Audeze LCD-4
Feb 9, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #6,436 of 11,994
When I had an LCD-3 and an LCD-X serviced under warranty, Audeze required proof of original ownership. This must be different for the LCD-4, or they changed the policy.

Feb 9, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #6,437 of 11,994
You must request test results from Audeze. The warranty covers the original purchaser only and is not transferable.

wrong,wrong!And one of the reasons I am a loyal Audeze customer...have had nothing but an easy time getting service for used HP's and new...never an issue or problem just as it should be!I owned the LCD-3 used and never had an issue....owned an LCD-4 used and also never and issue and recently my new LCD-4 had a driver issue and of course no issue

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #6,438 of 11,994
You must request test results from Audeze. The warranty covers the original purchaser only and is not transferable.
Warranty is 100% transferable to all further buyers

Feb 10, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #6,439 of 11,994
wrong,wrong!And one of the reasons I am a loyal Audeze customer...have had nothing but an easy time getting service for used HP's and new...never an issue or problem just as it should be!I owned the LCD-3 used and never had an issue....owned an LCD-4 used and also never and issue and recently my new LCD-4 had a driver issue and of course no issue
I contacted Audeze before buying my used LCD-4. As the buyer didn't have the original receipt, I wanted to know when the S/N was built, if it was ever serviced,...

They were VERY helpful in searching with me if the deal was legit and good, offering me B-stock alternatives allthough me being in Europe, but recognising the used deal I was looking into was probably better since it offered both a balanced and SE cable and was already in Europe, whereas their B-stock would still cost me a lot of taxes and import duties.

They took the time to explain me the differences between the blue premium cables and the new braided ones, and told me in all honesty the difference is really small so not worth several hundreds of euros.

They immediately recognised transferability of the drivers' warranty, despite the missing receipt. In lack of the latter, they informed me they would take the date of manufacture as the reference point.

I must say I was truly impressed. This is IMO the best customer service I EVER received. I was helped and catered in every way I could think of.
Just exemplary and it builds a ton of confidence!

Feb 10, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #6,440 of 11,994
I've had an EL8c and an LCD3 covered under warranty when I bought them used and had no receipt. In fact my LCD3 was 3 1/2 years old. Out of warranty, when left driver failed. They covered the repair, no muss no fuss. Truly remarkable service.

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #6,441 of 11,994
So you bought a $4k headphone and never even listened to them?

It’s kind of ridiculous to ask people here to elucidate the differences between them. It will do you no good anyway.

I heard the LCD4s at Can-Jam for 40 minutes in total, 20 minutes on the GSX MK2 fed by the Halo Spring DAC, and then off the DAVE direct. Both with my 4 test tracks which I know very well and use at hifi shows or demos when not at home. TBH the LCD4s v the 009s and BHSE right next to it was the reason I changed to the LCD4s (and LCD2 Classics). They are both playing at the very top level IMO, but my preference is leaning towards the warmer sound of the Audeze.

LCD4 mini review (more later)
I have had the LCD4s running overnight, and have had 4 hours of use so far. They are more detailed than the LCD2 for sure, but it is well placed and cohesive, very natural extension beyond the LCD2. Thankfully the mids are as liquid, better than the LCD2s and the bass as full and deep, lots of texture. I expect them to burn in yet, as the LCD2s did over 4 days roughly.

The LCD4s are really a move forward, getting towards the speed of the 009s with non of the treble lift or any hint of exaggerated edges to the notes. They also seem to be somewhat of a chameleon, different music genders and venues refuse to sound the same, which makes we think they are accurate to the source. They also scale well, and poor recordings are listenable at least, but the better ones are incredibly good, really big and wide, very 3D. Lots going on in the midrange as well and very controlled even when the music gets very busy. It all sounds so natural and real, and is close to my 2 channel horn speakers as in a big sound without any distractions or problems.

The build is also superb, very classy. If I can find a downside to them it has to be the weight. Coming from the feather touch 009s, the LCD4s are a monster for sure. It can't be the Carbon frame as that is a super light material, the wood is not so heavy I am guessing as bored out sections, so it must be the magnetic structures? But it is doable - just. If Audeze can improve on this HP it has to the weight.

