Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #1,921 of 2,477
Any recommendations for an affordable balanced cable for the 4z? Options I've come across are hart cables, corpse cables, and some fantasia thing on Amazon. Has anyone tried any of these brands?

I'd like to spend less than 200 and just want something of good quality (flexible, little to no microphonics)

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #1,922 of 2,477
Any recommendations for an affordable balanced cable for the 4z? Options I've come across are hart cables, corpse cables, and some fantasia thing on Amazon. Has anyone tried any of these brands?

I'd like to spend less than 200 and just want something of good quality (flexible, little to no microphonics)
Just get the balanced audeze cable from their website. Very well built and solid cable

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #1,923 of 2,477
Just get the balanced audeze cable from their website. Very well built and solid cable
That's an option. I believe that cable is more intended for their other LCD headphones with the LCD-4 specific cable costing 599. However I'm sure it would work fine. It's definitely a good price at 149 but wouldn't mind finding something that's a bit more interesting looking haha

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #1,924 of 2,477
That's an option. I believe that cable is more intended for their other LCD headphones with the LCD-4 specific cable costing 599. However I'm sure it would work fine. It's definitely a good price at 149 but wouldn't mind finding something that's a bit more interesting looking haha
Yeah I feel you. Rn I'm using the ZMF 2k copper. I've listened to the lcd 4 black and white braided cable, black braided, and ZMF and all sounded the same to me. ZMF definitely the prettiest though. If you scrub the cable classifieds there are always some mini xlr cables popping up. That's where I got the 2k.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #1,925 of 2,477

I have this cable on my 4z’s and it brings them to life. It extracts maximum details, enhances dynamics and bass response, smoooths out the treble and doesn’t add any brightness. I have their copper cable on my Audio-Technical ATH-AWKT’s.

https://audiosensibility.com/blog/p...hone-Cable-Audeze/p/35504923/category=8516930

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #1,926 of 2,477
I have this cable on my 4z’s and it brings them to life. It extracts maximum details, enhances dynamics and bass response, smoooths out the treble and doesn’t add any brightness. I have their copper cable on my Audio-Technical ATH-AWKT’s.

https://audiosensibility.com/blog/p...hone-Cable-Audeze/p/35504923/category=8516930
That's a nice looking cable. It's over my budget but with their current sale and conversion to usd it comes out to 350ish so I will consider it.

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #1,927 of 2,477
Norne has a black friday sale starting today so I think I'm going to pick up their s3-c cable instead. Still over my initial budget but I really like the look of the exposed silver wiring and have only heard good things about Norne.

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #1,929 of 2,477
I ordered the Norne Silvergarde S3-C cable. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, definitely good companies to be aware of for future cable purchases. BTW the Norne sale is 20% off through December 1st.

I will try to remember to post a picture and impressions once the cable gets here.

Nov 28, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #1,930 of 2,477
I ordered the Norne Silvergarde S3-C cable. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, definitely good companies to be aware of for future cable purchases. BTW the Norne sale is 20% off through December 1st.

I will try to remember to post a picture and impressions once the cable gets here.

Good choice! I ordered a s3-c (8x20awg) and here’s a picture of it w the 4z

Attachments

• 690FAB4F-0043-47D8-9E01-79DE13F12645.jpeg
    690FAB4F-0043-47D8-9E01-79DE13F12645.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Dec 12, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #1,931 of 2,477
Norne Silvergarde S3-C Cable is here. I haven't tried it but wanted to share a picture.
norne.jpg

Dec 12, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #1,932 of 2,477
Ok so I just had to plug in the 789 again to try out this new cable cause I've been listening to the RebelAmp w/ the 4z for the past couple of months. The 789 sounds kind of piercing / harsh on some tracks especially in the treble. I might be hearing more of the flaws / details in the music but I'm definitely finding that the RebelAmp is a more enjoyable sound even if it's a bit less resolving. Anyways just thought I'd throw out an observation regarding these two amps.

I bought the norne cable knowing that I'm in the market for a new balanced amp and this cable would be used with that. I haven't selected one yet but I'm considering the headamp gsx mini, burson soloist 3xp, flux labs fa-10 or fa-12, or the violectric v280. I'm hoping to orrder one of these either end of this month or early next year. I'm hoping I choose something that is more "end game" and not just another mid-fi amp.

In regards to the norne cable, I'm very impressed with the build quality. It feels solid in the hands yet flexible. The silver catches the light and looks really good in person. I've found the mini xlr connectors a bit stiffer than the ones on the wywires cable but overall I'm happy so far. I won't comment on the sound especially since I'm switching amps and the cable is brand new but it certainly doesn't sound any worse than the cables I've used before (stock single ended and wywires single ended)

Dec 12, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #1,933 of 2,477
Ok so I just had to plug in the 789 again to try out this new cable cause I've been listening to the RebelAmp w/ the 4z for the past couple of months. The 789 sounds kind of piercing / harsh on some tracks especially in the treble. I might be hearing more of the flaws / details in the music but I'm definitely finding that the RebelAmp is a more enjoyable sound even if it's a bit less resolving. Anyways just thought I'd throw out an observation regarding these two amps.

I bought the norne cable knowing that I'm in the market for a new balanced amp and this cable would be used with that. I haven't selected one yet but I'm considering the headamp gsx mini, burson soloist 3xp, flux labs fa-10 or fa-12, or the violectric v280. I'm hoping to orrder one of these either end of this month or early next year. I'm hoping I choose something that is more "end game" and not just another mid-fi amp.

In regards to the norne cable, I'm very impressed with the build quality. It feels solid in the hands yet flexible. The silver catches the light and looks really good in person. I've found the mini xlr connectors a bit stiffer than the ones on the wywires cable but overall I'm happy so far. I won't comment on the sound especially since I'm switching amps and the cable is brand new but it certainly doesn't sound any worse than the cables I've used before (stock single ended and wywires single ended)
You should consider the Wells Milo as well, when looking for an affordable endgame amp

Dec 29, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #1,934 of 2,477
I'm planning to buy Lavricables Grand cable for my Audeze LCD-4z headphones. I have Chord Hugo TT2 as my DAC/headamp and I'm thinking if I should have the cable with the 6.3 jack or go for the double 3-pin XLR option and use the TT2 preamp section for driving the LCD-4z. Did anyone try connecting them to balanced XLR output of Hugo TT2 and comparing it with the unbalanced jack output? Any difference? Which sounds better? Thank you.

Dec 29, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #1,935 of 2,477
I haven’t tried connecting balances to my TT2 but I can tell you the 6.3 from the TT2 is enough and drives them very well. But what I have started doing is terminating my cables with 4 pin mini connectors so I can easily switch between 3.5/6.3/XLR/2.5 terminated connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back