Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #2,356 of 2,479
I still love my 4z. Many tens of thousands of hours on it. Unfortunately a long time ago I got the bright idea (not) to try a set of Dekoni fenestrated pads on the headphone drivers. Once the stock pads are removed, it seems to be impossible to put them back using Audeze method of attachment, which is double-sided adhesive tape rings. The pads will not stay on. And the adhesive gets gummy sticky and nasty. I basically ruined my 4z by doing that. Still sound beautiful, but the pad thing sucks badly.

So I just got the Meze Elite. And these are beyond belief awesome. Not quite as tonally dark as my 4z, MUCH better sound stage, imaging is incredible, extremely comfortable etc. Keepers for sure. I will somehow get the pads to stay on my 4z, but not super inclined to tackle the goo-ey mess again (4th time). Would actually prefer to just send them in but service guy I talked to did not sound too enthused abiut that. I understand why. It really is a huge PITA.

DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE PADS ON AUDEZE HEADPHONES.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #2,358 of 2,479
I still love my 4z. Many tens of thousands of hours on it. Unfortunately a long time ago I got the bright idea (not) to try a set of Dekoni fenestrated pads on the headphone drivers. Once the stock pads are removed, it seems to be impossible to put them back using Audeze method of attachment, which is double-sided adhesive tape rings. The pads will not stay on. And the adhesive gets gummy sticky and nasty. I basically ruined my 4z by doing that. Still sound beautiful, but the pad thing sucks badly.

So I just got the Meze Elite. And these are beyond belief awesome. Not quite as tonally dark as my 4z, MUCH better sound stage, imaging is incredible, extremely comfortable etc. Keepers for sure. I will somehow get the pads to stay on my 4z, but not super inclined to tackle the goo-ey mess again (4th time). Would actually prefer to just send them in but service guy I talked to did not sound too enthused abiut that. I understand why. It really is a huge PITA.

DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE PADS ON AUDEZE HEADPHONES.
You do have to remove most of the old adhesive, and if the pads lose a lot of material with removal, then yes, you'll have to buy a replacement earpad at some point.

We would also be more than happy to get your headphones in and attach the earpads for you. All you would have to do is pay to ship to us, and the purchase of new earpads if your old earpads are too mangled up on the adhesive end.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Oct 28, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #2,359 of 2,479
Hey guys, hoping you can help me out. I am considering purchasing an LCD-4z or an LCD-3. I was wondering if anyone here has had a chance to hear the latest versions of both headphones (whatever those may be), can you please provide a description of what they both sound like comparatively speaking and what one does vs the other? I do own an LCD-X (2021) and have had a chance to hear the LCD-2C as well as have a very brief audition with the LCD-3 (which I really really liked!) but I wonder if the LCD-4z would be the next and better path forward for me.

Thank You!

Oct 28, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #2,360 of 2,479
I have the 4z and while it is not the very latest (if indeed they have done any driver changes etc. which I am not aware of) I would personally go for the 4z. It is a little lighter in weight, which helps considerably with long-duration listening sessions, and I also think the 4z is sonically improved from the LCD3. I also owned a LCD3 pre-fazor back in the day, such an awesome headphone. Anyway, I would strongly consider the 4z. IMHO

Oct 28, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #2,361 of 2,479
Hey guys, hoping you can help me out. I am considering purchasing an LCD-4z or an LCD-3. I was wondering if anyone here has had a chance to hear the latest versions of both headphones (whatever those may be), can you please provide a description of what they both sound like comparatively speaking and what one does vs the other? I do own an LCD-X (2021) and have had a chance to hear the LCD-2C as well as have a very brief audition with the LCD-3 (which I really really liked!) but I wonder if the LCD-4z would be the next and better path forward for me.

Thank You!
The LCD-4z's is better than the the LCD-3's in just about every sonic category. My upgrade path was the LCD-3's to the LCD-4's. Then to the LCD-4z's to the LCD-5's. This was before settling on the LCD-4's in the end. The LCD-4z's are definitely the next step in your journey. The updated pads on the latest version of the LCD-4z's really help balance out the sound signature. Lessening the upper midrange/lower treble dip.

The LCD-3's are thicker sounding throughout the bass and midrange. They sound slower than the LCD-4z's, but at the same time meatier. The LCD-4z's are more linear in the bass with more bass definition, layering, and grip. The midrange is cleaner and clearer sounding with staying musical and detailed. The LCD-4z's sound more open with a much better sense of space around the instruments improving on the imaging of the LCD-3's. The LCD-4z's are the way to go.

Oct 29, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #2,362 of 2,479
I have the 4z and while it is not the very latest (if indeed they have done any driver changes etc. which I am not aware of) I would personally go for the 4z. It is a little lighter in weight, which helps considerably with long-duration listening sessions, and I also think the 4z is sonically improved from the LCD3. I also owned a LCD3 pre-fazor back in the day, such an awesome headphone. Anyway, I would strongly consider the 4z. IMHO

I 'upgraded' my LCD-4z which was NOS from 2018 (bought in 2020) to 2021 version. The changes are the swap from yellow magnesium grilles to copper, larger mesh grilles and earpad swap. To my best knowledge, no changes to the driver have been made.

