Audeze LCD-4
Nov 13, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #9,916 of 12,029
Was there a guy maybe in Singapore that makes the grills without any text on them...anyone know if that rings a bell..was sure it was posted in this thread.

Nov 13, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #9,918 of 12,029
Here are my thoughts on my 2021 B-stock LCD-4 after one week with them. This isn’t a full review but rather highlights of the things that surprised me/stuck out to me about the LCD-4 that might be interesting to others, especially people like me who haven’t heard TOTL headphones before. For reference, the other headphones I’ve heard are: LCD-X 2021, Hifiman Arya V2, Focal Clear (OG), Sennheiser HD 6XX.

First off, my Schiit Magni 3+ clearly is not fully controlling the bass frequencies on the LCD-4. Metal571 mentioned the same thing in his review (using his Magni 3, which I believe has similar power to the 3+ around 200 ohms). On this amp the bass sounds somewhat loose and flabby sometimes; you’ll definitely want a more powerful amp for this headphone.

But even underpowered off the Magni 3+, the LCD-4’s bass is mind-blowing! The combination of extremely high detail combined with impact and dynamics is just the best. The bass is somehow thick and see-through at the same time. The LCD-4’s bass is something everyone should hear for themselves in their head-fi journey, imo. It’s the new reference point for me.

The detail across all frequencies is wild. It’s very clearly a step above the LCD-X 2021 and Arya V2, which are already quite detailed. You hear subtleties in vocals that you didn’t know were in recordings. I now know what people meant when they described the LCD-4 as being “holographic.” Vocals sound real-to-life, and it’s one of my favorite things about the headphones. As @Korean audiophile mentioned, the midrange/vocals sound sweet/creamy.

Something that surprised me: unlike my LCD-X, the LCD-4 actually has a respectable soundstage. The X’s stage is roughly the same as the 4’s on the sides, but the X has dead-spots in the stage on either side of the center image. Also, as Resolve and others pointed out, the center image on the X is pulled toward you; everything in the center feels kind of collapsed into a flat image. This wonky/uneven soundstage bothered me when watching movies and gaming using the X. The 4, however, really surprised me by having no gaps at all, and forward depth that’s proportional to the depth on either side. I think Joshua Valour pointed this out: a great reference track for soundstage spacing is U2’s Bad (live); there is an electronic sound that moves in a circle around the soundstage throughout the song. On the LCD-4, the sounds move in an even circle around your head. It’s like the Focal Clear’s stage, only wider. When watching movies/playing games on the 4, sounds track properly as objects move across the screen, which I really appreciated coming from the X.

IMO, the LCD-4, even with 2021 pads, requires EQ to get the most out of it. The default frequency response in the upper midrange/lower treble isn’t quite as good as my LCD-X 2021’s. I used the factory-measured FR graphs provided by Audeze to match the EQ of my LCD-4 to my EQ’d LCD-X (I use Resolve’s LCD-X 2021 profile V2), and I got fairly close, I think.

To sum everything up: the LCD-4 has blown me away. The bass, the detail, and the sweet/holographic vocals are addictive. For my preferences, it’s perfect in almost every way, except for one…

The famous deal-breaker for the LCD-4: the weight. And I got a “light” one at 690g, since they’ve been known to weigh in at 735g in the past. I thought I could handle it, since I use my headphones while reclining a lot, but the additional 60g over my 630g LCD-X pushed things over the edge for me. I was fine for the first five days or so, but then the 4’s started aggravating a neck condition to the point where I’m going to sell them just a week after getting them. It’s been a rollercoaster of a week with the LCD-4, haha. Time to start selling things and begin saving up for an LCD-5 :upside_down:. Anyway, if anyone wants to buy my B-stock 2021 LCD-4s, I’m selling them for the price I paid for them. They were made/sold in June 2021, so the drivers will be under warranty until June 2024.

Attachments

• 20211105_160559.jpg
    20211105_160559.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211105_144001.jpg
    20211105_144001.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211104_152539.jpg
    20211104_152539.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20211113-170440_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211113-170440_Gallery.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 0
Nov 14, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #9,919 of 12,029
Are the LCD-4 discontinued?

