Audeze LCD-4
Mar 26, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #10,966 of 11,994
Hi, excuse my dropping in on everyone with my post... LCD-4 is on the way, very much looking forward to comparing it to my current headphones. Since the Raals seem to me to be a bit weak in the bass, will be fun to re listen to the entire library. Hoping it does well with classical and classic rock as well.
"Um, I'd like a hotel room for less than an hour please to try something out. Do you have an isolated room also? And do you have an ATM? I need to get some cash for the fee they charge. What? You're not that kind of hotel? No, honestly that's not what I'm talking about!!!"

Congratulations on getting an LCD 4!

I think the gear you are running has a massive effect on how the LCD 4 performs as it will scale to the amp/dac you are running more than most headphones. I listen to a bit of jazz and acoustical music and the detail, timbre of the instruments is amazing. In regards to rock, I very much prefer to turn on the Audeze LCD 4 preset EQ in the Roon DSP as it gives me more energy in rock music but I turn it off for all other music genres. I have the Cayin HA-3A and it has expended the soundstage which was the most disappointing part of the headphone and the level of detail I can hear now is unreal compared to the Topping A90D.
Thanks! Can‘t wait. My chain is average, I think. Been running the RAAL off of a pass labs Int-250, which sounded quite ok. But wanted something more desktop-oriented, so bought a friend's SPL phonitor xe, no idea if it'll be a good match, though. Hope so. Will have to research the Cayin HA-3A... but that's dangerous 😉

Mar 26, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #10,967 of 11,994
Hi, excuse my dropping in on everyone with my post... LCD-4 is on the way, very much looking forward to comparing it to my current headphones. Since the Raals seem to me to be a bit weak in the bass, will be fun to re listen to the entire library. Hoping it does well with classical and classic rock as well.
Howdy Lokust, and welcome to the forum! Congratulations on picking up a pair of LCD-4 headphones. I picked mine up about 6 months ago for the same reason as you, the previous phones that I had tried, while quite excellent, just didn't quite cut it in the bass department (I'm a life long bass player), and the LCD-4 have not dissapointed, although I do use a fair amount of EQ to get them where I like. The thing is, they do take EQ very well. I'm using the 10 band EQ in a Wiim Pro streamer, and with a bit of a bump in the bass at 31 hz, 125, and 250, and at 4 khz and 8 khz, I've got a sound that works well for jazz, classical, pop, vocals, and classic rock.

In any case, I hope you enjoy your set as much as I'm enjoying mine. Have fun, and do let us know how it goes when they arrive : )

Mar 27, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #10,968 of 11,994
Congratulations on getting an LCD 4!

I think the gear you are running has a massive effect on how the LCD 4 performs as it will scale to the amp/dac you are running more than most headphones. I listen to a bit of jazz and acoustical music and the detail, timbre of the instruments is amazing. In regards to rock, I very much prefer to turn on the Audeze LCD 4 preset EQ in the Roon DSP as it gives me more energy in rock music but I turn it off for all other music genres. I have the Cayin HA-3A and it has expended the soundstage which was the most disappointing part of the headphone and the level of detail I can hear now is unreal compared to the Topping A90D.
Yep, I think if you're willing to brave the EQ frontier, you just might be at your endgame.

I cannot wait until the B&K 5128 measurements make their way to AutoEQ!

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #10,969 of 11,994
The LCD4 is the best headphone I've ever owned, or heard. Tonality-wise, just right for my tastes. However, my main problem with them is the somewhat laidback/polite presentation-- I find that I often end up turning them up in order for the sound to meet me, and I end up listening too loudly, where I sometimes end up with some ringing in my ears. A factor is probably my own sensitive ear issues (a fissure of the tympanic membrane a couple decades ago, still leaves a sensitivity). But also, the low distortion-- everything is so clean sounding, it's very easy to want to play it loud. I have to watch it when I use them.

But oh, man-- the tone is just magnificent. I can't describe it adequately. Liquid, luscious, caramel sweetness. Yet extraordinarily articulate without being fatiguing (except for my own aforementioned issues).

