Audeze LCD-4
Jan 19, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #8,011 of 12,022
I have a seller who says the LCD-4 was manufactured in December 2019. He says the wood is Ebony color. In the Audeze pics- the color looks reddish- not black.

Can someone shed some light on this??

Jan 19, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #8,013 of 12,022
I have a seller who says the LCD-4 was manufactured in December 2019. He says the wood is Ebony color. In the Audeze pics- the color looks reddish- not black.

I would suggest asking for the serial and checking with Audeze if you’re concerned.

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #8,014 of 12,022

LCD-4 wood rings are made out of ebony, often with patches of lighter reddish overtones. Photo at the bottom of page is misleading, it is burl wood and we made only a couple of pairs. Although it is very nice looking it doesn't represent average production pair and it will be replaced with more representative photo.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jan 23, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #8,015 of 12,022
Has anyone had any experience on the LCD4 with the Neve RNHP amp?
I know it's not the kind of absolute powerhouse the LCD4 prefers, but I think I read somewhere that they still go together pretty well. I'm running my LCD-3 with the RNHP beautifully, but now I might get a good deal on the 4.

So the question is: in order to improve on the LCD3 does the 4 warrant a pricier amp? Because unfortunately there's no room for that in my budget.

i have used the lcd4 with rnhp. I think they pair quite well.

You have to crank the gain to 2-3 o’clock though.

The RNHP made me fall in love with LCD 4.
Previously, I tried them with high end amps and I was wondering why the LCD4 was a reference TOTL for Audeze. The 2-3 amps I tried did not give justice to the LCD4. They were 6-8x the price of the RNHP.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #8,016 of 12,022

I had the same concern when I bought my first LCD-4 having been under the impression that ebony was meant to represent the color which I took to mean black. I didn't realize it just meant the were using ebony wood. So though it seems to have darker tones to it than other woods I've seen its not entirely black. That being said after looking at it for a bit I realized just how damn sexy that shiny beautiful wood ring was next to the chrome grille and was glad that it was not black. Its just an overwhelmingly beautiful headphone both in looks and in sound and I assure you that you will not be dissapointed.

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #8,017 of 12,022
i have used the lcd4 with rnhp. I think they pair quite well.

You have to crank the gain to 2-3 o’clock though.

The RNHP made me fall in love with LCD 4.
Previously, I tried them with high end amps and I was wondering why the LCD4 was a reference TOTL for Audeze. The 2-3 amps I tried did not give justice to the LCD4. They were 6-8x the price of the RNHP.

Which amps did you try?

Jan 24, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #8,019 of 12,022
We all hear differently. I found the Woo WA5 paired magnificently with the LCD-4 and then I went and sold it. I missed the combo of the Woo and LCD-4 so much I took a couple steps up to the WA33 EE and am now loving my LCD-4 even more.

Jan 24, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #8,020 of 12,022
Hi Guys,

In the interest of headphone science I sent my LCD4 (2019 Version) to Oratory1990 in Vienna to be measured.

Here are the results:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nm18lctf4xwh7cg/Audeze LCD-4.pdf?dl=0

Here are some of his thoughts:

I have to say, in their stock form I am not a big fan of them. They are very smooth in the treble - too smooth for me, I am definitely missing energy mostly in the 4 kHz range. And the ever-present problem of Audeze headphones: too much energy in the 10 kHz+ range.

I played around with EQ a lot and ended up with this setting:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nm18lctf4xwh7cg/Audeze LCD-4.pdf?dl=0
This turns them on their head however - marvellous experience.

I do like them a lot with the EQ - they have virtually no distortion so you can do almost anything with the EQ without having to fear an increase of THD. The HD800 is a bit limited in that regard, although the settings that I personally use (1 dB less bass boost than the Harman Target prescribes) make no trouble as the THD is still below the audibility threshold.

If I had to decide between the 800S and the -4 (both being EQd) I'd go for the 800S for the following reasons:
- less than half the price
- lighter weight
- more space for my ears (the audeze earpads just ever so slightly touch my pinna)
- little difference in sound quality. Both have outstanding balance, immersion and "soundstage". The -4 is maybe slightly less harsh in the upper treble/air band - with EQ. Without EQ I find it to be severely unbalanced in that regard, way too much energy in the 10+ kHz band.

Jan 24, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #8,022 of 12,022
We all hear differently. I found the Woo WA5 paired magnificently with the LCD-4 and then I went and sold it. I missed the combo of the Woo and LCD-4 so much I took a couple steps up to the WA33 EE and am now loving my LCD-4 even more.

I currently drive my LCD-4 with a Woo WA5le. Really enjoy it. How much of a step up is the WA33? What are the differences that stand out. Thanks.

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #8,023 of 12,022
I currently drive my LCD-4 with a Woo WA5le. Really enjoy it. How much of a step up is the WA33? What are the differences that stand out. Thanks.
Take this with a grain of salt. Mine was a semi maxed out WA5 V1 with the internal upgrades and the Sophia tube upgrades. Also it has been gone for two years. I took delivery of the WA33 only on Dec 27. It is the WA33 Elite Edition with the EH45 and Takatsuki 274B upgrade tubes. I went instead with the EML2A3 Mesh power upgrade(not shown on Woo website) instead of the KR 2A3HP upgrade. I only received the EMLs this Tuesday and EML quotes a minimum of 50-100 hours of burn in (and as much as 300 hours possibly) so the potential of the amp is still in the future.

From faulty memory the WA33 adds a whole new quality and quantity of bass and subbass to the SQ. I believe I am also hearing a somewhat larger soundstage and increased clarity across the sound spectrum. This was initially with the stock power tubes. The EMLs with only about 10 hours on them brought all of the above to a new level. At first they were noisy upon initial installation but after only 10 hours they are settling down nicely. Even with BF discount and a little negotiating of tube prices the WA33 is horrendously expensive. But is head and shoulders above any other system I have tried at all the meets I have attended. I am done or at least until Audeze comes out with an LCD-5 or 6 and since the 4 is 5 years old a new model is either imminent or they have made a corporate decision to concentrate on gaming and lower level models.

Jan 24, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #8,024 of 12,022
Woo audio (i forgot which model, i think wa5 , questyle cma800 golden monoblock) all fed from dcs dac.
We also tried chord hugo and also cavalli small amp.

Interesting that you suspect it was the 5 yet didn't like it. We certainly all have preferences.:L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back