Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #676 of 2,477
Is there a way to increase the tension on the ear cups? Mine are rotating really freely. Is this just some thing that happens with use? They were quite tight a few days ago.

Mar 9, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #677 of 2,477
I haven't forgotten about you. I will post some details in a bit.
Don't worry, I'm not in a hurry. A few days ago I went to Madrid (500 kms away from home) to demo almost every headphone in existence, and after listening to the Utopias and whatnot I feel in love with the LCD Xs. Damn I even preferred my HD 800S to any other headphone exept the LCD X.

PLEASE NOTE: Every comparison was made with Sonarworks "flattening" each headphone I tried. So, being the frequency response less of a factor, things like soundstage were clearer to evaluate.

Note also that my purpose is to mix music with my headphones, so, I need a tool that sort of replaces a pair of main speakers with studio reference frequency response (flat frequency response)

While I was there, and having loved the LCD Xs so much I asked if they could give me a pair of LCD 4z's ( For which Sonarworks has just put out a calibration profile YAY! ) and they said it was "no posible amigo".

A few days ago they called me saying that they will open the brand new unit they had THERE when I was THERE so that I can try them. REALLY? I'm gonna have to go back to Madrid. SMH.

Anyway sorry for the lecture. Which headphone will be better for mixing?

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #678 of 2,477
. Which headphone will be better for mixing?

You should try out the Audeze LCD-MX4, if you haven't already. it may edge out the LCD-X by a hair for mixing.

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #679 of 2,477
You should try out the Audeze LCD-MX4, if you haven't already. it may edge out the LCD-X by a hair for mixing.
I did indeed, but not having an average calibration profile for them in Sonarworks left them out of the equation somewhat somehow, as it would not be fair to listen to the Xs calibrated and the MX4s without it. Though I have to say that I even prefered the Xs sound to the MX4s sound when not using calibration on either one. I have to say too that the LCD X reminded me of the HD 800S frequency response when not being calibrated. But when putting the calibration on DAMN! DAT BASS. It´s all I was missing on the HD 800S, just missing the imaging of the 800S. What a beautiful world headphones are. No acoustics involved, portable... ahh man my fanboyism is outgrowing my expectations haha

By the way... how has driver failure been lately on these models? It scares me and makes me want to go with the Xs rather than the 4zs just in case they crap out on me.

Mar 9, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #680 of 2,477
I did indeed, but not having an average calibration profile for them in Sonarworks left them out of the equation somewhat somehow, as it would not be fair to listen to the Xs calibrated and the MX4s without it. Though I have to say that I even prefered the Xs sound to the MX4s sound when not using calibration on either one. I have to say too that the LCD X reminded me of the HD 800S frequency response when not being calibrated. But when putting the calibration on DAMN! DAT BASS. It´s all I was missing on the HD 800S, just missing the imaging of the 800S. What a beautiful world headphones are. No acoustics involved, portable... ahh man my fanboyism is outgrowing my expectations haha

By the way... how has driver failure been lately on these models? It scares me and makes me want to go with the Xs rather than the 4zs just in case they crap out on me.

The LCD-X and the MX4 did sound extremely close on my rigs, which is what pushed me to replace the MX4 with the LCD-4. As for driver failure, I have never experienced any before, although i have had the -X for three years now, and it has been through a lot of heavy use. I have also not experienced any from the relatively more recent LCDi4, and the LCD 4, Knock on Wood.

Still, Audeze Customer Service is excellent with the assistance it provides, should "driver failure" become an issue, so I try not to lose too much sleep over that. I do realize it could be more of a PITA if one is located overseas and has to ship the HP back to California for repairs, though.

Mar 9, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #681 of 2,477
The LCD-X and the MX4 did sound extremely close on my rigs, which is what pushed me to replace the MX4 with the LCD-4. As for driver failure, I have never experienced any before, although i have had the -X for three years now, and it has been through a lot of heavy use. I have also not experienced any from the relatively more recent LCDi4, and the LCD 4, Knock on Wood.

