Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
May 5, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #856 of 2,477
has anyone compared the 4z with the abyss diana phi? I recently sold my 4z and regret it but want to take this chance to try other totl cans

I wish I could help you. But I’ve never heard any headphones by Abyss. I feel like all of their headphones are way overpriced and have serious comfort issues. The Diana was just a failure with those small earpads and awkward headband.

May 5, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #858 of 2,477
any idea if the original lcd-4 (well amped) sounds as good or even better than the lcd-4z? (for "stationary" studio use only)

i found some measurements that show the lcd-4 has an slightly faster impulse response, when well amped, so i guess it could affect the tonal balance of the lcd-4 to the less "laid-back" side (and/or better HF qualities) in comparison to the 4z?

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #859 of 2,477
I feel like my 4z would get much more head-time if the carbon fiber headband fit my head the way it was intended to. Being a bald guy, I feel I don't have the padding necessary to keep a gap between the leather strap and the carbon fiber.

Has anyone modded their headband to allow for this? ... Moreover, I feel if I was to shorten the leather strap, I would need longer rods (already on the largest setting, even if I'm on the lowest on other headphones ).

May 5, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #860 of 2,477
I feel like my 4z would get much more head-time if the carbon fiber headband fit my head the way it was intended to. Being a bald guy, I feel I don't have the padding necessary to keep a gap between the leather strap and the carbon fiber.

Has anyone modded their headband to allow for this? ... Moreover, I feel if I was to shorten the leather strap, I would need longer rods (already on the largest setting, even if I'm on the lowest on other headphones ).

I wonder if the steel suspension headband would be more comfortable for you? You could always swap your stock headband for that.

May 5, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #861 of 2,477
2DD8E49A-1373-42F6-9DEC-180724C476B1.png
5FE12AE7-2BB4-409C-A8B9-A0EE6D023859.png

May 5, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #862 of 2,477
I don't have a major problem with that headband; however saying that I do wish the suspension strap was actually a suspension strap and not a piece of leather that rides on underneath the carbon fiber piece.
I will likely do the mod to get a little more clearance on the strap, but will need to order the longer extended yoke rods first. Just haven't got around to doing it yet. This is the only gripe I have with these headphones
is "why didn't they do it right to start with"? But still, it is not uncomfortable to the point it really bugs me, but for the asking price on these phones it should be 100% IMHO. As it is, the yoke rods on my set are already
fully extended out so they should have just used the extended yoke rods to start with and done the strap right to have at least a half inch of clean space between the strap and the carbon fiber piece.

Anyway the headphones are pure sonic bliss so when listening I really don't think about the strap situation until I take them off, then it bugs me every time I look at the strap. Oh well.

May 5, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #863 of 2,477
I would say that by the time 500 hours rolls around they will be fully matured and eargasmically reproductive. LOL

May 5, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #864 of 2,477
I don't have a major problem with that headband; however saying that I do wish the suspension strap was actually a suspension strap and not a piece of leather that rides on underneath the carbon fiber piece.
I will likely do the mod to get a little more clearance on the strap, but will need to order the longer extended yoke rods first. Just haven't got around to doing it yet. This is the only gripe I have with these headphones
is "why didn't they do it right to start with"? But still, it is not uncomfortable to the point it really bugs me, but for the asking price on these phones it should be 100% IMHO. As it is, the yoke rods on my set are already
fully extended out so they should have just used the extended yoke rods to start with and done the strap right to have at least a half inch of clean space between the strap and the carbon fiber piece.

Anyway the headphones are pure sonic bliss so when listening I really don't think about the strap situation until I take them off, then it bugs me every time I look at the strap. Oh well.

I agree about the suspension thing. My MX4s are the same, the leather band is essentially pushing against the carbon fiber band. There is no suspension. Nonetheless, the MX4 is lighter and I have no comfort issues, but it makes me wonder how much even comfier they could be if Audeze would get this right.

May 5, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #865 of 2,477
A local shop lent me their abyss diana phi for some listening yesterday. The first thing I noticed was how much lighter they are. I feels like there is nothing on your head

May 5, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #866 of 2,477
I agree about the suspension thing. My MX4s are the same, the leather band is essentially pushing against the carbon fiber band. There is no suspension. Nonetheless, the MX4 is lighter and I have no comfort issues, but it makes me wonder how much even comfier they could be if Audeze would get this right.

Exactly. How hard or more expensive could it have been to just do it right to start with?!? Seems like its always something huh?

May 5, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #868 of 2,477
Are you going to compare their sound to the 4Z? Which do you like more? Are they worth the asking price?

Yes I will post my thoughts later today after more time with them. I will j say that I think I am going to end up keeping them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back