Audeze LCD-4
Mar 25, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #8,102 of 12,022
Anyone here knows whether violectric v280 accepts both 115v and 230V? The one that I own got a “115v” label next to the IEC. But user manual and website say 115v/230v.
I am so confused.
I am also a little confused that you're raising such a question on an Audeze LCD-4 thread... Are you not more likely to find an answer on a Violectric thread?

Mar 25, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #8,103 of 12,022
You can change the voltage internally. There's a switch where you can select between 115V and 230V. It's very easy to locate.

508718.jpg

Mar 29, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #8,105 of 12,022
You can change the voltage internally. There's a switch where you can select between 115V and 230V. It's very easy to locate.

508718.jpg
Thanks for the reply. i had it changed to 230V :wink:

speaking of V280/v281, I wonder anyone here in this thread tried op-amp “rolling” with it?
stock opamps are ne5532 x2 (input), and ne5534 x 4.
they are known to be warm & tubey sounding.
I am thinking maybe something like Burson V6 vivid can make the 4 sounds more “open”.

Mar 29, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #8,106 of 12,022
Check the V281 thread. A few in there tried it.

Mar 29, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #8,107 of 12,022
Can you actually hear the "planar wall" artifact on the LCD-4 like you can on some other headphones like the LCD-2? I noticed it on the first day that I got my LCD-2 but I initially attributed it to better dynamic range. However, high piano notes in a lot of recordings sound kinda "klangy" or resonant. They don't sound right at all, like I can hear my eardrum resonate on those notes and I don't notice this effect on speakers or other headphones that are not planar. Also, some vocals (especially stuff with reverb like Enya) can sound quite aggressive on some notes. It doesn't bug me that much but it kinda makes me reconsider getting a higher end planar as an upgrade.

Of course there are a lot of people that don't hear it. I highly doubt it's an FR thing because I EQ headphones almost perfectly flat.

Mar 31, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #8,108 of 12,022
^^^Never heard anything like that either on the Lcd-4, or on the LCD-i4, or on the LCD-X.

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #8,109 of 12,022
Can you actually hear the "planar wall" artifact on the LCD-4 like you can on some other headphones like the LCD-2? I noticed it on the first day that I got my LCD-2 but I initially attributed it to better dynamic range. However, high piano notes in a lot of recordings sound kinda "klangy" or resonant. They don't sound right at all, like I can hear my eardrum resonate on those notes and I don't notice this effect on speakers or other headphones that are not planar. Also, some vocals (especially stuff with reverb like Enya) can sound quite aggressive on some notes. It doesn't bug me that much but it kinda makes me reconsider getting a higher end planar as an upgrade.

Of course there are a lot of people that don't hear it. I highly doubt it's an FR thing because I EQ headphones almost perfectly flat.

Never heard that on my previous LCD-2C or my current LCD-3 Fazor with any of my past and current DAC and amp combo.

Mar 31, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #8,110 of 12,022
^^^Never heard anything like that either on the Lcd-4, or on the LCD-i4, or on the LCD-X.
I know the LCD-4 has much better treble, especially high treble. Tyll complained a lot about the treble sucking on the lower end LCDs due to timbre. It doesn't just suck (ER4 IEMs seems to retrieve more detail in the high treble due to better clarity in some recordings despite lagging behind in technicalities otherwise) but the low treble on the LCD-2 excites my ear too much and it doesn't make any sense. There is no peak to speak of. I've looked for it and it doesn't exist. It's just a timbre artifact or an artifact of the planar driver design.

I hear it well on this song for instance, the piano notes 38s in struck at once create a ringing effect in my ear. Enya's vocals do that too. Just wondering if this happens at all on the LCD-4. Maybe it's just my hearing but I've only ever noticed this on planars.

Apr 1, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #8,111 of 12,022

What DAC have you got? Some DACs can exhibit some ringing, and certain frequencies more than others. If this is the case, I would try a different DAC of you can.

Apr 1, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #8,112 of 12,022
My Lcd4 sound awesome and I don’t experience any frequencies that require equalization. I don’t know if it’s because my phones are new or if my ears are not trained or perhaps I have a good balance of cables and gear which make my Lcd4 sound correct. I‘ve balanced the sound of my main system with cables and gear so perhaps the balance scales down to my Lcd4.

Apr 1, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #8,114 of 12,022
Can someone compare the LCD-4 to the LCD-2C and/or Hifiman Arya?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #8,115 of 12,022
I know the LCD-4 has much better treble, especially high treble. Tyll complained a lot about the treble sucking on the lower end LCDs due to timbre. It doesn't just suck (ER4 IEMs seems to retrieve more detail in the high treble due to better clarity in some recordings despite lagging behind in technicalities otherwise) but the low treble on the LCD-2 excites my ear too much and it doesn't make any sense. There is no peak to speak of. I've looked for it and it doesn't exist. It's just a timbre artifact or an artifact of the planar driver design.

I hear it well on this song for instance, the piano notes 38s in struck at once create a ringing effect in my ear. Enya's vocals do that too. Just wondering if this happens at all on the LCD-4. Maybe it's just my hearing but I've only ever noticed this on planars.

Okay, I'll let you know when I get to hook my LCD-4 to my computer and listen to the track. I have to let you know, in advance, though, that I'm aware of Tyll's misgivings about what he considered to be flaws in the treble of some LCD cans, without sharing many of those misgivings myself, especially when it comes to those cans I own (the 4, i4, and the X), although I did and do respect Tyll's opinions about other things, and considered his general contribution to the hobby to be very worthwhile. I enjoy the treble on all my LCD cans, and do not find anything to be as problematic with them, as he did. I have to add, to be fair, that I am also not an obsessive measurement fetishist who will comb all frequencies in the spectrum with a tooth comb, looking for dips, valleys, peaks, and whatnot to complain or gripe about. I just let me ears be my guide, and keep the can if it makes the music feel and sound good. If the music hurts my ears, or sounds unpleasant in anyway, then the can goes back immediately on the market. It is the way I treat all the cans I get, without exception, and there is no favoritism in favor of Audeze or any brand of cans. I recently had to let go of a pair of focal cans because I found them to be too aggressive and harsh at the top end for my ears, although many expert reviews (Including some of Tyll's) were full of praises for them, and that made me very eager to acquire them initially. In practice, I could not stand listening to them for even 5 minutes because of the unpleasantness at the top end. This is a kind of "introduction" to let you know where I'm coming from.

I shall let you know what I think when I have listened to the youtube video with my LCD-4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back