Audeze LCD-4
Oct 20, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #8,731 of 11,995
I had a pair of LCD-3 with sudden driver failure. 3 months out of warranty. I emailed and asked about having it covered under warranty. They agreed and I only had to pay shipping. Worth a try.

Oct 27, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #8,732 of 11,995
Anyone tried the Topping A90 with the LCD-4? I think it's powerful enough via balanced. I've read it's a very linear sounding amp and wondering if it pairs well or if it sounds too thin, sterile or bright.

Oct 27, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #8,733 of 11,995
Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #8,734 of 11,995
I have owned a TC, Susvara, and LCD-4 for around a year.

I have world-class electronics with a 10mhz OXCO clock on my DAC and Source.

I really must say that the LCD-4 is not one drop less than the other two. The detail is equal to the others and the transparency is superior. The weight and fullness is so so inviting.

The funny thing about the three headphones is that all of them have skewed frequency graphs- and the LCD-4 is probably the most skewed- but even though equalizing the treble largely corrects the problem, it also ruins the beauty of that deep addictive bass. The frequency response of these headphones is so skewed- but the resulting coloration is so so pleasant and enjoyable. Every time I switch to the TC I appreciate the larger soundstage and better FR but when I go back to the 4, I say to myself- wow- it is technically noticeably more off in it's heavy bass and mid with that ultra recessed treble- but the sound is so so beautiful and so so euphoric- it is just addictive. I have tried equalizing in the past with so so many programs- but in the end I feel confident that whatever corrections are made damage the euphoric beauty of the 4.

If I had to give up one I do not know which I would give up...

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #8,735 of 11,995
I don’t have the Susvara, but I do have the LCD4 and TC. Also a Raal SR1A. I agree that there is just something about the LCD4. I love the fullness of the sound. I do use the Audeze Reveal plug-in for eq. I feel it fixes some of the treble issues without taking away what I enjoy about the LCD4. My chain is top notch as well. Yggdrasil-Woo WA33. Each of the mentioned headphones has something I love. They are probably here to stay. At least until they come out with an upgraded model.

Oct 28, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #8,738 of 11,995
Agree. The Susvars is excellent but probably my least favorite. I like more meat on the bones.....

I appreciate their airy nature with excellent detail retrieval but the lack of weight is a much bigger issue to me than the 4's treble recess- which as I said earlier I am actually convinced contributes positively to the addictive tonality.

Funny- the Susvara has the most flat FR of all of them. I guess I like colour......

Oct 28, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #8,739 of 11,995
I gave up chasing frequency graphs. I found what measured the best wasn’t usually what I liked the most.

Oct 28, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #8,740 of 11,995
Anyone tried the Topping A90 with the LCD-4? I think it's powerful enough via balanced. I've read it's a very linear sounding amp and wondering if it pairs well or if it sounds too thin, sterile or bright.

It's a strong combo, A90 is hard to beat for the price. Great value amp.

_DSC7714.jpg

Oct 28, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #8,741 of 11,995
I gave up chasing frequency graphs. I found what measured the best wasn’t usually what I liked the most.
Well done! That the best you can do. What matters is your sound preference. I do the same thing.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 28, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #8,742 of 11,995

I've got one on its way - should have it, fingers crossed, delivered by end of the week. It'll take a signal from an RME ADI-2 Pro FS, for what it's worth. I'm very much banking on it not being any of those things, so I'll let you know what my experience is like.

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #8,743 of 11,995
Well done! That the best you can do. What matters is your sound preference. I do the same thing.

Me too..ears over graphs all day long!

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #8,745 of 11,995
DSCF4806.jpg

All these new toys have arrived! Chuffed like a kid in a candy store. Way too early to say anything conclusive just yet, but what I can tell you is that, compared to the LCD-4 being previously severely underpowered (Grace m9xx), holy moly does this transform things. So much music to listen to!

With regards to the Topping A90 being "thin, sterile or bright", you mileage may vary, but not to my ears. I believe the ADI-2 as a DAC is fairly well documented, and all I can say is that the Topping A90 seems to add very little (read: none that I can pick up on) colour to the mix.

For the price, it seems to be doing the thing it says on the tin, so I'm happy enough. (...) For now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back