Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #2,251 of 2,477
if you hate the stock tuning it sounds like you ought to look into a different HP that better lines up with your preferences...kind of like buying an expensive car and not liking the ride and saying you will switch out the engine
The 4z and LCD4 have very capable drivers and you can practically apply any EQ without distortion. The bass is bottomless. Can’t say that for any other headphone I’ve tried. I don’t particularly like the stock tuning of my studio monitors which I paid a great deal more for buts that’s why they come with DSP.

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #2,252 of 2,477
the 200-ohm driver is from the LCD-4. If you order direct from Audeze you can specify an LCD-4 with the magnesium chassis like the LCD-4z.

Earlier models of 4z and 4 had issues with driver failures, but newer versions are quite reliable.

Thanks for clearing that up. By earlier models do you mean 2018? That’s the new purchase date of the pair I’m interested in locally. I don’t want to spend 50% RRP and have a driver go out!

Edit - I assume that is the case. This thread was started in April 2018

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #2,253 of 2,477
Audeze 4z still may be one of my favorite overall sound signatures. I regret slightly selling mine but I always hated the weight and have had concerns with longevity of Audeze products... I know the guy I sold them to did two driver replacements during his use. A $4000 headphone should just not have that kind of QC issues in my opinion but the sound just may be worth it. I feel like thats the constant struggle of Audeze products for me though... Weight and QC but Always in Love with there sound. One day they will make a non qc riddled lightweight option that will be my end game.... one day!

Feb 14, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #2,254 of 2,477
Audeze 4z still may be one of my favorite overall sound signatures. I regret slightly selling mine but I always hated the weight and have had concerns with longevity of Audeze products... I know the guy I sold them to did two driver replacements during his use. A $4000 headphone should just not have that kind of QC issues in my opinion but the sound just may be worth it. I feel like thats the constant struggle of Audeze products for me though... Weight and QC but Always in Love with there sound. One day they will make a non qc riddled lightweight option that will be my end game.... one day!
I haven’t had any issues with my set. 2 years and they are still making great music.

Feb 14, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #2,255 of 2,477
Thanks for clearing that up. By earlier models do you mean 2018? That’s the new purchase date of the pair I’m interested in locally. I don’t want to spend 50% RRP and have a driver go out!

Edit - I assume that is the case. This thread was started in April 2018

Yeah but I'm not sure when exactly they sorted it out. The very first units must have left the factory early 2018 or late 2017 since it went to be sold on market mid 2018.

Mine was purchased new 2020 but left the factory in june 2018 (I asked audeze direct). My unit is fine apart from cosmetic defects on the gril which I replaced. I have not had any issues with the driver

Maybe you can get the serial no and contact audeze about the unit's history like I did.

I'm guessing that unit has the yellow gril then

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #2,256 of 2,477
I haven’t had any issues with my set. 2 years and they are still making great music.
I guess I am just one of those unlucky few that gets the issues with Audeze heaphones... My LCD X had issues as well way back in the day. I will say that there warranty program is top notch and they get the headphones in and back to you quite quickly if anything does go wrong. I do love this sound signature. My Focal Utopias are some of the most detailed sound I've ever experienced but these babies just presented the soundstage like I'd expect to hear it from an experience set of speakers in a treated room and I don't think any set of cans has done it quite like these still to date.

Feb 14, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #2,257 of 2,477
I guess I am just one of those unlucky few that gets the issues with Audeze heaphones... My LCD X had issues as well way back in the day. I will say that there warranty program is top notch and they get the headphones in and back to you quite quickly if anything does go wrong. I do love this sound signature. My Focal Utopias are some of the most detailed sound I've ever experienced but these babies just presented the soundstage like I'd expect to hear it from an experience set of speakers in a treated room and I don't think any set of cans has done it quite like these still to date.
The LCD-4Z’s sound just a bit more natural than the Utopia’s with a better bass response. I enjoy them both for different reasons.

Feb 14, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #2,258 of 2,477
The LCD-4Z’s sound just a bit more natural than the Utopia’s with a better bass response. I enjoy them both for different reasons.
That's the perfect contrast of the two. I think its a one two punch that cant be beat. Although admittingly I haven't had the privilege of listening to Audeze Electrostat or 5 headphone yet. Maybe time to sell an amp or another set of cans and try to jump back in the chase for the perfect system again. Hugo TT2 and Focal Utopia have had me quite content for some time now though.

Feb 14, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #2,259 of 2,477
The Utopia’s and 4Z’s both sound fantastic out of Chord gear. I agreed that the two together make a fabulous combo!

Feb 14, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #2,260 of 2,477
Owned every LCD model (many for years) and never had one issue.

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #2,261 of 2,477
Yeah but I'm not sure when exactly they sorted it out. The very first units must have left the factory early 2018 or late 2017 since it went to be sold on market mid 2018.

Mine was purchased new 2020 but left the factory in june 2018 (I asked audeze direct). My unit is fine apart from cosmetic defects on the gril which I replaced. I have not had any issues with the driver

Maybe you can get the serial no and contact audeze about the unit's history like I did.

I'm guessing that unit has the yellow gril then

Yessir the grille is gold/yellow. Are later revisions silver?

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #2,262 of 2,477

Have you been pushing them from portable devices? I am wondering if the driver failures are from hammering them with DC from clipping portable players vs comfortably driven from home amplifiers.

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #2,263 of 2,477
Feb 15, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #2,264 of 2,477
Yessir the grille is gold/yellow. Are later revisions silver?

The silver ones are the mx4. The later versions have a copper mesh and updated earcups. No changes to driver design

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #2,265 of 2,477
It’s actually easy to blow an Audeze driver at high SPL. It’s caused by the pressure change from taking them off and putting them back on - which pushes onto the diaphragm, which is already very very thin. This is why they integrated the felt spacer so the pressure dissipates.

You can usually hear the 4z at high volumes thump when you take them off your head. Ideally you want to lower the volume before you put them back on your head so there isn’t such a drastic change in pressure. This puts a lot less strain on the diaphragm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back