Newer version fixed the dip in the upper mids as @Slim1970 highlighted. Most sonic improvements seem to be attributed to the earpad swap found on the newer version, even though I think the new grilles had a small part to play in that.

Oct 29, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #2,363 of 2,479
I 'upgraded' my LCD-4z which was NOS from 2018 (bought in 2020) to 2021 version. The changes are the swap from yellow magnesium grilles to copper, larger mesh grilles and earpad swap. To my best knowledge, no changes to the driver have been made.

Newer version fixed the dip in the upper mids as @Slim1970 highlighted. Most sonic improvements seem to be attributed to the earpad swap found on the newer version, even though I think the new grilles had a small part to play in that.
Yes, the combination of the new grilles and pads made all the difference in the world to improving the sound signature of the LCD-4z’s.

Oct 29, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #2,364 of 2,479
Interesting the news about the revised pads. My 4z on its way to Audeze now to have the pads re-installed, sent email to John requesting pricing to put the new pads on at that time. That fix for the mids dip would likely increase sound stage a bit as well I think. Should be interesting. Glad I found out about the new pads in time.

Oct 29, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #2,365 of 2,479
Yes, the combination of the new grilles and pads made all the difference in the world to improving the sound signature of the LCD-4z’s.
The grilles have no impact on the sound - as stated by Audeze themselves numerous times. I wish people would stop saying this. That’s not to say that there wasn’t some other iterative change at the same time the grills were implemented that impacted the sound. The grills categorically didn’t change the sound and were implemented a long time ago.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #2,366 of 2,479
The grilles have no impact on the sound - as stated by Audeze themselves numerous times. I wish people would stop saying this. That’s not to say that there wasn’t some other iterative change at the same time the grills were implemented that impacted the sound. The grills categorically didn’t change the sound and were implemented a long time ago.
You saying it was purely a cosmetic change?

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #2,367 of 2,479
You saying it was purely a cosmetic change?
Yes. Audeze needed to source new materials and in addition there was some slight discolouration over time to the yellow grills.

The ‘new’ grills were implemented a couple years ago. Long before the pad swap.

The LCD4 grills also changed from mesh to wire. Again this didn’t impact the sound quality - according to Audeze.

The truth or the matter is that every 4z and LCD4 is slightly different. If you don’t believe me look at various frequency responses of individual units. A lot of them vary by a good few decibels in certain areas. So what you perceive as better might be the individual unit you tested although the new pads do make a bigger difference than unit to unit variation in my opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #2,368 of 2,479
Yes. Audeze needed to source new materials and in addition there was some slight discolouration over time to the yellow grills.

The ‘new’ grills were implemented a couple years ago. Long before the pad swap.

The LCD4 grills also changed from mesh to wire. Again this didn’t impact the sound quality - according to Audeze.

The truth or the matter is that every 4z and LCD4 is slightly different. If you don’t believe me look at various frequency responses of individual units. A lot of them vary by a good few decibels in certain areas. So what you perceive as better might be the individual unit you tested although the new pads do make a bigger difference than unit to unit variation in my opinion.
Got it, good info. Audeze is known to make incremental upgrades on their products. The end results are always an improvement to the sound quality of their headphones. So I don't mind it at all. I had my LCD-4's and LCD-24's outfitted with the new pads and these two headphones have never sounded better.

Oct 29, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #2,369 of 2,479
They look nicer, ergo they sound better…:) I love my 4z just as they are. No complaints about their sound. In fact, I think they are highly underrated against the big boys currently on the market. They are my favorite headphone I own. The synergy with my amp and DAC is truly special.

Oct 29, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #2,370 of 2,479
They look nicer, ergo they sound better…:) I love my 4z just as they are. No complaints about their sound. In fact, I think they are highly underrated against the big boys currently on the market. They are my favorite headphone I own. The synergy with my amp and DAC is truly special.
I prefer my 4z to my LCD4. Ultimately I can extract more out of the LCD4 and they continue to scale where as the 4z has somewhat of a ceiling but I can reach it’s true potential much quicker and more easily.

The 4z is technically faster than the LCD4 to my ears, it has a blacker background and a stronger centre image where as the LCD4 is a touch wider and more euphoric / smoother. I hear the 4z more accurate throughout the mids.

The 4z is certainly underrated and it gets a lot of crap from the LCD4 camp. It should of never of been marketed as an easier to drive LCD4 but a stand-alone product. It’s badass.

The future is in efficient headphones... not TOTL headphones that require nuclear reactors to run and several other boutique devices in your chain to sound it’s best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back