Audeze LCD-4
Feb 18, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #8,071 of 11,994
awesome...yea i first started using a speaker amp with akg1000 headphones hooked up to cary 805 mono blocks about 16 years ago ....i've been using the lcd 4 with the VAC for about 3 years.it's amazes me how the lcd 4 scaled up with the VAC.To my ears its an incredible combo...whole different level of sonic bliss.
Yeah, I started running my HE500s off of a Yamaha CA-600 a few years ago and have concluding using my Ether flow 1.1 and LCD-3 that raw, clean, controlled power is a planars best friend.

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #8,073 of 11,994
Hi all,

(update on 24/2: I brought my 4s to the local distributor that provides demo units for audition. Spent an afternoon there switching between Jot, Ragnarok and Burson CV2.

IMO, LCD-4 sound warm but a bit too intimate with Jot. Lacking resolution and separation. Soundstage also not as expanded.
Ragnarok and CV2 do a pretty good job. Differences are subtle to my ears. Ragnarok is slightly fuller warmer and offers more impact, which I prefer over CV2.

Therefore I am going to get a THX 789 coz I know for sure Jot is too far from my expectations. In addition 789 is easier to sell when I am ready for an upgrade...)

I won’t be able to afford an amp like v281/v280 in coming few months after getting myself a LCD-4 weeks ago.
Guess the best I can go with for the time being is either Schiit Jotunheim or THX AAA 789.

I understand neither of them drive the 4 to full glory, but given my very limited budget, which one would you think is a better option to get started with? and why?

Thanks for help in advance!

lawrence

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #8,075 of 11,994
I picked up a Norne Audio Silvergarde. Pure silver cable with textile multi core. Whatever that means. But I will say it is a beautiful cable with very high quality connectors. I also felt it smoothed out the top end and seemed more open. I tend to find silver plated copper to be a little bright compared to pure silver. YMMV

Mar 1, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #8,077 of 11,994
Had custom 20awg monocrystal silver with special shielding geometry done. It extended the top and bottom, widend the sounstage, improved the imaging and tonality. The stock cable sounds like a tuned coiled cable by comparison.

Care to share the details? Like the model of cable and shielding?

Neotech makes upocc silver cables mainly for internal wiring. Those would be too stiff to be used as headphone cable.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #8,078 of 11,994
Care to share the details? Like the model of cable and shielding?

Neotech makes upocc silver cables mainly for internal wiring. Those would be too stiff to used as headphone cable.

Cable has no brand as it is a custom order for personal use I got from someone else. The shielding technique helps improve imaging and width, and minimizes what was apparently interference getting in the way of the sound. Not much details can be given about the shielding.

Mar 3, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #8,081 of 11,994
I found the LCD-2 to be the darkest but probably not as detailed as you want.

Mar 4, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #8,084 of 11,994
I think the LCD3 is the ticket. I had one and sold it when I picked up the LCD4. But in direct comparison the 3 is darker overall without the sometimes peaky treble of the 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back