Of course there is the infamous weight and girth and all that, but-- the sound rules!

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #10,970 of 11,994
However, my main problem with them is the somewhat laidback/polite presentation-- I find that I often end up turning them up in order for the sound to meet me, and I end up listening too loudly, where I sometimes end up with some ringing in my ears.
Yeah, ditto. I tend to fiddle with the volume pot a lot when switching tracks. I keep bumping the volume up a little bit at time, particularly on rock tracks, or just generally tracks where I want more mids...then I hit a V-shaped electronic track and realize how loudly I was listening...
I think my EQ affects this. I have a -4db around 1K, and +4 around 4K, which generally works well, but when one track is focussed in 1k, and the next in 4k, of course it sounds like someone just turned up the volume.

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #10,971 of 11,994
Howdy Lokust, and welcome to the forum! Congratulations on picking up a pair of LCD-4 headphones. I picked mine up about 6 months ago for the same reason as you, the previous phones that I had tried, while quite excellent, just didn't quite cut it in the bass department (I'm a life long bass player), and the LCD-4 have not dissapointed, although I do use a fair amount of EQ to get them where I like. The thing is, they do take EQ very well. I'm using the 10 band EQ in a Wiim Pro streamer, and with a bit of a bump in the bass at 31 hz, 125, and 250, and at 4 khz and 8 khz, I've got a sound that works well for jazz, classical, pop, vocals, and classic rock.

In any case, I hope you enjoy your set as much as I'm enjoying mine. Have fun, and do let us know how it goes when they arrive : )
If you have a collection of flac files, I'd recommend MusicBee. It has built in 15 band EQ that I have heard is really good. It can also keep the EQ applied even when using WASAPI so it will automatically play bitperfect. I just starting using it to EQ my Diana V2 and it really does help. The only problem is finding accurate measurements for the V2 haha.

Also, how does the LCD-4 bass compare to the V2 if you have heard it? I love the detail of the V2 in the bass, but I feel it lacks a bit of slam that I have heard with other headphones. Maybe I'll try to find an LCD-4 to audition haha.

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #10,972 of 11,994
The LCD4 is the best headphone I've ever owned, or heard. Tonality-wise, just right for my tastes. However, my main problem with them is the somewhat laidback/polite presentation-- I find that I often end up turning them up in order for the sound to meet me, and I end up listening too loudly, where I sometimes end up with some ringing in my ears. A factor is probably my own sensitive ear issues (a fissure of the tympanic membrane a couple decades ago, still leaves a sensitivity). But also, the low distortion-- everything is so clean sounding, it's very easy to want to play it loud. I have to watch it when I use them.

But oh, man-- the tone is just magnificent. I can't describe it adequately. Liquid, luscious, caramel sweetness. Yet extraordinarily articulate without being fatiguing (except for my own aforementioned issues).

Of course there is the infamous weight and girth and all that, but-- the sound rules!
Yeah to be honest most Audeze headphones play their best when listening to them loudly. I can remember cranking the volume on the LCD X and the LCD 4 is the same especially to activate the bass in electronic music and for energy in rock music.

Mar 27, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #10,973 of 11,994
If you have a collection of flac files, I'd recommend MusicBee. It has built in 15 band EQ that I have heard is really good. It can also keep the EQ applied even when using WASAPI so it will automatically play bitperfect. I just starting using it to EQ my Diana V2 and it really does help. The only problem is finding accurate measurements for the V2 haha.

Also, how does the LCD-4 bass compare to the V2 if you have heard it? I love the detail of the V2 in the bass, but I feel it lacks a bit of slam that I have heard with other headphones. Maybe I'll try to find an LCD-4 to audition haha.
I heard the V2 at Canjam so I cannot speak a great amount as it was very uncomfortable on my head and the short listening time I can say that the LCD 4 has far better punch and low end texture/detail than the V2. Only the AB-1266 can rival the bass against the LCD 4 and the sub-bass on the LCD 4 is better than the 1266.