So, very happy indeed, just as I remember the sound at Can-Jam and IMO has a LOT of the Sennheiser HE-1 sound to it, not lost much at all to that system if fed by a decent DAC. Interestingly I am managing to power it on 2V from my AMR DAC through to my Aurix on no gain setting at volume 3 o'clock, so not flat out but close. It sounds best on that setting. My incoming tubed DAC has 6v or 10v switchable, so I am thinking there is even more to come yet.

Anyone on the fence over the LCD4 and who likes the LCD2-C / Audeze sound (or a naturally smooth sound in general) I would say buy it, you won't be disappointed, I am delighted with it.

Feb 11, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #6,442 of 11,994
I heard the LCD4s at Can-Jam for 40 minutes in total, 20 minutes on the GSX MK2 fed by the Halo Spring DAC, and then off the DAVE direct. Both with my 4 test tracks which I know very well and use at hifi shows or demos when not at home. TBH the LCD4s v the 009s and BHSE right next to it was the reason I changed to the LCD4s (and LCD2 Classics). They are both playing at the very top level IMO, but my preference is leaning towards the warmer sound of the Audeze.

I have had the LCD4s running overnight, and have had 4 hours of use so far. They are more detailed than the LCD2 for sure, but it is well placed and cohesive, very natural extension beyond the LCD2. Thankfully the mids are as liquid, better than the LCD2s and the bass as full and deep, lots of texture. I expect them to burn in yet, as the LCD2s did over 4 days roughly.

The LCD4s are really a move forward, getting towards the speed of the 009s with non of the treble lift or any hint of exaggerated edges to the notes. They also seem to be somewhat of a chameleon, different music genders and venues refuse to sound the same, which makes we think they are accurate to the source. They also scale well, and poor recordings are listenable at least, but the better ones are incredibly good, really big and wide, very 3D. Lots going on in the midrange as well and very controlled even when the music gets very busy. It all sounds so natural and real, and is close to my 2 channel horn speakers as in a big sound without any distractions or problems.

The build is also superb, very classy. If I can find a downside to them it has to be the weight. Coming from the feather touch 009s, the LCD4s are a monster for sure. It can't be the Carbon frame as that is a super light material, the wood is not so heavy I am guessing as bored out sections, so it must be the magnetic structures? But it is doable - just. If Audeze can improve on this HP it has to the weight.

So, very happy indeed, just as I remember the sound at Can-Jam and IMO has a LOT of the Sennheiser HE-1 sound to it, not lost much at all to that system if fed by a decent DAC. Interestingly I am managing to power it on 2V from my AMR DAC through to my Aurix on no gain setting at volume 3 o'clock, so not flat out but close. It sounds best on that setting. My incoming tubed DAC has 6v or 10v switchable, so I am thinking there is even more to come yet.

Anyone on the fence over the LCD4 and who likes the LCD2-C / Audeze sound (or a naturally smooth sound in general) I would say buy it, you won't be disappointed, I am delighted with it.

Nice to read that you like the LCD4, I do too.

If the LCD4 is like the LCD3, 150-200 hours of burn in will change the sound quite a bit IME. I have never owned a headphone that have “open up” so much due to burn in as my LCD3.

Feb 11, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #6,443 of 11,994
Nice to read that you like the LCD4, I do too.

If the LCD4 is like the LCD3, 150-200 hours of burn in will change the sound quite a bit IME. I have never owned a headphone that have “open up” so much due to burn in as my LCD3.

Interesting. More to come then?
Right now I have Beyonce 'Speechless' in the front and beyond my head sounding more real than I ever heard before, solid imaging and great body to the voice. Wow, Redbook never sounded this good even on my big speakers. The way the LCD4 put the power down, it is amazing, like the drivers have solid pistons controlling them, no bass overhang or excitable treble going on here. Oddly I can hear secondary information that I didn't notice even on the 009s, in the mids and upper treble regions. It is all there to hear, no emphasis, just super smooth. Damb, this is a FANTASTIC HP from Audeze.

It does remind me a lot of the HE-1 sound I heard. The body and weight to the images it presents, without muddying the details and separation of the instruments, that is what the HE-1 was doing IMO. No in your face hifi going on, just the music.... The LCD4 it is a big sideways step for me being a hardcore Stax user for 20 years, both systems can 'do it' at the top of the league, just the Audeze way of doing it seems to sit with my own reality of how I hear music. It is all very personal of course....

