Audeze LCD-4
Mar 5, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #8,088 of 12,022
I prefer a near absent sun bass but good mid bass impact.
My main priority is a tamed upper mid-range and treble. I want it dark

Honestly, if that is what you want, why are you even looking at Audezes? Linear bass, with great sub-bass extension and no mid-bass hump is kind of their thing. Maybe try a AudioQuest NightHawk or ZMF Atticus or Sony Z1R instead.

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #8,090 of 12,022
How is the zmf Atticus vs verite in the tamed upper mids and treble with mid bass bump?

Well, as much as I loved the Verite, it is certainly not dark. The treble, while excellent and smooth, is quite prominent and there's no significant dip anywhere between 4 and 12khz. With the wrong amp, they can sound harsh and thin, even. The Atticus is much warmer with a big round low-end. The sub-bass is not nearly as prominent. Treble is done well, but definitely lower than the bass. It's not an absolute champ in resolution, but does very well for a dynamic when amped well. Seems like it would fit your bill nicely, especially in terms of impact and darkness.

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #8,091 of 12,022
Well, as much as I loved the Verite, it is certainly not dark. The treble, while excellent and smooth, is quite prominent and there's no significant dip anywhere between 4 and 12khz. With the wrong amp, they can sound harsh and thin, even. The Atticus is much warmer with a big round low-end. The sub-bass is not nearly as prominent. Treble is done well, but definitely lower than the bass. It's not an absolute champ in resolution, but does very well for a dynamic when amped well. Seems like it would fit your bill nicely, especially in terms of impact and darkness.
OK thanks for some reason I thought the lcd3/4 were dark up top

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #8,092 of 12,022
OK thanks for some reason I thought the lcd3/4 were dark up top

It's more that there tends to be a dip in the upper mids/lower treble, as a feature of the house sound or a characteristic of the transducer. Maybe both. After the dip, treble is present again. For some people, they hear that as dark, since there is less overall energy in the entire treble region. For others, they hear it is bright or peaky, since that dip can accentuate what treble remains. It's kind of down to personal preferences, the music one listens to, volume of listening, and a number of other factors. That's likely why there hasn't been much of a consensus on your question yet. A headphone like the Atticus has a more even FR through that area, but the level of the treble is lower overall and sweetened by the dynamic driver (all to my ears, anyway).

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #8,093 of 12,022
It's more that there tends to be a dip in the upper mids/lower treble, as a feature of the house sound or a characteristic of the transducer. Maybe both. After the dip, treble is present again. For some people, they hear that as dark, since there is less overall energy in the entire treble region. For others, they hear it is bright or peaky, since that dip can accentuate what treble remains. It's kind of down to personal preferences, the music one listens to, volume of listening, and a number of other factors. That's likely why there hasn't been much of a consensus on your question yet. A headphone like the Atticus has a more even FR through that area, but the level of the treble is lower overall and sweetened by the dynamic driver (all to my ears, anyway).
I appreciate your detailed responses, it helps me out tremendously

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #8,094 of 12,022
Huh. I found the 3 a little brighter. For me it's the 4 and the 2.
My tinnitus really hopes this is true. Still waiting for the 4s to come back from its expensive factory spa treatment.

The 3s that I have (recent fazor), paired with my current amp, are just on the edge of uncomfortable at higher volume. I long for the days of the early Fazor from 2015 where I could crank it and revel in it's lushness. Hoping the 4s are the right side of comfortable with my current setup.

Mar 5, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #8,095 of 12,022
My tinnitus really hopes this is true. Still waiting for the 4s to come back from its expensive factory spa treatment.

The 3s that I have (recent fazor), paired with my current amp, are just on the edge of uncomfortable at higher volume. I long for the days of the early Fazor from 2015 where I could crank it and revel in it's lushness. Hoping the 4s are the right side of comfortable with my current setup.
Let me know how they turn out.. I have same issue as you, but are thr audeze still unreliable? It seems like half of them are (back from the shop)

Mar 5, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #8,096 of 12,022
By the way, for a very forward punchy energetic headphone with a prominent mid-bass bump, not a lot of sub-bass, rich thick mids and dark treble, I'd recommend the Kennerton Vali. I love them. Not for all applications/not everyone's cup of tea, but they remain my fave for when I want to rock out. Kind of like the NightHawks to the next, more muscular level.

Mar 7, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #8,098 of 12,022
I thought the 2 and 3 were similar. But the 3 had more detail, which could be viewed as brighter in comparison to the 2. I guess, although I didn't hear it that way. But the rest of the audio chain has an impact as well.

Mar 7, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #8,099 of 12,022
The Z1R may be worth a listen. I have the LCD4 and Z1R currently. Used to have LCD2,3. The Sony is tamed in the treble, with plenty of mid-bass boost. Sub-bass isn't as prominent as the Audeze headphones. I find the Sony a very fun headphone. It is also easy to drive. I use it with my A&K se100 with excellent results.

Mar 23, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #8,100 of 12,022
Hello all,

I'm currently enjoying my honeymoon phase of owning a pair of LCD-4s - they're a wonderful thing to be trapped with in these uncertain times.

I do have a fairly strange question - long story short, I have two of these "magic" 1/4" blue cables that came with the original LCD-4 runs. I roll my eyes at cables in general and the hype surrounding things that become discontinued, but I am curious about them.

The current cables sell for $600 USD - were these blue cables priced that insanely?

Also, I am using the stock current braided XLR cable that sells for $150 off the Audeze website. Do you think I should re-terminate one of these blue cables to XLR, or is the stock cable perfectly fine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back