Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #2,446 of 2,477
The 4Z with 2022 pads is SUPERB headphone- as good or better than many so called reference headphones that get much more attention. It is not the best in detail, has a pretty small soundstage, and perhaps some other slight technical weaknesses for a reference headphone, but TONALLY it is at the very top IMHO and the technicalities are plenty good enough. Tone and timber are always my number one concern in headphone listening.

I place it way above the meze Elite, and slightly above the Caldera (to my taste). Also- way better than Susvara- but I do not like thin etherial sound but rather physical meaty sound- so that is a very personal taste issue.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #2,447 of 2,477
I do not place my 4z as better than my Meze Elites at all. A great headphone for sure, but not better than Elite, and not as comfortable. Plus the pads already fell off my 4z (again) and I am tired of glued-on pads. Not gonna try to fix it again, last time I sent in to Audeze for pad replacement, lasted a while but oh well.

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #2,448 of 2,477
I respect your opinion my friend- but I vastly prefer the 4Z. More physical, fuller, punchier. Elite is morre etherial- not my style as much- although I vastly prefer the Elite to the Susvara which is way too etherial and too thin for my tastes.

Headfi is a place for opinions.... Thanks for sharing yours.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #2,449 of 2,477
Considering LCD-4z, and want some advice.
I'm a metalhead and I like HPs that can really bring it in the bass department, otherwise I'm just not interested, I'm not flat FR or analytical sound.

I own the LCD-X, but I barely use it anymore, as they are really lacking in vocals compared to my other HPs and they are just not as good in general.

I was wondering if the LCD-4z is really like the LCD-4 (which I never tried but read about), or is it something else?
Can someone compare the LCD-4z with the LCD-X or with any other HPs I own - Rognir, D8000 Pro?
It is different from the LCD-4, but still an amazing headphone. Especially with a good quality silver cable. Would be great with metal. I happen to think the D8K Pro is the best headphone on the market for my personal tastes. I love that headphone. But, I loved the 4z too. Great headphone. Super underrated and deserves some love. Haven't heard the Rognir. Supposed to have a great soundstage for a closed back. I'd get the 4z or Final D8K Pro personally. I own the D8K Pro and owned the 4z and I wish I still had the 4z. It is an awesome headphone.

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #2,450 of 2,477
I respect your opinion my friend- but I vastly prefer the 4Z. More physical, fuller, punchier. Elite is morre etherial- not my style as much- although I vastly prefer the Elite to the Susvara which is way too etherial and too thin for my tastes.

Headfi is a place for opinions.... Thanks for sharing yours.
I agree here 100%. I preferred the 4z to the Susvara, Elite and HEKse. The 3 Planars I would personally look at would be the 4z, D8K Pro and the HEKv2 without stealth magnets. I love that headphone. I think the 4z benefits from a good silver cable but the stock Audeze cable is awfully good. I never had problems with the pads, but ymmv on that one. We all have different experiences with headphones, their sound and their QC. So I don't disbelieve anyone's opinions...

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #2,451 of 2,477
It is different from the LCD-4, but still an amazing headphone. Especially with a good quality silver cable. Would be great with metal. I happen to think the D8K Pro is the best headphone on the market for my personal tastes. I love that headphone. But, I loved the 4z too. Great headphone. Super underrated and deserves some love. Haven't heard the Rognir. Supposed to have a great soundstage for a closed back. I'd get the 4z or Final D8K Pro personally. I own the D8K Pro and owned the 4z and I wish I still had the 4z. It is an awesome headphone.
I prefer the 4 to the 4z. I like both but I found the 4 meatier. I agree the Final should be in consideration as I prefer its bass detail and textural response over competitors like the 1266 TC. Listening to Meshuggah on the D8K Pro as I type this. Compared to Rögnir, the Kennerton is , counterintuitively for a closed back, wider than the LCD and the Final. The Rögnir certainly isn’t bass light but it is trumped by Final, T+A Sol P, 1266 TC, or an LCD4.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #2,452 of 2,477

Thank you. I already own the D8000 Pro, They are nice, but they are a bit on the analytical side and while they do have bass, it doesn't come close to the Rognir or even the LCD-X. The D8000 pro are a bit too analytical and correct for me, it doesn't give me any thrill. I feel they were designed for "correct" sound, maybe for Classical.

