Audeze LCD-4
Mar 8, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #10,321 of 11,994
Also consider a GSX mini used I seen some on sale here for under $1500
Strong recommend, I keep hearing different things, then I remember someone saying the Bryston BHA-1 beats the mini, also one for sale for $1,300, it comes with a freaking 20 year warranty which is crazy... But I looked up the sales history and a while back (years I mean) the MSRP was $1,300 so I am like.... I feel like I am not getting a good deal if I buy it now at $1.3k I am hoping someone who bought at 1.3k maybe even 10 years ago wants to sell one for $800 or less then I would be interested $800 Bryston BHA-1 with ~10 years warranty left....

If I go the new/newer route I would try the Soloist... unless there is something to add there :p

Mar 8, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #10,322 of 11,994
Anyone have experience with the Schitt Lokius EQ was thinking about getting one to EQ the lcd-4 with
@szore was considering getting one, is there a lokius thread? I don't like EQ or like 10 band + but a bump here or there and hardware to boot is nice.... damn now I am thinking of getting one! shame I mostly own only combo dacs and amps

Mar 9, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #10,324 of 11,994
What do u have now?
bing chilling.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #10,325 of 11,994
Enjoying Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 -> Yulong D18 -> Euforia MK I GEC6080 powers EL11 drivers (it's better with 6SN7 drivers after testing, so, "default tubes" work best) -> Audeze LCD-4.

LCD-4 doesn't sound very good on ampsandsound Agartha IMO (paired with Yulong D18 as DAC). I think the LCD-4 sound can be thick and the 300B sound might also be thick. On the Euforia MK I, which is a little brighter, you get more crisp, which ends up being really nice for the LCD-4.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #10,326 of 11,994
Well, i have LCD-3 and soloist 3x + bifrost 2 R2r. But i feel is lacking body a lot of the time even with some EQ. I too am using power amp mode, it makes them sound much better to me.

So maybe lcd-4 will over-shoot and too much body?
Or perhaps LCD-4Z be better option (i heard its slightly faster), and then guarantee theres no need for more power with soloist given the low impedance compared to LCD-4?
What do you think?
Oh I have good news haha. I decided to give 150 Hours of Burnin to my LCD-4 with too much genres like pop, hiphop and metal and pink noise. I was very angry because for me LCD4 with burson sounded meeeee... (50 hours of burnin).

Now, I cant believe the result!! Now LCD4 with soloist sounds glorious!!! Dynamics, impact, mid bass and slam!! The upper mids are more present than before burnin. It still being more airy and dynamical with thx but with soloist are in its precise point of sound.

About lcd4z, is neccesary to analize one thing. The sensitivity of 4z still being poor. Eventhough impedance is less, still being neccesary to have high current source.
Nevertheless with normal LCD4 you need both things: high voltage (for the 200 ohms) and high current (for the poor sentivity).

Indeed, is very common to see maximum power output to low loads in amplifiers, but some sources have more power output to hard impedance loads (like otl amps). Then, is possible to drive LCD-4 with OTL tube amp but is not possible to drive good 4z with this kind of amplifier.

Mar 14, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #10,327 of 11,994
Anyone tested the new 2021 pads for lcd4? Is there any difference in sound?
I have lcd4 2021 year hahah. But i cannot help you because i never hear lcd4 from past years xD.

Although I have had LCD-2 2015, LCD2 PREF, LCD2 2020, LCD-X and LCD-2C from past years and they all are different in Earpads. Mean different is that some models have earpads with an open space (from air liberation) in the baSE of earpad. All lcd2 had some part without leather in the basis (But 2020 did not have it), and my lcd4 a channel that separate the pad of the chasis. About X, new LCD2 and LCD2C, the Earpads were totally attached to the base without region to air pressure exhaust.

Mar 15, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #10,328 of 11,994
@MartussDer I didn't have any issues out of the box, but I did notice something.... I want to say it was in the lower mids, which I have never heard before, admittedly I was listening to loud, but there was almost as if it was sharpness, but of course not in the lower mids.... But it did hurt and I had to lower the volume a bit I think stuff like that will clear up for sure.... never had this feeling before, I will also note though this headphone has so close to my perfect bass response, it's so much different from the LCD-3 despite both just looking flat..... wow, the detail and resolution!