Nov 14, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #9,921 of 12,029
Here are my thoughts on my 2021 B-stock LCD-4 after one week with them. This isn’t a full review but rather highlights of the things that surprised me/stuck out to me about the LCD-4 that might be interesting to others, especially people like me who haven’t heard TOTL headphones before. For reference, the other headphones I’ve heard are: LCD-X 2021, Hifiman Arya V2, Focal Clear (OG), Sennheiser HD 6XX.

First off, my Schiit Magni 3+ clearly is not fully controlling the bass frequencies on the LCD-4. Metal571 mentioned the same thing in his review (using his Magni 3, which I believe has similar power to the 3+ around 200 ohms). On this amp the bass sounds somewhat loose and flabby sometimes; you’ll definitely want a more powerful amp for this headphone.

But even underpowered off the Magni 3+, the LCD-4’s bass is mind-blowing! The combination of extremely high detail combined with impact and dynamics is just the best. The bass is somehow thick and see-through at the same time. The LCD-4’s bass is something everyone should hear for themselves in their head-fi journey, imo. It’s the new reference point for me.

The detail across all frequencies is wild. It’s very clearly a step above the LCD-X 2021 and Arya V2, which are already quite detailed. You hear subtleties in vocals that you didn’t know were in recordings. I now know what people meant when they described the LCD-4 as being “holographic.” Vocals sound real-to-life, and it’s one of my favorite things about the headphones. As @Korean audiophile mentioned, the midrange/vocals sound sweet/creamy.

Something that surprised me: unlike my LCD-X, the LCD-4 actually has a respectable soundstage. The X’s stage is roughly the same as the 4’s on the sides, but the X has dead-spots in the stage on either side of the center image. Also, as Resolve and others pointed out, the center image on the X is pulled toward you; everything in the center feels kind of collapsed into a flat image. This wonky/uneven soundstage bothered me when watching movies and gaming using the X. The 4, however, really surprised me by having no gaps at all, and forward depth that’s proportional to the depth on either side. I think Joshua Valour pointed this out: a great reference track for soundstage spacing is U2’s Bad (live); there is an electronic sound that moves in a circle around the soundstage throughout the song. On the LCD-4, the sounds move in an even circle around your head. It’s like the Focal Clear’s stage, only wider. When watching movies/playing games on the 4, sounds track properly as objects move across the screen, which I really appreciated coming from the X.

IMO, the LCD-4, even with 2021 pads, requires EQ to get the most out of it. The default frequency response in the upper midrange/lower treble isn’t quite as good as my LCD-X 2021’s. I used the factory-measured FR graphs provided by Audeze to match the EQ of my LCD-4 to my EQ’d LCD-X (I use Resolve’s LCD-X 2021 profile V2), and I got fairly close, I think.

To sum everything up: the LCD-4 has blown me away. The bass, the detail, and the sweet/holographic vocals are addictive. For my preferences, it’s perfect in almost every way, except for one…

The famous deal-breaker for the LCD-4: the weight. And I got a “light” one at 690g, since they’ve been known to weigh in at 735g in the past. I thought I could handle it, since I use my headphones while reclining a lot, but the additional 60g over my 630g LCD-X pushed things over the edge for me. I was fine for the first five days or so, but then the 4’s started aggravating a neck condition to the point where I’m going to sell them just a week after getting them. It’s been a rollercoaster of a week with the LCD-4, haha. Time to start selling things and begin saving up for an LCD-5 :upside_down:. Anyway, if anyone wants to buy my B-stock 2021 LCD-4s, I’m selling them for the price I paid for them. They were made/sold in June 2021, so the drivers will be under warranty until June 2024.
Sad to hear the weight was a deal breaker, love your review btw. I haven't listened to my LCD-4'S for a week now because I sold my Soloist 3XP thinking the GT would arrive early November. BLoom Audio said they might receive the shipment next week. Keep us posted when you purchase the lcd-5 or maybe a used Susvera for slightly less 👍

Nov 14, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #9,922 of 12,029
Nov 14, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #9,923 of 12,029
Thanks for that lead.