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #6,444 of 11,994
Interesting. More to come then?
Right now I have Beyonce 'Speechless' in the front and beyond my head sounding more real than I ever heard before, solid imaging and great body to the voice. Wow, Redbook never sounded this good even on my big speakers. The way the LCD4 put the power down, it is amazing, like the drivers have solid pistons controlling them, no bass overhang or excitable treble going on here. Oddly I can hear secondary information that I didn't notice even on the 009s, in the mids and upper treble regions. It is all there to hear, no emphasis, just super smooth. Damb, this is a FANTASTIC HP from Audeze.

It does remind me a lot of the HE-1 sound I heard. The body and weight to the images it presents, without muddying the details and separation of the instruments, that is what the HE-1 was doing IMO. No in your face hifi going on, just the music.... The LCD4 it is a big sideways step for me being a hardcore Stax user for 20 years, both systems can 'do it' at the top of the league, just the Audeze way of doing it seems to sit with my own reality of how I hear music. It is all very personal of course....

I don’t know if LCD4 will open up as much as LCD3 because of burn in. I don’t think I have read any impressions that implies that. Other more "normal" burn in improvements maybe.

I always favor a more natural than neutral sound and LCD4 is the most tonally balanced HP I have heard. All the LCDs are intimate sounding, perfect for vocal and small club jazz etc, a bit too up close for some other types of music IMO. To me HE-1 sound very different to LCD4. I have only listened to the HE-1 for 15 minutes and was TBH not very impressed. Good on technically aspects, not so much tonally vice.

Feb 11, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #6,445 of 11,994
I don’t know if LCD4 will open up as much as LCD3 because of burn in. I don’t think I have read any impressions that implies that. Other more "normal" burn in improvements maybe.

I always favor a more natural than neutral sound and LCD4 is the most tonally balanced HP I have heard. All the LCDs are intimate sounding, perfect for vocal and small club jazz etc, a bit too up close for some other types of music IMO. To me HE-1 sound very different to LCD4. I have only listened to the HE-1 for 15 minutes and was TBH not very impressed. Good on technically aspects, not so much tonally vice.

In my HE-1 booked demo at Can-Jam in 2017, the staff were courteous but a bit clueless TBH. The choice of music was ripped CDs without covers, and no chance of putting my USB into the DAC they were using, which was a big T+A CD player/DAC combo, not the internal HE-1 DAC. However, I felt a got a good handle on it's sonics, and it was natural and full, slightly warm and not at all technical sounding, quite a different signature to electrostatics I had hear before. Still with the speed, but also full body and a very solid presentation.

I imagine the problem here could be the 15 minutes we seem to get in these quick demos at shows. But IMO it was doing many things very right, and beyond what I had heard before. It is rumoured that a HE-1 will be on semi permanent display in the UK soon, so I will grab some more time on it for sure.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #6,448 of 11,994
Any chance you can place the MX4 somewhere in that chain?

Any general comment about lcd-4 vs mx4 will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

LCD-4MX arrived today.

MAAAAAAAAN

I will do in-depth comparisons vs LCD-4 of a friend when we have time, but from the start, those are amazing.

Also, I didn't believe this, but those can be driven from a FiiO X7mkii w AM05. I mean, the bass control, clarity, detail and soundstage are on par with a good desktop amp.

4MX is also lightweight compared to other Audeze headphones, to the point where I find them to be enjoyable for a long time

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #6,449 of 11,994
Did Audeze stop giving out certificates with the purchase that told you when they were made?

I see a flash drive that talks warranty but nothing in the flash drive says when they were made..or the card with serial number...no manufacturers date

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #6,450 of 11,994
You get a serial card the size of a credit card., Then you go online and register the HP. I assume the sale would also be recorded via the dealer if you didn't buy it direct from Audeze.

BTW big shout out for the Hifi Lounge UK for the great service, and where I bought my LCD4.

Highend Headphones Interior-1-767x418.png
Highend Headphones Details-52-767x418.png
Highend Headphones Details-20-767x418.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back