About to try these on the WA7 w/WA7TP running from iFi Micro iDSD Black Label with bass boost on as pre-amp btw.... just warming up muh tubes :3

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #10,329 of 11,994
Strong recommend, I keep hearing different things, then I remember someone saying the Bryston BHA-1 beats the mini, also one for sale for $1,300, it comes with a freaking 20 year warranty which is crazy... But I looked up the sales history and a while back (years I mean) the MSRP was $1,300 so I am like.... I feel like I am not getting a good deal if I buy it now at $1.3k I am hoping someone who bought at 1.3k maybe even 10 years ago wants to sell one for $800 or less then I would be interested $800 Bryston BHA-1 with ~10 years warranty left....

If I go the new/newer route I would try the Soloist... unless there is something to add there :p
If you see a BHA-1 for about 1K, jump on it.

I would gladly pay 2K for one before putting $500 on a Burson the Bryston is that much better sounding.

My 2 cente :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 16, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #10,330 of 11,994
If you see a BHA-1 for about 1K, jump on it.

I would gladly pay 2K for one before putting $500 on a Burson the Bryston is that much better sounding.

My 2 cente :)
Gotta admit I am getting the feeling the Burson would do a similar job to my Oppo HA-1..... probably better but similar, don't get me wrong I love a high end smooth unit but I really want to test the waters and see how deep the rabbit hole goes

Mar 17, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #10,332 of 11,994
$2k for an opamp based amp? That's crazy overpriced.

Mar 17, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #10,333 of 11,994
$2k for an opamp based amp? That's crazy overpriced.
They are discrete opamps, not microchips. The only difference with it being an op-amp is that you can easily swap them out for different opamps to change the sound profile.

You are basically saying '$2k for a solid state based amp? That's crazy overpriced'.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #10,334 of 11,994
If your going to put 2 grand on a BHA why not just get a soloist GT and call it a day
Don't know if anyone can comment on this...

I will admit in the burson ecosystem I know next to NOTHING which is the same, I think, for a lot of people trying to get in, I recent figured out the reference and the performance are different.... lol

What is the hierarchy in Burson... which ones have DACs + amps.... Which one are the best buys? What are the ratings(good/bad/amazing) of the amps for the money and the quality of the DACs..... NGL I think my HDV 820 is good enough amp, but I kind of want a DAC upgrade, but if someone pointed me to a good enough burson that would be a total upgrade I would consider buying that to A/B vs my HDV 820.... I just don't know a lot about Burson, it's overwhelming... Also doesn't help I run LCD-3/LCD-4/HD800 where the LCD-3 is probably maxed out performance wise on the HDV 820, and the HD800 is literally made for it and sounds amazing, so anything I get is solely for my LCD-4... I would still probably keep my HDV 820 tbh, I love this thing so much, and just add another higher end DAC/amp

Mar 19, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #10,335 of 11,994
Don't know if anyone can comment on this...

I will admit in the burson ecosystem I know next to NOTHING which is the same, I think, for a lot of people trying to get in, I recent figured out the reference and the performance are different.... lol

What is the hierarchy in Burson... which ones have DACs + amps.... Which one are the best buys? What are the ratings(good/bad/amazing) of the amps for the money and the quality of the DACs..... NGL I think my HDV 820 is good enough amp, but I kind of want a DAC upgrade, but if someone pointed me to a good enough burson that would be a total upgrade I would consider buying that to A/B vs my HDV 820.... I just don't know a lot about Burson, it's overwhelming... Also doesn't help I run LCD-3/LCD-4/HD800 where the LCD-3 is probably maxed out performance wise on the HDV 820, and the HD800 is literally made for it and sounds amazing, so anything I get is solely for my LCD-4... I would still probably keep my HDV 820 tbh, I love this thing so much, and just add another higher end DAC/amp

Sandu gives great review of the GT even gives his brief description of the lcd-4 on the GT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back