Still, Audeze Customer Service is excellent with the assistance it provides, should "driver failure" become an issue, so I try not to lose too much sleep over that. I do realize it could be more of a PITA if one is located overseas and has to ship the HP back to California for repairs, though.
I am going to send an email and figure out where I´ll have to send them if they ever need fixing. From what I read on their webpage, I kind of understood that they would get fixed in Madrid (the buyer´s country´s distributor) Sounds weird to me TBH. Oh man I hope nothing ever happens to them when I get them. I´ve been told that the MX4 was an X with tamed highs to avoid fatigue on long listening sessions, and with the body of the 4z. At this point man I feel like it´s a pick your poison kind of thing, may my choice be the 4z or X.

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #682 of 2,477
I am going to send an email and figure out where I´ll have to send them if they ever need fixing. From what I read on their webpage, I kind of understood that they would get fixed in Madrid (the buyer´s country´s distributor) Sounds weird to me TBH. Oh man I hope nothing ever happens to them when I get them. I´ve been told that the MX4 was an X with tamed highs to avoid fatigue on long listening sessions, and with the body of the 4z. At this point man I feel like it´s a pick your poison kind of thing, may my choice be the 4z or X.

I did have to send my 4Z for driver replacement and they went to California where they are made. They came back and sound great. Audeze has incredible customer service.

If there is a profile for the 4z in sonarworks I would take them over the lcd x. I love my x too but the 4z is much faster and has better transient response and a larger sound stage.

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #683 of 2,477
Has anyone else had there ear cups on the 4z become less tight with use. Mine easily swivel on the yoke now. and the can flip over so the driver faces out. I don't think that this is a big deal just want to be sure that this is a common occurrence they are really expensive. When I first got them the ear cups were stiff and did not move with out some pressure. My OCD is getting the best of me here. I am tempted to tighten the bolts but I assume that they are secured with loctite and they look like it would be easy to strip the heads on them.

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #685 of 2,477
I'm planning to get a pair of 4z. How would they sound when paired with an ifi micro bl? I used to drive a pair of abyss phi through the Ifi, but the sound distorted at high volume. Would the 4z be more efficient through the ifi?

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #686 of 2,477
Btw, you can also just EQ with stuff like APO. Its even better if you do it with audeze FR graph next to you and tailor it for that unit..

Mar 10, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #687 of 2,477
I did have to send my 4Z for driver replacement and they went to California where they are made. They came back and sound great. Audeze has incredible customer service.

If there is a profile for the 4z in sonarworks I would take them over the lcd x. I love my x too but the 4z is much faster and has better transient response and a larger sound stage.
Thanks for your impressions... What about the bass?

I really really want to get the 4z, but I don´t want to be a fool spending so much money on a headphone that´s "only" going to give me a little more than the X (both being calibrated), specially having the king of headphones in soundtage for example (HD 800S). This world is all about the extra 1% and that´s where the money, and the cost is, but you guys know that in some cases things just don´t make all the sense they should.

It scares me to think that the drivers could possibly break, as it has happened to many users. Fixing them being in Spain has got to be a nightmare, though I will make sure how I will have to proceed in case that happens.
Also, if it happens out of warranty, what would be the cost of replacing the drivers?
Are the earpads user replaceable?

I´m glad to have you guys here! Greetings!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #689 of 2,477
Has anyone else had there ear cups on the 4z become less tight with use. Mine easily swivel on the yoke now. and the can flip over so the driver faces out. I don't think that this is a big deal just want to be sure that this is a common occurrence they are really expensive. When I first got them the ear cups were stiff and did not move with out some pressure. My OCD is getting the best of me here. I am tempted to tighten the bolts but I assume that they are secured with loctite and they look like it would be easy to strip the heads on them.
See, it´s those things that make me just want to stick with the X, if it breaks, I´d just get another one and call it a day.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #690 of 2,477
See, it´s those things that make me just want to stick with the X, if it breaks, I´d just get another one and call it a day.

There are always going to be units with an issue no matter who makes them. Look at hifi man they have their share of problems. The best thing about audeze is that they stand behind their products. I am not even sure if what I am experiencing is really an issue or just how they wear in with use that is why I was asking here. Hopefully someone can share their experience.

As a side note the bass is substantially better on the 4z than the x. It is faster and has more body to it. I just tried the sonarworks app on my phone. This is not an ideal testing device but I can say that I am not a fan of what it did to the overall sound from the 4z. I didn't really like what it did with the x when I had the desktop trial either. It sounded artificial. I think that the audeze reveal plug-in sounds much more natural.

I am thinking about selling my LCD X as it may not see much use with the 4z in house. I have the clears if I want something different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back