Can you compare LCD-4z to D8000 Pro?

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #2,453 of 2,477
I prefer the 4 to the 4z. I like both but I found the 4 meatier.

I guess I could find the LCD-4 on eBay, but they are heavy and I fear the drivers might die, read about it happening too often. How big is the difference between them? is is minor?

I prefer the 4 to the 4z. I like both but I found the 4 meatier. I agree the Final should be in consideration as I prefer its bass detail and textural response over competitors like the 1266 TC. Listening to Meshuggah on the D8K Pro as I type this. Compared to Rögnir, the Kennerton is , counterintuitively for a closed back, wider than the LCD and the Final. The Rögnir certainly isn’t bass light but it is trumped by Final, T+A Sol P, 1266 TC, or an LCD4.

Rognir is just an exciting and dynamic HPs with sick bass. I use a special version with flat thin leather pads that is suppose to elevate the bass. They are just wonderful, but after using the Kennerton Heartland which has amazing vocals it kind of unmask my ears the fact that the vocals on the Rognir are a bit thin. I'll take the Rognir's bass over the D8000 PRO every day.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #2,454 of 2,477
@ardbeg1975 I see you currently own both LCD-4 and Rognir, how do they compare?

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #2,455 of 2,477
I guess I could find the LCD-4 on eBay, but they are heavy and I fear the drivers might die, read about it happening too often. How big is the difference between them? is is minor?

Rognir is just an exciting and dynamic HPs with sick bass. I use a special version with flat thin leather pads that is suppose to elevate the bass. They are just wonderful, but after using the Kennerton Heartland which has amazing vocals it kind of unmask my ears the fact that the vocals on the Rognir are a bit thin. I'll take the Rognir's bass over the D8000 PRO every day.
The LCD-4 is materially heavier. It is well padded thus it doesn’t bother me at all but it is weighty. I like the Rögnir bass but prefer the Final’s texture. You could try a Final D8K non-pro as those are supposedly even more bassy or a used (don’t pay new pair price) Solitaire P as they have wider staging than the Final and more like the Rögnir, better mids, and very full bass.

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #2,457 of 2,477
Maybe You should try Solitaire P?

At 6900$ I'm just not rich enough, even second hand will probably be expensive, if you can find one as I'm betting these are rare.

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #2,458 of 2,477
At 6900$ I'm just not rich enough, even second hand will probably be expensive, if you can find one as I'm betting these are rare.
They run $3-4K used and come up about quarterly in classifieds.

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #2,459 of 2,477
Thank you. I already own the D8000 Pro, They are nice, but they are a bit on the analytical side and while they do have bass, it doesn't come close to the Rognir or even the LCD-X. The D8000 pro are a bit too analytical and correct for me, it doesn't give me any thrill. I feel they were designed for "correct" sound, maybe for Classical.

Can you compare LCD-4z to D8000 Pro?
The 4 and 4z are meatier, more physical than the D8K Pro. The 4z is very efficient so you can run it off most everything. Lighter, easier to handle. The LCD-4 is a fantastic headphone too. I prefer the D8K Pro and the HEKv2 to both personally. My favorite planar is the Hifiman LFF Code X made from an original HE5. That is my Planar Baby. It has the best tone/timbre of any headphone I've heard. Unfortunately finding one is next to impossible as the modder is out of the game. That is my favorite headphone, bar none. I didn't bring it up because there maybe are 10 left out in the wild. Maybe 15.

Jan 4, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #2,460 of 2,477
Considering LCD-4z, and want some advice.
I'm a metalhead and I like HPs that can really bring it in the bass department, otherwise I'm just not interested, I'm not flat FR or analytical sound.

I own the LCD-X, but I barely use it anymore, as they are really lacking in vocals compared to my other HPs and they are just not as good in general.

I was wondering if the LCD-4z is really like the LCD-4 (which I never tried but read about), or is it something else?
Can someone compare the LCD-4z with the LCD-X or with any other HPs I own - Rognir, D8000 Pro?
The 4Z’s are warm, slow and flubby headphones. My HE-6SE’s driven well leave everything from Audeze well behind. They are tight, with great speed and slam, and go deep. Only downside is they’re hard to drive and the 4Z’s are extremely easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back