Anyone ever get their stock grills replaced ? Price ?
I'm guessing the rear of the grills are just as buff/gloss with no laser-etched writing on rear.
Just looking at that route also, since above guy is asking $250 for the grills.
I didn't replace my grills, but I had them 'black chromed', I sent the grills to a place in California and they re-chromed them in a gloss black. It looks pretty slick and changes the overall look quite a bit. I only had one side done, so if I sell them in the future and the new owner likes the chrome they can just flip the grill over, however there will be no text of the model on it. attached are a couple of pictures the place took of them.
1636910200455.png

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #9,924 of 12,029
Just got a pair of Audeze LCD 4 custom made in the Magnesium Cups
DSC06892 EDIT RESIZE.JPG
@seamon do you mind if I ask how you're liking your custom LCD-4 in the magnesium housing? I just had to sell my regular LCD-4 after a week with it due to weight (I have a neck condition that forced my hand). I'm looking at the LCD-5 now, but a custom LCD-4 with magnesium cups looks like a great option too. Audeze lists the weight of the LCD-4z as 560g, which is a lot lighter than the 690g of my LCD-4 and the 630g of my LCD-X.

Nov 15, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #9,925 of 12,029
@seamon do you mind if I ask how you're liking your custom LCD-4 in the magnesium housing? I just had to sell my regular LCD-4 after a week with it due to weight (I have a neck condition that forced my hand). I'm looking at the LCD-5 now, but a custom LCD-4 with magnesium cups looks like a great option too. Audeze lists the weight of the LCD-4z as 560g, which is a lot lighter than the 690g of my LCD-4 and the 630g of my LCD-X.
@seamon, Wow, that thing looks really nice! It looks like the LCD-24. I read somewhere the LCD-5s more in line with a better LCD-24 than a LCD-4 so maybe the LCD-24's might be an option for you @Grizzleberry?

Nov 15, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #9,926 of 12,029
@seamon, Wow, that thing looks really nice! It looks like the LCD-24. I read somewhere the LCD-5s more in line with a better LCD-24 than a LCD-4 so maybe the LCD-24's might be an option for you @Grizzleberry?
I thought I'd heard mixed reviews of the LCD-24, but I'll have to look into those now that you mention them. I know reviewers like Metal571 and Resolve had a strong preference for the LCD-4 over the LCD-4z, for example, but I'll do some research on the 24.

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #9,927 of 12,029
For me this was the reason I went from 4 to 4Z. I cannot handle anything more than 630g... well I can withstand it for like thirty minutes but beyond this it starts to feel very uncomfortable. Also, I do like the look of the 4Z and the tuning is a bit better for my tastes (a bit more upper-mids lift), kind of like what the new pads do. The level to detail / sound quality was about the same for me so I was happy I made the switch, but yeah the 4s are a beautiful headphone. I just wish they were around LCD-2 weight

Nov 18, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #9,928 of 12,029
For me this was the reason I went from 4 to 4Z. I cannot handle anything more than 630g... well I can withstand it for like thirty minutes but beyond this it starts to feel very uncomfortable. Also, I do like the look of the 4Z and the tuning is a bit better for my tastes (a bit more upper-mids lift), kind of like what the new pads do. The level to detail / sound quality was about the same for me so I was happy I made the switch, but yeah the 4s are a beautiful headphone. I just wish they were around LCD-2 weight
Glad to hear you like the sound and detail level of your 4z. It's funny, 690g and 600g (4z weight according to b-stock units I've seen) sound similar on paper, but you're right, it actually makes a big difference in my recent experience. I agree, I love the look of the 4. If they were LCD-2 weight they would be unstoppable. I'm aiming for the LCD-5 now, but in the future (when my neck/spine situation is better), I think I'll add a custom LCD-4 with magnesium housing to my collection.

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #9,929 of 12,029
Hi, i have a pair of lcd 4 on the way and i am looking for an amp to pair them with. I notice that the auralic taurus mk2 pairs well with the lcd 3, so what are your thoughts.
Also i am looking at the Rupert Neve Precision, does anybody have any experience with these two. If not what would you recommend in the same price range.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back