Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #1,096 of 2,477
Forget Hugo 2 plus mscaler you can’t go dual bnc and get the magic highest output.

Misinformation. Of course you can do dual BNC with the Hugo2 and get the full M scaler output, but you need an adaptor.

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #1,098 of 2,477
An adaptor!!!

Not misinformation

who would use a adaptor this day and age?

Plenty of people. The point is the Hugo2 has dual coaxial and CAN take advantage of the full M scaler output.

Back to the 4z.

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #1,099 of 2,477
Slummin' here with my 4z and Hugo 2. Awaiting GSX Mini. Still, I am really happy with H2 and 4z combo. I guess ignorance really is bliss...

Aug 16, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #1,100 of 2,477
An adaptor!!!

Not misinformation

who would use a adaptor this day and age?

There are alot of people that run the h2 with the mscaler. Moon audio sells a dual bnc to 3.5mm dual coax cable. I used to have this setup but found that the hugo2 was just too close to the sp1000 to keep both.

Ps Rob watts himself uses the hugo2 with mscaler as a mobile setup on planes.

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #1,101 of 2,477
There are alot of people that run the h2 with the mscaler. Moon audio sells a dual bnc to 3.5mm dual coax cable. I used to have this setup but found that the hugo2 was just too close to the sp1000 to keep both.

Ps Rob watts himself uses the hugo2 with mscaler as a mobile setup on planes.

if the H2 was that close to sp1000 then Kann Cube must be on par! Therefore a much better deal

Aug 16, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #1,102 of 2,477
more info on LCD 24 from DR C

LCD-24 is quite similar as LCD4-z but with different sound signature.

LCD-24 is using LCD2 Magnetic Structure with Fluxor magnets. Magnetic Flux distribution is more linear, but magnetic induction is little lower which results in lower efficiency (1-2dB).

LCD-24 magnetic structure is more acoustically transparent which makes a little better sound resolution with slightly better imaging and wider sound stage.

Headphones are lighter for improved comfort.

Due to still high sensitivity and lower impedance, it can be used with almost any amplifier currently available on the market. Of course, our preference is The King amplifier, but we found a great synergy with Chord Hugo2.

Dr. C

money shots . better resolution imaging and soundstage and 500 less... seems like a win

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #1,103 of 2,477
The LCD-24 is the one thing giving me pause, because based on Dr. C's statement (which I have seen before), it sounds like it is a better headphone than 4z in every way.

I've given this some thought, based on what Audeze has said about the LCD-24 (calling its arrangement 'staggered'). I've tried to draw a cross-section of what I believe is the magnet arrangement of both models;

4z%2024%20comparison%202.png

(The thin black line represents the diaphragm; green lines are magnetic field lines; rectangles are Fluxor magnets.)

When comparing the two, the configuration on the left has the advantage of creating a bigger magnetic flux than the one on the right; however, the configuration on the right creates a more even flux distribution (because every point on the diaphragm is 'covered' by exactly one magnet, while on the left, some parts of the diaphragm have no coverage at all, and others are covered by 2 magnets). Also, since the gaps between the magnets are bigger on the right, it makes sense that that configuration is more acoustically transparent, i.e., less distortion will occur as the sound travels between the magnets.

Now, having said all that, I can't help but wonder whether a price has to be paid for losing some magnetic flux; I really love how detailed and fast the 4-series models sound, and in my experience, they are a step above the models with lower flux. I am curious whether the LCD-24 (given that we drive it a bit harder than we would the LCD-4z, due to lower efficiency) is indeed a slam-dunk improvement over the 4z.

Unfortunately, I cannot audition the LCD-24, as no models are given to dealers, and if I order it from Audeze, I am stuck paying close to a grand in import taxes, which I can't get back if I like it less than the 4z and end up sending it back. So, I'm dying to read some more impressions and reviews of the LCD-24. Evidently they will start shipping in about a month.

Last but not least, to lend some credence to my claims about the magnet arrangements, here are some photos of the LCD-24 and the LCD-4z that show (one side of) their magnet arrays:

4z%2024%20comparison

Aug 16, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #1,104 of 2,477
My main concern is that this produces a more linear tonal balance and less of that classic Audeze dip in the upper mids. An improved soundstage would be great too. That would make these a winner. This is the great thing about competition. Meze and ZMF are bringing it to Audeze and they have to improve their offerings or risk slumping sales.

Aug 16, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #1,105 of 2,477
My main concern is that this produces a more linear tonal balance and less of that classic Audeze dip in the upper mids. An improved soundstage would be great too. That would make these a winner. This is the great thing about competition. Meze and ZMF are bringing it to Audeze and they have to improve their offerings or risk slumping sales.
Keep in mind that the LCD-2 has this 'staggered' magnet configuration too, yet it has a similar sound signature (according to FR response graphs, which match my experience comparing the LCD-2 to the LCD-4z). I don't imagine it will radically alter the sound signature.

I agree neutrality is something to strive for, and that more progress can be made. I also agree some Audeze models sound a bit dark. To my ears, though, the LCD-4z, LCD-XC, and LCD-MX4 come close enough to want to use them for music production. Up until a few months ago I had no idea bass and sound quality like this were even possible in a headphone, so I'm still a little blown away by all of this stuff!

Aug 16, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #1,106 of 2,477

Exactly. And they still need to work on comfort, weight, and an earpad system that doesn’t use glue or adhesive! I’m sorry but it’s not that hard to adopt or invent a system that makes it easy to swap earpads. (Thank you Ultrasone and Meze).

Aug 16, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #1,107 of 2,477
Exactly. And they still need to work on comfort, weight, and an earpad system that doesn’t use glue or adhesive! I’m sorry but it’s not that hard to adopt or invent a system that makes it easy to swap earpads. (Thank you Ultrasone and Meze).
One hundred percent on that. In that regard Audeze needs to get into the modern age. Meze and ZMF have shown that pad changes can instantly help you customize your sound. The glued on pad thing is so early 2000. There is no going back on being able to swap out your pads easily at this point.

Aug 20, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #1,108 of 2,477
OK here is my QUICK first take on the LCD 24 VS the LCD 4Z

I am testing both side by side on mscaler + TT

Also got serial #1 with a nice note from Dr C.

keep in mind the LCD 24 has not been broken in the 4Z has at least a couple hundred hours on it.

LCD 4Z is quite a bit more meatier sounding.

24 has a more resolution. However I am treble sensitive and like meatier.

Going back and forth I tend to want to sink into the 4Z more... however the 24 is very nice.

Again this is a 1st quick comparo.... and TBH would really need these guys to be broken in for a couple hundred hours to do a true comparo.

Overall sound sig is very similar.

Direct out of box LCD 24 I prefer the 4Z as of now.

24 require more volume to match 4Z as well.

lets burn these in a bit... I am sure some would prefer this sig. TBH in my VERY EARLY opinion I like the 4Z quite a bit more.

Will do some blind tests with friends that are clueless.

continuing to update this...

the 24 are indeed brighter than the 4Z... 4Z darker and meatier. seems like a little more air on the 24... but this could be an artifact of a less meatier sound

vocals seem to have a wee bit more pop on the 24.

this is a close one guys. this hobby is not for the obsessive compulsive!

this is really going to come down to a personal pref. either 1 is a winner.24z.jpg 24z2.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #1,110 of 2,477
Are you going to give the 24 a whirl?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back