Audeze LCD-4
Apr 8, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #8,131 of 11,995
Can anyone tell me what happens to the Reveal plugin when downloaded and installed onto a Mac Computer? Each time I have downloaded and installed one it just seems to disappear, I do not know where to locate it on the computer, since it does not show seem to up in the Applications folder, like other applications do (unless I am not looking in the right place inside the Applications folder)

The other question I have is that how do you use the Reveal plugin settings with Roon?
The Reveal plugin is a VST3 plugin that works with other applications. ROON already has Audeze presets that are the same thing as the Reveal Plugin. In your DSP settings inside ROON you can add the Audeze presets, select LCD-4, then while still in the Audeze presets towards the bottom of the screen it should say customize. That is where you can set your "wetness" 0-100 and filter type.

Apr 8, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #8,132 of 11,995
The Reveal plugin is a VST3 plugin that works with other applications. ROON already has Audeze presets that are the same thing as the Reveal Plugin. In your DSP settings inside ROON you can add the Audeze presets, select LCD-4, then while still in the Audeze presets towards the bottom of the screen it should say customize. That is where you can set your "wetness" 0-100 and filter type.

I already use Roon's Audeze presets. I guess I should have mentioned the what I am really interested in is the Reveal + plugin, and what extra stuff it does, or might do that i cannot already get from those roon presets.

So does those VST3 plugins work with Applications such as Audirvana?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #8,133 of 11,995
I already use Roon's Audeze presets. I guess I should have mentioned the what I am really interested in is the Reveal + plugin, and what extra stuff it does, or might do that i cannot already get from those roon presets.
I purchased and used the reveal+ stuff in other programs (JRiver) and unless I was using the program incorrectly... I really wasn't impressed with the results... As far as I know you cannot use VST3 plugins with ROON so if you wanted to play with it you would have to use another program to do so.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #8,134 of 11,995
has anyone compared these against hifiman HE1000SE's??? struggling to choose a winner

Apr 8, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #8,135 of 11,995
has anyone compared these against hifiman HE1000SE's??? struggling to choose a winner

I have both of them, and love them both as complements of each other, not in terms of a winner/loser stand-off, or as an either/or choice. I mean, they do not sound the same, but that's the great beauty of owning them both, as each of them brings ingredients to the table that I enjoy, in different situations, and for different types of music, or components. In that sense, not only do I not see a winner or loser, I would not be willing to let either one go, even if someone held a gun to my head, and ordered me to choose just one of them (Okay, I am exaggerating a bit, but you get what I mean). So maybe, my capacity to assist you might be limited :) ?

Apr 8, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #8,136 of 11,995

I used to have both but sold my HE1000se mainly because I found it too lacking in timbre accuracy, especially with certain instruments. I also prefer the way the LCD-4 images even though the HE1000se is probably more accurate in that department and has a larger soundstage - the LCD-4 scales more though in my experience, so if you really optimize your source gear the difference in soundstage size becomes insignificant IMO.

Apr 8, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #8,137 of 11,995
I have both of them, and love them both as complements of each other, not in terms of a winner/loser stand-off, or as an either/or choice. I mean, they do not sound the same, but that's the great beauty of owning them both, as each of them brings ingredients to the table that I enjoy, in different situations, and for different types of music, or components. In that sense, not only do I not see a winner or loser, I would not be willing to let either one go, even if someone held a gun to my head, and ordered me to choose just one of them (Okay, I am exaggerating a bit, but you get what I mean). So maybe, my capacity to assist you might be limited :) ?

thanks for the reply. let me ask you a different question then. strengths and weaknesses of each? i listen to alot of EDM and i love my arya but want to go up to the next level and its either the HE1000SE or lcd4 for me for sure :D

Apr 8, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #8,138 of 11,995
I used to have both but sold my HE1000se mainly because I found it too lacking in timbre accuracy, especially with certain instruments. I also prefer the way the LCD-4 images even though the HE1000se is probably more accurate in that department and has a larger soundstage - the LCD-4 scales more though in my experience, so if you really optimize your source gear the difference in soundstage size becomes insignificant IMO.

thanks for the reply!

Apr 8, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #8,139 of 11,995

In my case, I had the HEK SE and LCD 4z for about a year. I ended up selling the HEK SE for the exact same reasons you stated. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Apr 8, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #8,140 of 11,995

So does those VST3 plugins work with Applications such as Audirvana?
I use the plugin with Audirvana and it works great.

Apr 8, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #8,141 of 11,995
thanks for the reply. let me ask you a different question then. strengths and weaknesses of each? i listen to alot of EDM and i love my arya but want to go up to the next level and its either the HE1000SE or lcd4 for me for sure :D
I listen to a lot of EDM and I would go with the LCD4. I also have the Abyss TC and it is the best for EDM in my opinion, but the LCD4 is a close second. I demoed the HE1000 and the treble was a little hot with some EDM. And the bass just hits harder and fuller on the LCD4.

Apr 8, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #8,142 of 11,995

LCD4 is excellent w/ EDM. HEKse is just OK w/ EDM.

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #8,143 of 11,995
I see that others have preceded me, but if you're an EDM fan most of the time, then the LCD-4 is a no-brainer, as a choice between the two. I find the HeKSe to be great for certain kinds of Jazz, classical, acoustic, and orchestra music. Not that the LCD-4 is "bad" or "worse," for that kind of music. It just presents them in a different way, and I particularly enjoy its creamy mids, and the meatier, but also textured, and well-extended low-end. The HeKSe simply has a way of presenting the same material with a different kind of emphasis, and "personality," ones that I also find very pleasing sometimes. Another difference is that the HeKSE, being a lot more efficient and easier to drive than the LCD-4, necessarily plays nicer with relatively "underpowered" gear (tablets, cellphones, and some daps), whereas a relatively more powerful amp is required for the LCD-4 to do its best, but this difference is unimportant to me, when all is said and done, and is not why I hang on to the HEKse. I have other easier to drive cans as well.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #8,144 of 11,995
Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like the lcd4 is better for edm then :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

Apr 9, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #8,145 of 11,995
Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like the lcd4 is better for edm then :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

Well so far I'd say it looks that way, for now. However, to be absolutely convinced that all relevant bases are covered in this inquiry, I'd also raise the same question on the Hekse forum too, and see what most of the folks who post there also think. If there is a consensus there too, about the LCD-4 as the better choice for EDM, then the result could be deemed to be completely uncontroversial. Personally, I almost never listen to any EDM music, except when I am forced to in my car, via the FM and Satellite stations in it, when I'm driving. I do stand by my vote for the LCD-4 as the better headphones for EDM, but I arrived at that decision through a kind of intuitive deduction, and not through any real first hand experience of listening to EDMs with any headphones. My suggestion that you ask this same question on the HeKse forum, that is if you haven't already, is not meant to discredit the opinions you have already heard here. Yet given how much such choices are inevitably dependent on subjective preferences and tastes, I see it simply as a precautionary measure, that might enable you to eliminate the possibility that at least some of the results and consensus you have received so far on this forum are not driven solely or remotely by subjective preferences and usually common forms of bias that are typically linked with ownership and related expectations. Besides there might be folks there who prefer to listen to their EDM with the Hekse, and if such people do exist, I believe their views also need to be taken into account. Who knows, their preferences might align even more with your own personal preferences than the ones of those you have heard from so far on this forum, the other reason being that you really have nothing to lose in asking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back