Audeze LCD-4
Apr 28, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #10,456 of 12,053
… ‘technical’… ‘musical’ … it is one thing to be impressed, another thing to be moved. For me, the latter is more lasting…
I can see that. The LCD-4 is the more engaging, "moving" headphone no doubt.

Apr 28, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #10,457 of 12,053
To me refinement is compromised, and that is also the definition of taste, with good taste being good compromise. In work fields the best equipment in a definitive technical sense usually costs the most, when you look at cars or watches or other things often that is just not that case, there is always some element of the performance of course but there has to be something added to the mixture to give it that je ne sais quoi special to whatever the hobby is.

I mean if we are going to talk about performance throw the LCD-5 and Susvara in as well and let it never end, one thing I can say is the guys in the Empy and Elite threads probably aren't kicking themselves over any of those, they know what they want, and they got it, chasing detail or technical performance is just that, a never-ending chase.

Here are my thoughts on the subject
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/amp...ng-in-first-post.958512/page-24#post-16907587

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #10,458 of 12,053
I owned a 1266 TC for about 3 years and have had a LCD-4 even longer. Also owned a Utopia as well as a Shangra La Jr which is very similiar to the Susvara. The TC has as much detail retrieval as any of tham and more than most. I agree with the midrange not being its strong suit. But its bass response and detail are simply the best I have heard. The LCD-4 has excellent bass as well, but a different take on it. I will leave value up to each individual, but the TC is certainly in the top tier of headphones. Some may not like its tuning but that doesn't mean it is lacking in any way.

I did sell my TC and keep my LCD-4 but more out of a desire to try something new than dislike of the TC.
Lol to me LCD-4's rich and full sounding midrange is the aspect I like the most.

Apr 28, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #10,460 of 12,053
Yeah, the midrange on the LCD4 is superb.
male vocals are ridiculous, I find intimate female vocals chilling sometimes, a bit of that is good but it's in some weird ASMR way so mostly it makes my skin crawl or sounds shrill and hurts a bit so the recession(vs Harman) you can see does make them sound farther away but for easily listening that is exactly what I want.... Guessing there are some ASMR fans out there who will tell me I am dead wrong and own an HD600 and LCD-X lol

Apr 28, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #10,461 of 12,053
New LCD4 owner here :)
The combo of HE1000se & LCD4 is basically all I need to be happy.
The LCD4 I listen to my Pro iCAN in Tube mode, Tube upgrade to WE396, for me this is a perfect match.

Apr 28, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #10,462 of 12,053
I am back on the LCD-4 train. Has anyone tried the LCD-4 with the modern smaller/curved 2020 pads?

Apr 28, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #10,463 of 12,053
I am back on the LCD-4 train. Has anyone tried the LCD-4 with the modern smaller/curved 2020 pads?
20220421_232320_HDR.jpg

Yep get it makes it alott better wider soundstage midrange forward more and I can hear more detail

Apr 29, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #10,464 of 12,053

Yep get it makes it alott better wider soundstage midrange forward more and I can hear more detail
I also have the new pads and the midrange forwardness and clarity I think it’s mostly due to your ears being now closer to the drivers thereby also minimising reflections within the pads. I still have the original pads on my 4z and the leather is somewhat softer and due to the shape the ears also sit deeper. Before the LCD4 pad swap I could mimic the effect by having the headband on the first or second notch. The further down on the headband the more room your ears have in the enclosure and thus further away from the driver. Try and see if you hear a difference - although realise first or second notch could be uncomfortable for some.

Apr 29, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #10,465 of 12,053
20220421_232320_HDR.jpg

That sounds good, other than bringing the midrange forward....I quite love it as is. :)

Apr 29, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #10,466 of 12,053
That sounds good, other than bringing the midrange forward....I quite love it as is. :)
I guess I am wondering if the new pads help the 4kHz dip that a lot of Audezes have.

Apr 29, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #10,467 of 12,053
I guess I am wondering if the new pads help the 4kHz dip that a lot of Audezes have.
I know it did on the LCD-4Z’s. I’ll have my LCD-4’s back from Audeze with the new pads on Tuesday.

May 4, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #10,468 of 12,053
Joined the LCD-4 club. Seems to have it all so far. Extremely detailed, enough bass, big but coherent soundstage, natural sounding, energy but not fatiguing at all. With Utopia and Susvara you still sometimes wanted to change headphones because either too forward (Utopia) or too smooth (Susvara) but LCD-4 could finally allow me to sell all other headphones which is what i'm looking for.

May 4, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #10,469 of 12,053
I know it did on the LCD-4Z’s. I’ll have my LCD-4’s back from Audeze with the new pads on Tuesday.
Did you install those puppies??
Joined the LCD-4 club. Seems to have it all so far. Extremely detailed, enough bass, big but coherent soundstage, natural sounding, energy but not fatiguing at all. With Utopia and Susvara you still sometimes wanted to change headphones because either too forward (Utopia) or too smooth (Susvara) but LCD-4 could finally allow me to sell all other headphones which is what i'm looking for.
I'm glad to be back in the club myself. It's definitely got that Audeze house sound, but this could be the ultimate vision of it.

May 4, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #10,470 of 12,053
Are u listening with the new pads on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back