Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
May 8, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #166 of 2,479
I believe you have to look at the measuring equipment and settings as well. Audeze FRs are only comparable to Audeze FRs so maybe that 20db dip isn't really as severe as it looks. Point I'd take home is that there is a dip vs the quantity of dip. I'm still waiting for the FR on my 4s but really curious how it will compare with Dave's 4Z.

I am equally curious. Audeze gets so much right, especially their bass and lower mids. If they figure out how to match those lower octaves with the upper octaves, it will be a game changer. They’re so close to perfection.

May 8, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #167 of 2,479
Interestingly the 800S still has a wider soundstage but placement of instruments is not nearly as precise or defined as the LCD-4. It's an amazing achievement that can possibly be attributed to the sheer speed of the super thin light diaphragms and massive magnets used in the 4. Speed gives you detail and precision. The beryllium tweeters in the Utopia sing like no others but soundstage is better and more precise in the LCD-4.

May 8, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #168 of 2,479
Interestingly the 800S still has a wider soundstage but placement of instruments is not nearly as precise or defined as the LCD-4. It's an amazing achievement that can possibly be attributed to the sheer speed of the super thin light diaphragms and massive magnets used in the 4. Speed gives you detail and precision. The beryllium tweeters in the Utopia sing like no others but soundstage is better and more precise in the LCD-4.

I love soundstage. Like I said, Audeze does so much right. The 4 sounds like it would be my dream headphone if it just had a little more upper mids and treble extension. Other than that, it really sounds perfect to me. Sigh.

May 8, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #169 of 2,479
#YOLO

May 8, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #171 of 2,479
Absolutely! I'd suggest taking the plunge with a set of LCD-X. Low impedence, exceptional bass with zero rolloff compared to the LCD-2 and 3, far less mid-high dip. Very neutral can with the same Audeze house sound ultra low and controlled bass cannon feel with lush mids and great highs. You will be missing some soundstage but you'll also have another 2800 in your pocket.

May 8, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #172 of 2,479
Absolutely! I'd suggest taking the plunge with a set of LCD-X. Low impedence, exceptional bass with zero rolloff compared to the LCD-2 and 3, far less mid-high dip. Very neutral can with the same Audeze house sound ultra low and controlled bass cannon feel with lush mids and great highs. You will be missing some soundstage but you'll also have another 2800 in your pocket.

They’re great cans. I’ve owned them and sold them. They have maybe the best bass I’ve ever heard but they were still too dark for me in the upper mids. The treble was pretty good too. I wouldn’t have minded a little more extension, but that’s just nitpicking now. It was really just the upper mid suck out that was a deal breaker for me. I’m a detail junkie and love a present mid range. Still, they’re great cans.

May 8, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #173 of 2,479
Interestingly my first experience with Beyerdynamics was the DT990pro 32ohm version. Hated it because it was so recessed. Got the DT880 600ohm and it's so dang neutral. Amazing they can be so different but point is too neutral can be a bad thing. I think ideal cans have some dip in the mid highs so you can listen for hours without wanting to rip them off your head. I want to be a part of the music and experience it, not analyze the heck out of it. That's the main reason I sold my Chord Hugo 2 and Mojo. Too cold and sterile for my tastes. I suppose the perfect combo for you would be the LCD-4 with the Chord Hugo 2 because it could easily compensate for the mid-high dip. That's the exact setup Audeze uses to demo the LCD-4 and I didn't care for that sound. So I'm on the fence about the dip because the 4 is so musical right now. Presentation is just about perfect but I'd imagine once they break in they will open up even more.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #174 of 2,479
They’re great cans. I’ve owned them and sold them. They have maybe the best bass I’ve ever heard but they were still too dark for me in the upper mids. The treble was pretty good too. I wouldn’t have minded a little more extension, but that’s just nitpicking now. It was really just the upper mid suck out that was a deal breaker for me. I’m a detail junkie and love a present mid range. Still, they’re great cans.
Then you would absolutely hate the 4 but a LCD-X with a Chord Hugo 2 might do the trick for you. Sometimes you gotta DAC roll.

May 8, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #175 of 2,479
Looking at compensated responses beyond 2kHz can be very misleading and will drastically change based on the compensation curve used. Most headphones will drop after 1kHz. Comparisons can only be made for headphones measured of other headphones on the same rig using the same compensation curves. Even there ,beyond 2kHz, measurements have to be be used cautiously, as what we have seen and shown that what we see in graphs is not what we always hear.

Statements such as 'There is a huge dip in the 1-5kHz region' based on graphs is plain wrong. LCD-4 follow the ideal response up to 3kHz. Beyond 2-3kHz, it is very hard to trust measurements, and there is a good deal of subjectiveness. That said, LCD-4 is as close to a natural presentation as it gets, and I would not adjust beyond 2dB in the upper-mids to accommodate for personal preferences.

I understand one would like less or more energy in different parts of the spectrum and that is personal preference, and there is no single headphone that would please everyone. There is no wrong or right, and one needs to choose the cans that make him/her smile.

May 8, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #178 of 2,479
If you want your ears to bleed from mids-highs.... that's the ticket.

May 8, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #179 of 2,479
One point about the Hugo 2. I found it to be cold and sterile with headphones but for all I know it could be amazing with speakers. I've seen vids about the new qutest and hugo 2 being used for high current super high end speaker systems so it's possible all of that detail can be appreciated in a large room with the right speakers. It was too much for my ears, I'm happier with Schiit multibit.

May 8, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #180 of 2,479
One point about the Hugo 2. I found it to be cold and sterile with headphones but for all I know it could be amazing with speakers. I've seen vids about the new qutest and hugo 2 being used for high current super high end speaker systems so it's possible all of that detail can be appreciated in a large room with the right speakers. It was too much for my ears, I'm happier with Schiit multibit.
Here is a composite I made that includes the FR of the pictured Audeze LCD4Z.
https://imgur.com/a/JSd3n3F

For sources of the images, see the original Reddit thread I replied to here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/59d3mv/got_my_lcd3_back_from_audeze_finally_asked_them/

JSd3n3F

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back