Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #632 of 2,477
Welp, got my 4z's today to check out. I have a few days to decide if I want to keep them or go back to my 4's. We'll see what happens but so far I'm impressed. Lighter, more comfortable, and sound great.

Dec 13, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #633 of 2,477
Hi again, folks. New question for today: I noticed that the highs can be a bit hot/sharp to my somewhat sensitive ears in a way that the more laid back LCD-4's are not. As these LCD-4z's are fresh out of the box, is this something that I can anticipate cooling down as they are used (burn-in)? Or is this something I might have to hope to get used to? Some of my content actually felt a bit "shouty" if you will, in places where it just never is on my LCD-4's.

I really like their weight, comfort and style over my LCD-4's (the ported headband strap is heaven-sent compared to the original thin band), but not at the expense of a sometimes uncomfortable listening experience. Thoughts?

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #634 of 2,477
Hi again, folks. New question for today: I noticed that the highs can be a bit hot/sharp to my somewhat sensitive ears in a way that the more laid back LCD-4's are not. As these LCD-4z's are fresh out of the box, is this something that I can anticipate cooling down as they are used (burn-in)? Or is this something I might have to hope to get used to? Some of my content actually felt a bit "shouty" if you will, in places where it just never is on my LCD-4's.

I really like their weight, comfort and style over my LCD-4's (the ported headband strap is heaven-sent compared to the original thin band), but not at the expense of a sometimes uncomfortable listening experience. Thoughts?

You might try an all copper cable. The 4z stock cable is a silver-plated copper cable, which can tend to be a bit more treble-forward than a pure copper one.

I'm also quite treble sensitive and do not notice treble sharpness with the cable I'm using.

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #635 of 2,477
You might try an all copper cable. The 4z stock cable is a silver-plated copper cable, which can tend to be a bit more treble-forward than a pure copper one.

I'm also quite treble sensitive and do not notice treble sharpness with the cable I'm using.
funnily enough, I am using an all-copper Corpse Cable which arrived the same day.

But it's just the first 24 hours for me. We'll see how it goes. Thank you for the feedback.

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #636 of 2,477

I had this same experience when going from LCD-2 to LCD-3F (2016), and once again when going from the LCD-3 to the LCD-4z.

Especially the second time it was quite bad, and I couldn't listen to some types of music, but it gradually got better and after two months or so it wasn't noticeable anymore (I did notice improvements way earlier then two months).

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #637 of 2,477
I had this same experience when going from LCD-2 to LCD-3F (2016), and once again when going from the LCD-3 to the LCD-4z.

Especially the second time it was quite bad, and I couldn't listen to some types of music, but it gradually got better and after two months or so it wasn't noticeable anymore.
Understood. Unfortunately my window of trying these before having to make a decision between them and my LCD-4's is only about a week, so if I stick with these it'll have to be on faith that it will get better for me down the road. Here's hoping I can either adjust to them or that they mellow out by this time next week. lol.

Thanks for the insight. I'm glad I wasn't alone in this initial experience. It's not sibilant at all; it's just sharp/hot at times.

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #638 of 2,477

I had the same problem. I cannot tolerate bright or piercing highs. Someone advised me to replace my Hugo2 with an R2R non oversampling dac and all my problems disappeared. Now I use Metrum Acoustics DACs both in my main system and with my headphones set up.

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #639 of 2,477
I had the same problem. I cannot tolerate bright or piercing highs. Someone advised me to replace my Hugo2 with an R2R non oversampling dac and all my problems disappeared. Now I use Metrum Acoustics DACs both in my main system and with my headphones set up.
Interesting. I'll look into it but have been really happy with my Chord 2Qute. Not sure I would want to make a major change in my chain right now. I will take it underadvisement and if I get an opportunity in the next week or so to try it with a different DAC, I will do so. Thank you.

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #640 of 2,477
My experience was that it was sharp/painful at sudden peaks of ~3500Hz. I use a Burson Conductor with a Sabre DAC, so that might be the problem. My ears/brain/headphones have adjusted by now anyway.

Dec 13, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #641 of 2,477
Using Hugo 2, my experience with the 4z was that it took some listening time to have the bass come in fully like it is now. The detail and airiness [sparkle] was always there from the beginning but absolutely no sibilance or harshness on the top end. I have read of some peeps who considered the H2 to be a little too "energetic" or high-strung or simply bright, but that has definitely not been the case IMHO. So either there is really good synergy between the 4z / i4 and Hugo 2, or by fortunate accident it all just sounds really sweet to my ears. Double surprising that the setup is single-ended thru. At any rate, I would definitely NOT consider 4z to be prone to delivering harsh treble in any way at all. My .02 YMMV blah blah.

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #642 of 2,477
I s
Using Hugo 2, my experience with the 4z was that it took some listening time to have the bass come in fully like it is now. The detail and airiness [sparkle] was always there from the beginning but absolutely no sibilance or harshness on the top end. I have read of some peeps who considered the H2 to be a little too "energetic" or high-strung or simply bright, but that has definitely not been the case IMHO. So either there is really good synergy between the 4z / i4 and Hugo 2, or by fortunate accident it all just sounds really sweet to my ears. Double surprising that the setup is single-ended thru. At any rate, I would definitely NOT consider 4z to be prone to delivering harsh treble in any way at all. My .02 YMMV blah blah.
I second that. I have never heard significant sibilance on the 4z thru Hugo2. Even on really bad recordings. If anything I'd even rarely wish to have more energy in the upper register. I suspect it all really comes down to personal preferences and differences in ear anatomy and hearing.

Guy

Dec 14, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #643 of 2,477
What would be a consensus view on a dac at upgrade time? Yggy some other variant of R2R ladder? Not wanting to get into a Sabre chip.
Not that Hugo 2 gets replaced or supplanted any time soon, just thinking about a full size system with either a GSX Mk2 or Violectric V281 for the balance thru.
I think either one of those SS amps would be sweet. Ya know how audiophiles tend to be...

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #644 of 2,477
I s

I second that. I have never heard significant sibilance on the 4z thru Hugo2. Even on really bad recordings. If anything I'd even rarely wish to have more energy in the upper register. I suspect it all really comes down to personal preferences and differences in ear anatomy and hearing.

Guy

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I was not referring to the Hugo2 - lcd4z combination specifically. Rather, my comment was about a general way of toning down the sound. I suffer from tinnitus and I am extremely sensitive to bright and piercing sound. Replacing the Hugo2 with Metrum Acoustics Onyx has been a godsend to me.

Dec 20, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #645 of 2,477
Just wanted to thank you all for the 4z feedback. I did end up sending them back and getting my LCD-4's back. With the chain I have, the 4z's were just clearly not a good match. I don't have a real reason to believe those highs that were bothering me would become less uncomfortable with time, and I wouldn't want my ears to get used to it if they even could. I most certainly preferred the weight of the 4z's and the thicker vented leather headband strap is decidedly more comfortable than the older, thin headband strap my LCD-4's have and I'll have to buy a replacement strap soon. Like, night and day difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back