Mar 27, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #10,974 of 11,994
Glad to know I'm not the only one who ends up listening too loud with the LCD-4. I fiddle with the volume pot a tonnnn. Way moreso than I ever did with my LCD2 or LCD3. I've had it for a few weeks now and I'm so glad I took the plunge by getting em. Having listened to a handful of the TOTL cans at canjam past couple years, the LCD4 is a very unique headphone and still competes with the best of em in 2023.

I still prefer them with EQ, however I don't think its 100% necessary if you have the latest pads and get lucky with a good unit. I end up having a +3 db bass shelf, -1db at 1k, +3db at ~4k, and -1db 10k high shelf. Main nitpick for me is the upper treble which can get a bit much on certain tracks. I do have tinnitus in my left ear, so it may not be an issue for some.

For the dreaded weight concern, the leather headband was touching the carbon fiber, so I ended up disassembling and shortening the leather headband. Comfort is now great and I'm able to use it for several hour listening sessions with no issues. If you do go this route of shortening the leather headband, do know that you may run out of yoke space if you have a big head. I'm on the last adjustment notch on the yokes, so you may have to get extended yokes from Audeze.

Not sure I can really add to what's already been said in the 700+ pages of this thread, but they sound phenomenal with many different genres, especially so with rock/metal/electronic. Bit shocking Audeze abandoned the LCD-4, but if I were to guess I'd say they're working on a new LCD-4 type tuning on the lcd5/mm500 design. There's still a large group of people who love the Audeze house sound! :L3000:

Mar 27, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #10,975 of 11,994
I was absolutely astonished at finding this album and I have had one of the best experiences with the LCD 4 listening to this album. Check it out!

Chingon - Mexican Spaghetti Western

ab67616d0000b273eadda4b4e3ee0b5a907f03a9

Mar 27, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #10,976 of 11,994
Thanks to everyone for chiming in. Great time reading all the input and ideas. Have been using foobar2000, but am right now giving MusicBee a try; it really packs a lot into one player. Jury is still out...

Never been a big fan of EQing music... mainly because (placeholder for eloquent, intelligent-sounding reason) ... OK, nothing comes to mind why I wouldn't EQ, other than the indisputable fact that I'm one lazy SOB. Honestly don't really know if it's my laziness or the desire to just hear the headphone and music "as is", no post-processing, so to speak. Guess I could give it a try... nah, too lazy.:smile:

Think I've already read about 500 of the 732 pages. Interesting stuff... especially the LCD-4 modification and reactions in 2016, I think it was. Good feeling I picked the right headphones, so many enthusiastic owners... makes up for my impulse buy of the HD800s a while back.

Liked Malaguena Salerosa, Se Me Paro not so much.

Try this one:
1679948371511.png

Mar 27, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #10,977 of 11,994
Never been a big fan of EQing music... mainly because (placeholder for eloquent, intelligent-sounding reason) ... OK, nothing comes to mind why I wouldn't EQ, other than the indisputable fact that I'm one lazy SOB. Honestly don't really know if it's my laziness or the desire to just hear the headphone and music "as is", no post-processing, so to speak. Guess I could give it a try... nah, too lazy.:smile:
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new LCD-4 headphones!

Being the Luddite I am, I too shared your perspective on EQing music for many years. But the combination of LCD-4 and Roon was a revelation; applying the Audeze preset in Roon completely transformed the headphones for me.

Whether you use Roon or Foobar200, the following is a useful resource: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq

Mar 27, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #10,978 of 11,994
If you’re not EQ’ing your LCD-4s you’re missing out. I think they’re tuned really weirdly but with the right EQ they’re magnificent.

I do agree though that they need to be cranked up to get the most out of them. The dynamics and bass impact kind of disappear at lower volumes. The only headphones I’ve owned they this wasn’t true for was the ZMF Atrium and to some extent the Meze Elites.

Never heard the Diana v2 but I owned the Diana TC and they were utterly lacking in dynamics and bass slam.

Mar 28, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #10,980 of 11,994

Users who are viewing this thread

Back