Audeze LCD-4
Oct 24, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #7,021 of 11,994
Shouldn't affect performance. The pads are attached via strong double sided tape rings. They're difficult to remove. You'll need new tape rings to attach new pads. I think the rings are between the pad and that felt-like material. The felt-like material is there to allow air in and out of the ear cup to help avoid high pressures which could damage the driver. Dekoni sells replacements. The Hybrid Elite is supposedly better than the stock and they may come with adhesive rings. I think they're around $85.

The Dekoni Hybrid Elite is what I have on my LCD-4. Very comfortable and very easy to install. Dekoni supplies the adhesive rings with the pads.

For aesthetic reasons , just put a bit of glue on the end of a toothpick and apply to the torn area. Then press that area against the housing for a minute to help it bond and it will look good (if done correctly using the glue sparingly). Otherwise, you can leave it as is because since it’s not going to affect performance.
Thanks guys. That’s very reassuring and helpful.

Oct 24, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #7,022 of 11,994
I find a Lazuli Reference cable really refines the LCD4 and gives them a nice balanced, musical sound over the whole spectrum.
I also was bothered by spikes in the upper mids/lower treble in vocals and other certain instruments.
Try the Lazuli. It's a nice match to the LCD4.
I’m currently struggling with my LCD4 for the same reason, especially now that improvements to my system have made everything cleaner with more resolution. The LCD4 is sometimes ok with the right kind of music, and using the supplied blue cable, but is hardly ever right with my Prion4 (great with my Utopia and HE1000v2), which is a high purity silver cable. I might try the Lazuli and will see if they are doing any Black Friday deals.

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #7,023 of 11,994
I’ve just noticed a 2cm long tear running along the top rear of one if my LCD4 earpads where they attach to the wooden drive housing (see photos). I had both drivers replaced under warranty earlier in the year and am not sure how long the tear has been there (I’m not one for swapping earpads around on any of my headphones and do not normally take an interest in how they are joined to the driver housing). Is this tear likely to affect performance? How easy would it be to replace the earpad? Is it likely to be expensive? I would be grateful for any advice.

That is hands down the worst part of the lcd-4

When I look at how beautiful they are and then you see a layer of glue tape holding your pad on.

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #7,024 of 11,994
BFC5FD6D-42AB-44B6-8917-E64E5AE97E4D.jpeg
Thanks guys. That’s very reassuring and helpful.
Audeze has changed earpads to a newer, more sturdy design for all their headphones to include the LCD-4. It’s user replaceable and costs about $80 for the set.
It’s the one on the left in the picture

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #7,026 of 11,994
After trying both premium LCD4 factory cables (blue and black & white), DHC Prion4, Forza Hybrid, Norne Draug, Norne Draug Silver, Wireworld Nano Platinum, and Wywires Red; my easy favorite is the Wireworld. Very balanced, dynamic, and highly resolving. It just sounds right.

Interesting. My preference is the Norne Draug All Silver balanced (6 leads). It sounds fantastic. The stock LCD4 cable albeit SE is way behind. Might be amp dependant as well, but on the V81 it really started singing on balanced.

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #7,027 of 11,994
Is there any detectable comfort change or pad-feel against your ears with the new pads?
How easy is it do change the pads?
Thank you and thanks for the alert on this.
I don’t own a pair with the new pads, but I did try on a set a few months ago with the new pads and I think they feel just as good as the older pads. Comfortable.

Oct 25, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #7,028 of 11,994
Got the V280 in and got a chance to really do some listening. It’s a treat, it really is. But I want to do some more listening and take more notes before making any comments. I really do like it, I’m just stuck unfairly comparing it to a loudspeaker system.

Haven’t had a chance to run the amp balanced in to balanced out yet because I’m short a set of cables. Need to grab some Mogami and Neutrik and make another set. Or maybe I’ll just disconnect the phono for the weekend while I wait. Can’t believe I didn’t think of it earlier.

And still waiting on a Norne cable my friend is having reterminated. So I’ll have that to comment on as well.

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #7,030 of 11,994
Can someone compare the LCD-4 to the pre-fazor LCD-2 and 3?

Clearly it's going to beat them in technical aspects, but how does the tonal balance compare? I get the feeling that bass might be a touch too emphasised and I've read things about treble issues.

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #7,031 of 11,994

Clearly it's going to beat them in technical aspects, but how does the tonal balance compare? I get the feeling that bass might be a touch too emphasised and I've read things about treble issues.
The pre-fazor LCD-2 I had was very rolled off and a lot of bass - a very euphonic listen. The fazor introduced a more pronounced treble and the LCD-4 builds on that. They're very different headphones in my experience.

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #7,032 of 11,994
The pre-fazor LCD-2 I had was very rolled off and a lot of bass - a very euphonic listen. The fazor introduced a more pronounced treble and the LCD-4 builds on that. They're very different headphones in my experience.

Would you say that the LCD-4 sounds natural and accurate? How does the timbre of instruments come across? I'm mostly looking for a flagship that lets me feel "I'm there" better than any other, as that is my ideal.

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #7,033 of 11,994
Would you say that the LCD-4 sounds natural and accurate? How does the timbre of instruments come across? I'm mostly looking for a flagship that lets me feel "I'm there" better than any other, as that is my ideal.
I've found that the LCD-4 will give you a clear window into your chain. It will reveal anything wrong (or right) with it. The LCD-4 is very capable of having excellent timbre and a holographic presentation. Someone that has experience with the Abyss and Utopia may be able to provide more insight.

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #7,034 of 11,994
I've found that the LCD-4 will give you a clear window into your chain. It will reveal anything wrong (or right) with it. The LCD-4 is very capable of having excellent timbre and a holographic presentation. Someone that has experience with the Abyss and Utopia may be able to provide more insight.

The LCD-4 is very heavy and is prone to driver failures due to pressure changes, even with the 200 Ohm version.

LCD-4 compared to LCD-3 had more sub-bass and was a little clearer sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back