ):

141F5013-5DFA-43A9-AA1F-952F25DA149A.png
Thank you for sharing @bflat 's eq settings as well. I'm always willing to challenge my own perceptions about how things sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back