Audeze LCD-4
Aug 2, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #9,527 of 12,021
Does the new CRBN electrostatic headphones require a dedicated amp for electrostatic headphones? That could get costly.
Well like any Stax/electrostat out there as well.
It uses 580V Stax Pro Bias, so it works for those already having this kind of amp

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #9,528 of 12,021
Yes. VERY COSTLY! That is holding me back. Still hoping for LCD-5.

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #9,530 of 12,021
Does the new CRBN electrostatic headphones require a dedicated amp for electrostatic headphones? That could get costly.
Sure! They have a set of recommended/suggested estat amps for it, most of which I personally cannot afford, if I am also buying the CRBN itself.

https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4405471414925

At best i could go with one of the converters, the ifi version most likely
IFI ProiESL
https://ifi-audio.com/products/pro-iesl

But I cannot tell from here how effective/sonically optimal this approach would be as compared with going with one of the amps, although I'd be using the Ifi with either a Niimbus US4 or Pathos InPol Ear, both of which are pretty solid options in non-estat hp amps.

There is certainly a lot to chew on before opting to go for this MRI... errr CDBN nanotubes ride... :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

For now, I am opting for the ringside, fence-sitting ticket on this one, until a lot of dust settles around this particular release.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #9,532 of 12,021
I am very surprised Audeze can make the CRBN to weight 300g only, quite a remarkable achievement. The LCD-4 is very comfortable for me, sure it's heavy but not as much as I thought it would bother me. I can imagine the CRBN can be worn comfortable for a very long listening session.

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #9,534 of 12,021
Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #9,536 of 12,021
The Vocé is 370 grams I believe. It feels very light, so the Audeze should be very comfortable. (Insert shocked face here).
I do own the LCD4 and find it decent for comfort, but this looks to be a huge improvement.

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #9,537 of 12,021
Naive question: Is the LCD-5 really a thing? Yet?

De we even know whether Audeze would be interested in using that designation to name the real successor of the LCD-4 or 4z?

Just asking...

Aug 2, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #9,538 of 12,021
Naive question: Is the LCD-5 really a thing? Yet?

De we even know whether Audeze would be interested in using that designation to name the real successor of the LCD-4 or 4z?

Just asking...
I really hope for them.
Look at the FR of CRBN thin, low bass and shouty. Would be better they go back to there housesound.
Take the LCD4 makes them technically better with less distortion, less weight <<500gr, more upper mids.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #9,539 of 12,021
I was thinking about the CRBN until I watched Jude's video. The terms "lean" or "leaner" are not in my audio vocabulary. Having to EQ the bass is not a good sign even if Jude said it was not all the time. The few times I have listened to an 009 left me unimpressed. I actually preferred the 007. The comparisons to the 009 pretty much put an end to my flirtation with the CRBN. I did not really want to buy another amp anyway.

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #9,540 of 12,021
I was thinking about the CRBN until I watched Jude's video. The terms "lean" or "leaner" are not in my audio vocabulary. Having to EQ the bass is not a good sign even if Jude said it was not all the time. The few times I have listened to an 009 left me unimpressed. I actually preferred the 007. The comparisons to the 009 pretty much put an end to my flirtation with the CRBN. I did not really want to buy another amp anyway.
My takeaway from the video was that if I wanted to have the latest Audeze electrostat, I would need to buy an MRI. At least it would give me the ultimate bragging rights, I don't think my friends either on head-fi or hospital-fi have one at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back